Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomorrow morning when I wake up

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tomorrow morning when I wake up

    Tomorrow morning when I wake up, I will have transitioned from practicing physician to retired physician. I am in my mid fifties and am meeting the goal I set seven years ago. As I look forward to all that life holds going forward, I thank my patients, employees, and colleagues, and others I will cite individually: my dad, for teaching me to ignore the Joneses and that capital gains and dividends equivalent to a day’s pay meant a day’s pay I would not have to earn later; Dr. Jim Dahle, who showed me that investing is a one-player game and that the answer to “What should I do with this money?” is always “What does your investment policy statement say?”; my fellow professionals on this forum, who offer sage advice with respect and gentle humor; and John Bogle, who taught me the meaning of “enough”. Happy New Year to all!

  • #2
    Congrats!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      I hope to follow in your footsteps later this year. Congratulations on a job well done.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well done. Happy New Year!

        Comment


        • #5
          Congrats!
          If I may ask, I'm always a bit curious why so many people retire Dec 31 (including one of my colleagues last year and another this year). I have always thought it would be low-hanging fruit to work another 2-4 weeks and earn 4 more SS credits, fill up another year's worth of 401k (even Roth), etc. Are there advantages to Dec 31 that I'm not thinking of?

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes Congratulations! It should definitely be a Happy New Year. Welcome to the ranks of The Retired!

            Comment


            • #7
              Congratulations! All the best for new year and new phase of life.

              since I can’t ask this question in real life, If I may ask, How much was enough for you , (nest egg) ! If you don’t feel comfortable,please ignore my question .

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by East Tennessee MD View Post
                Tomorrow morning when I wake up, I will have transitioned from practicing physician to retired physician. I am in my mid fifties and am meeting the goal I set seven years ago. As I look forward to all that life holds going forward, I thank my patients, employees, and colleagues, and others I will cite individually: my dad, for teaching me to ignore the Joneses and that capital gains and dividends equivalent to a day’s pay meant a day’s pay I would not have to earn later; Dr. Jim Dahle, who showed me that investing is a one-player game and that the answer to “What should I do with this money?” is always “What does your investment policy statement say?”; my fellow professionals on this forum, who offer sage advice with respect and gentle humor; and John Bogle, who taught me the meaning of “enough”. Happy New Year to all!
                Awesome! It sounds like you are retiring completely - did you have any period of reduced time? Are you planning to keep your license?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Best of luck and enjoy retirement!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ticker View Post
                    Congrats!
                    If I may ask, I'm always a bit curious why so many people retire Dec 31 (including one of my colleagues last year and another this year). I have always thought it would be low-hanging fruit to work another 2-4 weeks and earn 4 more SS credits, fill up another year's worth of 401k (even Roth), etc. Are there advantages to Dec 31 that I'm not thinking of?
                    Agreed but at the same time there are low hanging fruit, golden handcuffs, incentive bonuses all the time. At this point in your career, an extra ~$100 per month in SS benefit is definitely not worth working 2-4 more months.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ticker View Post
                      Congrats!
                      If I may ask, I'm always a bit curious why so many people retire Dec 31 (including one of my colleagues last year and another this year). I have always thought it would be low-hanging fruit to work another 2-4 weeks and earn 4 more SS credits, fill up another year's worth of 401k (even Roth), etc. Are there advantages to Dec 31 that I'm not thinking of?
                      In my wife's company, March 1 is the date that people announce their retirements, to collect one last bonus chec which comes at the end of February. Where I work now, bonuses are in April, so I understand that May 1 is the date that people announce their retirements. In an ideal world, there would be better succession planning, but except for the folks at the top of the pyramid, you get punished for declaring earlier than you need to.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post

                        In my wife's company, March 1 is the date that people announce their retirements, to collect one last bonus chec which comes at the end of February. Where I work now, bonuses are in April, so I understand that May 1 is the date that people announce their retirements. In an ideal world, there would be better succession planning, but except for the folks at the top of the pyramid, you get punished for declaring earlier than you need to.
                        Yes, I agree. At my work we declare retirement as of the last day of January to wrap previous CY bonuses and allow retirement account vesting of whatever tranches are due. It pays to know the processing points.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Congratulations! Enjoy your retirement!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Congratulations!!!! Go do something fun!
                            Awesomeness!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              great work congrats

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X