No announcement yet.

Home Gym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 dollars for the ab wheel. If you have the conviction to get this going, then splurge on the heavy stuff.

Comment

I own a pretty nice set of free weights now. Pull up bar, squat rack, bench, a couple of barbells, a curl bar for my vanity, more plates than I can lift, a set of dumbbells, and my most recent addition, a back extension rack. I can do more exercises than I have time or energy for.

I don't know anyone serious about working out regularly that uses something like a BowFlex, but I'm sure there's someone.
      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Bowflexes are the active fund managers of the fitness world. They're shiny, cost a pretty penny, and claim to give you something that nothing else can. Sure, some people use them but you're a lot better off without it.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
          Bowflexes are the active fund managers of the fitness world. They're shiny, cost a pretty penny, and claim to give you something that nothing else can. Sure, some people use them but you're a lot better off without it.
          I hear they are useful to hang your clothes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I hear they are useful to hang your clothes on.
            i bet 75% of all purchased home fitness products are rarely used. if you never use it you're paying too much. if you use it frequently its probably worth a few thousand dollars up front to drop your gym membership.

Comment

Originally posted by triad View Post

i bet 75% of all purchased home fitness products are rarely used. if you never use it you're paying too much. if you use it frequently its probably worth a few thousand dollars up front to drop your gym membership.
              I strongly disagree! It must be closer to 95%. Especially after the buying spree last year on home workout equipment.

Comment

+1 for skip the machine and buy dumbbells'. One adjustable set of dumbbells and an adjustable bench and there are dozens if not hundreds of exercises you can do.

If you have a lot of space and $$$ buy a whole set of dumbbells 5-X and store them in a rack:

If you have some $$ but want to limit space, then buy a set of powerblocks or ironmaster adjustable dumbbells. I have a set of powerblocks that go from 5-90 pounds and love them. unlike traditional adjustable dumbbells with plates and a handle you don't get the large handle sticking out, and changing weights is infinitely faster, plus less rattle from plates hitting each other. Avoid the bowflex adjustables, those are fragile and break easily.

If you have neither $$ nor space then buy some used adjustable dumbbells of the old fashioned type, handles + plates. They get the job done, just take a lot longer to change weight.

https://powerblock.com/product/pro-series-expandable/

Comment

+1 for the Powerblocks. Get those and a bench and you can go quite a ways.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTodd View Post
                    +1 for skip the machine and buy dumbbells'. One adjustable set of dumbbells and an adjustable bench and there are dozens if not hundreds of exercises you can do.

If you have a lot of space and $$$ buy a whole set of dumbbells 5-X and store them in a rack:

If you have some $$ but want to limit space, then buy a set of powerblocks or ironmaster adjustable dumbbells. I have a set of powerblocks that go from 5-90 pounds and love them. unlike traditional adjustable dumbbells with plates and a handle you don't get the large handle sticking out, and changing weights is infinitely faster, plus less rattle from plates hitting each other. Avoid the bowflex adjustables, those are fragile and break easily.

If you have neither $$ nor space then buy some used adjustable dumbbells of the old fashioned type, handles + plates. They get the job done, just take a lot longer to change weight.

https://powerblock.com/product/pro-series-expandable/
                    I have the bowflex adjustable weights and I agree they kinda suck. They are clunky and wobble. If I could do it again I would go with the powerblocks

Comment

One addition we made to our home gym which I love is the Octane Fitness ZR8000. We have a Precor treadmill that we have used for years and I was starting to get some chronic impact stress issues in my feet. The Octane allows you to run naturally without the pounding. I still do a bit on the treadmill to maintain bone density but most of my running is on the Octane. Pricey but worth it if the chronic pounding starts to affect you.

Comment

Have steadily built and added to the home gym each year since residency and now it is quite impressive. Typically cheapest to buy during black Friday sales as shipping is free which can matter a lot for heavy weights. As others have said, avoid the Bowflex. The single best site for all garage equipment is GarageGymReviews. Coop (site owner) is awesome and does reviews on everything.

My 2 cents...

-Flooring: rubber 4x6 foot horse stall mats are easily best bang for your buck Cheap and bought at tractor supply. Weigh 100 lbs each. Can lay one down below a cardio machine or buy enough to fill an entire room. Pro tip - leave outside for a week or two and clean with simple green prior to bringing inside to minimize the initial rubber smell.

