Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DEA for different states

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DEA for different states

    Good morning
    So I have an active Illinois license DEA , and my California license just got approved But they want me to “transfer” my DEA to California

    Which means I can only prescribe medication ( Even non controlled ones) in California only And cannot prescribe any medication in Illinois even though I have an active license there

    I was planning on doing some telemedicine sessions before my job in California starts right now because of this restriction They are telling me I cannot prescribe in California and Illinois at the same time

    I don’t understand the this , please help

  • #2
    You can get more than one dea license (ie one for every state) or you can transfer one you already have to a new state. Each time you get one it’s another $750

    Comment


    • #3
      Hopefully somebody will chime in, but I thought DEA was for scheduled drugs?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by G View Post
        Hopefully somebody will chime in, but I thought DEA was for scheduled drugs?
        Me too
        spoke with our DEA office in IL and they are saying “ prescribe at your own risk even penicillin without DEA “ wtf

        Comment


        • #5
          What? I thought an npi was the only thing needed to prescribe meds. Dea for controlled substances.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by nastle View Post

            Me too
            spoke with our DEA office in IL and they are saying “ prescribe at your own risk even penicillin without DEA “ wtf
            That seems rather bizarre, just dont prescribe any controlled meds ?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by childay View Post

              That seems rather bizarre, just dont prescribe any controlled meds ?
              My thoughts exactly
              but DEA office is saying don’t do that
              makes no sense to me

              Comment


              • #8
                They want their 750 bucks!

                Comment


                • #9
                  My DEA is in Washington, I’m still prescribing stuff in florida

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You learn something new everyday

                    Question: Once I obtain a DEA registration can I prescribe controlled substances anywhere in the United States as it is a Federal number?
                    Answer: No. A DEA individual practitioner registration is based on a State license to practice medicine and prescribe controlled substances. DEA relies on State licensing boards to determine whether a practitioner is qualified to dispense, prescribe, or administer controlled substances and to determine which schedules he/she may dispense, prescribe, or administer. State authority to conduct the above-referenced activities only confers rights and privileges within the issuing State. Thus, a DEA registration based on a State license cannot authorize controlled substance dispensing outside the State. See Registration Requirements for Individual Practitioners Operating in a "Locum Tenens" Capacity, 75 FR 55499, 55501 (Oct. 28, 2009); 21 U.S.C. 823(f); 21 CFR 1306.03(a). EO-DEA089, October 21, 2020

                    https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/f...ration_faq.htm

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gmed120 View Post
                      You learn something new everyday

                      Question: Once I obtain a DEA registration can I prescribe controlled substances anywhere in the United States as it is a Federal number?
                      Answer: No. A DEA individual practitioner registration is based on a State license to practice medicine and prescribe controlled substances. DEA relies on State licensing boards to determine whether a practitioner is qualified to dispense, prescribe, or administer controlled substances and to determine which schedules he/she may dispense, prescribe, or administer. State authority to conduct the above-referenced activities only confers rights and privileges within the issuing State. Thus, a DEA registration based on a State license cannot authorize controlled substance dispensing outside the State. See Registration Requirements for Individual Practitioners Operating in a "Locum Tenens" Capacity, 75 FR 55499, 55501 (Oct. 28, 2009); 21 U.S.C. 823(f); 21 CFR 1306.03(a). EO-DEA089, October 21, 2020

                      https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/f...ration_faq.htm
                      But if you have license of 2 different states then you cannot prescribe in those 2 states ?
                      I think the question was if I have DEA then I can prescribe controlled in ANY state

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by nastle View Post

                        But if you have license of 2 different states then you cannot prescribe in those 2 states ?
                        I think the question was if I have DEA then I can prescribe controlled in ANY state
                        You can only prescribe controlled substance in that state for the DEA you have tied to that state. Not in other states.

                        But you can prescribe non controlled in states where you have license to practice, with no need for DEA. You can sometimes skirt around it. Rarely my patients go from SC to say Ohio for a few months. I prescribe their non controlled med in the Walmart in SC and the Walmart in Ohio can access it and dispense it though I don't hold a Ohio medical license

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You can have multiple DEA numbers if you have licenses in multiple states. However, you will pay for each DEA (can't use the same number in different states). I've had to do this in the past, which is a lot of money!

                          If you are moving to the new state and won't be practicing in the old state, a lot easier (and cheaper) to transfer over. However, you should still be able to prescribe all non-controlled substances as long as you have a state license.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You can have multiple DEA's (including in the same state if necessary). I have 3: 1 clinical, 2 for EMS agencies where I serve as medical director.

                            To the person with a DEA in Washington writing scripts in Florida, if they're controlled substances and the DEA finds out, you'll have a nice hefty fine.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by southerndoc View Post
                              You can have multiple DEA's (including in the same state if necessary). I have 3: 1 clinical, 2 for EMS agencies where I serve as medical director.

                              To the person with a DEA in Washington writing scripts in Florida, if they're controlled substances and the DEA finds out, you'll have a nice hefty fine.
                              What if they are not controlled substances?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X