Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazon prices

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Amazon prices

    It used to be that Amazon offered items cheaper than what you could find in store. Plus the convenience having everything shipped to your door. Now it feels like many items are way overpriced and you pay extra for the convenience.

    I was looking at horse stall mats for my garage as suggested in the home gym thread. If you’ve got a tractor supply nearby they are $48.

    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t?cm_vc=-10005

    Essentially the same thing on Amazon is $149.

    American Floor Mats - Horse/Stable Mats - Heavy Duty Stall Mats - Thick, Durable Rubber Flooring Solid Black 3/4" Thick - 4' x 6' Mat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RV3LQ48...XGJ41J7ZMXXFDZ

    I’ve noticed this for lots of smaller items too. Is this a new business model, or part of the “new normal”

  • #2
    Amazon hasn't been a discount place for quite a while. It still matches sales from big boxes though.

    Comment


    • #3
      bad example. Those stall mats are big and heavy. Can’t be packaged in a box.

      Comment


      • #4
        Stuff doesn’t seem any cheaper recently, just priced the same as the big box store, without the hassle of having to go to the big box store.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post
          bad example. Those stall mats are big and heavy. Can’t be packaged in a box.
          Ok, how about 32 oz mason jars

          12 pack at Walmart $11.47
          2 on Amazon $10.98

          if things were roughly the same price that would be fine. But a 500% markup? That’s ridiculous

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pierre View Post

            Ok, how about 32 oz mason jars

            12 pack at Walmart $11.47
            2 on Amazon $10.98

            if things were roughly the same price that would be fine. But a 500% markup? That’s ridiculous
            probably another bad example

            are those actually sold by Amazon, or a third party?

            Comment


            • #7
              I find you plenty of stuff elsewhere for way cheaper than Amazon. But you have to hunt around for it. You pay extra these days for the convenience of Amazon. I wanted to get some hiking shorts for my mom for Christmas, Macy’s Online had them for 75% cheaper. I sometimes look on Amazon for certain clothes, but they are normally significantly more expensive than I can get on my favorite specialty sites.

              I order a lot of fertilizers, minerals, and chemicals for my palm gardens and lawn. These are cheaper at specialty shops, and even through big box stores, than Amazon.

              I get various containers, trays, pots etc… from lab suppliers and commercial suppliers that are 10x more expensive on Amazon.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pierre View Post
                It used to be that Amazon offered items cheaper than what you could find in store. Plus the convenience having everything shipped to your door. Now it feels like many items are way overpriced and you pay extra for the convenience.

                I was looking at horse stall mats for my garage as suggested in the home gym thread. If you’ve got a tractor supply nearby they are $48.
                You picked the worst item to use as the basis for judgement. Getting those mats from some sort of farm supplier was always a hack for getting them super cheap. People who have stables aren't buying their supplies off of Amazon, so people using them for home gyms are a different market and there is a big markup.

                I bought some for my home gym about 10 years ago. There was the same price difference for this item between amazon and the local farm supplier (which was a 1hr round trip).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Books and electronics were Amazon’s price advantage primarily due to logistics.
                  Retailers have upped their supply chains as well.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post
                    I find you plenty of stuff elsewhere for way cheaper than Amazon. But you have to hunt around for it. You pay extra these days for the convenience of Amazon. I wanted to get some hiking shorts for my mom for Christmas, Macy’s Online had them for 75% cheaper. I sometimes look on Amazon for certain clothes, but they are normally significantly more expensive than I can get on my favorite specialty sites.

                    I order a lot of fertilizers, minerals, and chemicals for my palm gardens and lawn. These are cheaper at specialty shops, and even through big box stores, than Amazon.

                    I get various containers, trays, pots etc… from lab suppliers and commercial suppliers that are 10x more expensive on Amazon.
                    what is your go to garden supply place?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You have to look around and know your prices. We recently bought some basement shelving and got it cheaper direct from the company website than Amazon. I don't think this is anything new, been that way for a long time.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I find myself only using Amazon now for hard to get items. I needed a new magnetic garbage disposal stopper. Two big box and three local hardware stores later I ordered off of Amazon and it was here the next day. Most other items I try to shop local because Amazon isn't cheaper.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We buy diapers, wipes, etc on Amazon. Same price as big box store and have them show up when needed.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post
                            We buy diapers, wipes, etc on Amazon. Same price as big box store and have them show up when needed.
                            Subscribe and save! We are pretty excited to see the light at the end of the tunnel for diapers!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Amazon is typically more expensive. They provide “free shipping” but they pass the cost on to the customer and then claim free shipping.
                              Example, the above mats. You think those actually ship free? No. They charge $100 more on Amazon to pay for some of the shipping fees.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X