High Yield Purchases:
                        -Powerblocks Adjustable Dumbbells
                        -PowerRack: lots of options here but that is the workhorse for everything in my gym. There are heavy duty ones but the Rogue R3 PowerRack is relatively inexpensive, small footprint and is a great starting place. Squats, Bench, Deadlift, overhead pullups are all done in there.
                        -Barbell: don't skimp on this.
                        -Plates: bumper plates are extra but imho worth the extra cost as they're versatile and are quieter if there are others in household. Iron are cheapest but good starter.
                        -Flat Bench: Rogue Monster Utility Bench 2.0 with Thompson fat pad is pretty impressive.
                        -Jump Rope: cheap and effective.
                        -Cardio Machine: depends on what you like doing. Concept2 Rower is probably the hardest cardio I do and the costs for a rower are much better than bike or treadmill and less maintenance. But if peloton or treadmill is your thing, then do something you'll like.

2nd Tier: many on my personal wishlist
                        -Adjustable Bench: Rogue or Rep Fitness. Consider in addition to flat bench ore instead of.
                        -Medicine Balls
                        -Plyo Box: Rep Fitness is the best
                        -Glute Ham Developer

I'd pick 2-3 things you'd be most interested in and buy them each year to complete your gym. Expensive but ROI for overall health and time savings is massive.

Comment

Originally posted by JK View Post
                          Have steadily built and added to the home gym each year since residency and now it is quite impressive. Typically cheapest to buy during black Friday sales as shipping is free which can matter a lot for heavy weights. As others have said, avoid the Bowflex. The single best site for all garage equipment is GarageGymReviews. Coop (site owner) is awesome and does reviews on everything.

My 2 cents...

-Flooring: rubber 4x6 foot horse stall mats are easily best bang for your buck Cheap and bought at tractor supply. Weigh 100 lbs each. Can lay one down below a cardio machine or buy enough to fill an entire room. Pro tip - leave outside for a week or two and clean with simple green prior to bringing inside to minimize the initial rubber smell.

High Yield Purchases:
                          -Powerblocks Adjustable Dumbbells
                          -PowerRack: lots of options here but that is the workhorse for everything in my gym. There are heavy duty ones but the Rogue R3 PowerRack is relatively inexpensive, small footprint and is a great starting place. Squats, Bench, Deadlift, overhead pullups are all done in there.
                          -Barbell: don't skimp on this.
                          -Plates: bumper plates are extra but imho worth the extra cost as they're versatile and are quieter if there are others in household. Iron are cheapest but good starter.
                          -Flat Bench: Rogue Monster Utility Bench 2.0 with Thompson fat pad is pretty impressive.
                          -Jump Rope: cheap and effective.
                          -Cardio Machine: depends on what you like doing. Concept2 Rower is probably the hardest cardio I do and the costs for a rower are much better than bike or treadmill and less maintenance. But if peloton or treadmill is your thing, then do something you'll like.

2nd Tier: many on my personal wishlist
                          -Adjustable Bench: Rogue or Rep Fitness. Consider in addition to flat bench ore instead of.
                          -Medicine Balls
                          -Plyo Box: Rep Fitness is the best
                          -Glute Ham Developer

I'd pick 2-3 things you'd be most interested in and buy them each year to complete your gym. Expensive but ROI for overall health and time savings is massive.
                          If you ever get a GHD, let us know...it is on my wishlist, but the space to use ratio is hard to justify.

I have a large flat rock outside that is a perfect plyo box.

I have one medicine ball that was gifted. I think I used it once.

Comment

I have a spare bedroom in the basement. We never use it. I have been thinking of converting to a home gym. Can buy more equipment as I figure things out.

any tips on where to start? Once we get rid of the carpet and bed is there a recommended flooring to put down? If I’m going to do this want to start right and not buy some cheap leggo rubber mats to try and piece together.

it’s a standard size bedroom. Some moderate free weights and more cardio equipment. Nothing crazy. Concrete base

Comment

Originally posted by Bellescamp View Post
                              I have a spare bedroom in the basement. We never use it. I have been thinking of converting to a home gym. Can buy more equipment as I figure things out.

any tips on where to start? Once we get rid of the carpet and bed is there a recommended flooring to put down? If I’m going to do this want to start right and not buy some cheap leggo rubber mats to try and piece together.

it’s a standard size bedroom. Some moderate free weights and more cardio equipment. Nothing crazy. Concrete base
                              How tall is ceiling?
                              JK above is right on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellescamp View Post

Get a heavy thick rubber for flooring. As mentioned above, the horse stall mats from Tractor Supply or anywhere else who carries them work great.

Get a good rack. Rogue is super expensive but there’s some other lower cost quality ones like Rep or Klutch.

@JK nailed pretty much everything above but I agree about getting a quality barbell. The Ohio bars from Rogue are expensive but they’re fantastic.

A home gym is so much easier to use. You can go anytime and don’t waste time driving to and from, etc. The only downside is you won’t be able to make fun of the excessive grunters.

Comment

Working...
                                X