No announcement yet.

Home Gym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone used tonal and if so recommend it? I'm not trying to get ripped and don't want to really get into the discussion of the proper way being free weights etc. I want something compact that can make me less sedentary and relatively fit. It is not my intention to get shredded bodybuilding style. If its space saving and works well, I'd be willing to part with the cash.

Comment

Originally posted by medicoFIRE View Post
      anyone used tonal and if so recommend it? I'm not trying to get ripped and don't want to really get into the discussion of the proper way being free weights etc. I want something compact that can make me less sedentary and relatively fit. It is not my intention to get shredded bodybuilding style. If its space saving and works well, I'd be willing to part with the cash.
      There is so much you can do without any equipment at all. How athletic are you? Start with bodyweight stuff and jogging. If you are able to do that consistently than start buying expensive equipment.

I feel like those "total gym" things like tonal or bowflex are just bought by suckers who want to be healthy so they shell out the cash but they machines kind of suck and if the person had commitment they will outgrow it fast and if they do not they will just hang clothes from it.

Comment

I have the bowflex for many years, agree most everything can be done with some dumbells except the bowflex is good for upper back ,/ lats which is otherwise hard to do on your own, especially when you get too weak to to a pull up

Comment

Originally posted by medicoFIRE View Post
          You can’t buy your way to getting in better shape. (And you don’t have to) You would get better results with a simple pair of dumbbells and some basic compound exercises and cardio. Very little space needed.

I love when people say, “I don’t want to get ripped” or “I don’t want to get too big with muscles”. It’s like saying, “I don’t shoot baskets in the driveway, because I don’t want to accidentally become Michael Jordan”…. As if that could even happen if you quit your job, and made it the focus of your entire life for decades, and had ideal genetic gifts.

On a basic level, find something you love, that you’ll enjoy and do consistently. The simple things are much, much more effective then the fancy stuff.

My wife did every fancy, expensive, froufrou activity and fad popular diet strategies for years with Ok results. After many years, I got her to join my old school gym. She learned basic, simple resistance training and changed her diet focus to simple macro calculating. Nothing fancy. The results were violent and fast. After a year or two she could basically be as skinny or as muscular as she wanted with weights and eating, and was kind of amazed. She would go back to a class here or there but each time found them to be kind if silly, inefficient, and low yield after that, but she still enjoys the social aspects sometimes.

We were talking the other day, and she can’t believe that she wasted so many years focused on that stuff. (If only she could have somehow started earlier).

As a side note though, on blowing money on fitness…. The garage home gym renovation set-up is now up to $10,000 here. Flooring arrives to tomorrow. Still have to get a giant, impact glass wall mirror. Ended up spending $8k on the rack and add-ons, benches, bars, plates, dumbbells, collars, and fifty other odds and ends. We haven’t spent any money in 2 years, so for us it’s worth it to bring that area up to speed with the rest of the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post

I love when people say, “I don’t want to get ripped” or “I don’t want to get too big with muscles”.

I only hear this from women. Never from a dude. And you're right, it's not something one is in danger of accidentally doing.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaDoc View Post
              Poorly.

I would invest in a dumbbell set, an adjustable incline bench, a floor mat, resistance bands, and 1 or 2 cardio machines as budget allows. Add power rack and barbell if you want to add bench press and pullups. Find a good workout routine online or on youtube.
              Cardio machines? Dumbbell set and rack? Haha... how much space, money, or how many rooms are you going to dedicate to the "mini home gym"?

Resistance bands set with bar for about $50 are very compact and good for travel. That is all you need (usually better than most hotel gyms). You can still do a bunch of things, esp if you have the bar to go with couple width bands... band curls, pushups, squat, dead, tricep pushdown, rows, etc etc.

For the home gym, all you really need is the same $50 bands set and a large mat set or scrap thick rug(s), a $50 bench with incline (pref decline too), and ~$400 adjustable dumbells with stand (Bowflex SelecTech or similar). I like to add a doorway pullup bar / knee raise, a mirror or two, heavy bag, jump rope. You only need about a 10x10 or 12x12 space for all of that.

Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post
              ...I love when people say, “I don’t want to get ripped” or “I don’t want to get too big with muscles”. It’s like saying, “I don’t shoot baskets in the driveway, because I don’t want to accidentally become Michael Jordan”….
              Yeah, Arnold talks about this in both of his books. It is just one of many cop outs ppl use to not put in the work.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post
                Been doing 7 min HIIT J&J app workouts with my 12 y/o. Free. Ramps up heart rate. Builds strength(but not bulk). Cheap way to maintain v-lines(that and biking).
                7 mins? Where have I heard this before?

What if someone comes out with 6 mins?

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod View Post

It’s already down to 4 minutes with Tabata. I think that may have actually been the original science. Anyone who says they do HIIT for much longer is lying to themselves on what high intensity really means.

Comment

You can adjust it to 6 or lower if you'd like. You can can run multiple reps. You can have just one rep with 30+ different 30 second exercise. Totally adjustable to your wants and desires. But yeah, if my daughter says that she wants to work out, I drop everything and do the workout with her.

Comment

Buy the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and read the whole thing. Then, an inexpensive but stable squat rack, a simple flat bench, a cheap barbell and cheap Olympic plates are all you need. There is an A workout and a B workout you alternate for a total of 3 workouts each week. Each workout can be done in about 30 minutes.

Comment

I will not explain this reference, am saddened.

Comment

I am right there with ya!

Who works out in 6 minutes anyway? You can't even get your heart going!

Comment

Sorry, the only thing I remember about it was white hair gel sticking on his hair.

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post

Wait, so you row 1-2x/wk or you use it as a remote control holder 1-2x/wk?

John22 As has been discussed here extensively, Concept2 is the rower that you want. I also second the NordicTrack incline trainer. I have put both through thousands of hours without issue aside from expected stuff (bearings on rower seat, shock cord on handle, belt on trainer).
                              Both. And when I row, I just do 1000m per time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I am right there with ya!

Who works out in 6 minutes anyway? You can't even get your heart going!
                                My last day off I did a 3 hour mountain bike ride(3k ft of climbing), an hour of gardening, 2 hours of wall climbing, 30 minutes of pickleball. I could have kept on going and certainly wasn't beat. I'm pretty good at zone 3-4. But when I do the 7 minute work out, zone 5 kills me. I just depends how hard you do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X