When to ask for a crash report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to ask for a crash report

Someone recently ran into the back of my car. My car had only a few scratches, but the driver at fault asked to exchange information. They offered me cash, which i refused, and asked to please not involve the police or insurance.

I really did not care that my beater had a few more scratches on it, but I did have some muscle pain and did not feel great about giving my personal information to this person without having properly documented what actually happened. I decided to have the police do an incident report anyway.

When the police arrived, they spent about half an hour trying to convince me that I should just do an internal case report and not a formal police report because the car sustained very little damage. I assumed they just did not want to put in the work so i insisted.

Muscle pain aside, my biggest concern was that this person would google me, find out i'm a physician and sue or extort me.

From an asset protection stand point, did I do the right thing? When should and shouldn't you ask for a formal police report?

What was your goal with the police report? There's nothing wrong with filing one, you are well within your rights, but from a stealth wealth perspective, if you didn't need to, why did you?

Comment

Minor fender bender with no injuries on a beater where I wasn't at fault. "Yes, I'll take cash. My name is Smith".

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post
        What was your goal with the police report? There's nothing wrong with filing one, you are well within your rights, but from a stealth wealth perspective, if you didn't need to, why did you?
        Because if he needs to file for disability insurance/sue the insurance of the driver because this muscle pain turns into a herniated disc and OP cant stand for more than 1 hour anymore without taking a rest...that's why. It sounds like you were hit from behind, unless there is video proof showing you did some egregious reckless driving, then he cant extort you and if he tries to sue you, the police report defends you.

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post

Because if he needs to file for disability insurance/sue the insurance of the driver because this muscle pain turns into a herniated disc and OP cant stand for more than 1 hour anymore without taking a rest...that's why. It sounds like you were hit from behind, unless there is video proof showing you did some egregious reckless driving, then he cant extort you and if he tries to sue you, the police report defends you.
          What would be the risk in waiting a few weeks or longer to see what shakes out?

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post

What would be the risk in waiting a few weeks or longer to see what shakes out?
            You can't file a police report about the accident weeks later, that i know of.

Comment

Lawyers always tell me to make contemporaneous notes. Memory degrades very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sampter View Post
                Minor fender bender with no injuries on a beater where I wasn't at fault. "Yes, I'll take cash. My name is Smith".
                Yes, the other party can file a claim saying you were at fault. This actually happens.
                1) Tahoe backing up (ticked at the wait time) claims wife ran into her.
                2) Insurance fraud cutting off and causing an accident. 4 people mysteriously appear and claim to have been injured.
                Do what you want, but when you find you have a problem you are playing defense. Just saying.

Comment

If only you’d had a dash cam…

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower View Post
                    If only you’d had a dash cam…
                    Lol. I'm totally getting one this week
                    Probably this one
                    https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/731428

Comment

If you need me to do a Microsoft Paint of the crash scene just let me know. Should hold up in court, too.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                        If you need me to do a Microsoft Paint of the crash scene just let me know. Should hold up in court, too.
                        Are you going to post one of your samples?

Comment

You'd probably make a great re-enactment actor as well! Sell your microsoft paint creation as an NFT.

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post

You can't file a police report about the accident weeks later, that i know of.
                            correct. I asked and they said it had to be done on scene.

Comment

NFT please

Comment

Working...
                              X