Home Gym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Gym

I would like to invest in a mini home gym.
    Anyone here has a resistance cable-based machines like Bowflex? I want to know how it really feels in comparison to a regular home gym machines with regular weights.
    I am looking at this one
    https://www.bowflex.com/home-gyms/re...on/160000.html
    I'm open to hear your personal experience for your home gym
    Thanks

Poorly.

I would invest in a dumbbell set, an adjustable incline bench, a floor mat, resistance bands, and 1 or 2 cardio machines as budget allows. Add power rack and barbell if you want to add bench press and pullups. Find a good workout routine online or on youtube.

Comment

If you're going to do it then do it right. Get free weights.

Comment

I agree that they kinda suck. It really doesn't take much to have a very effective gym with traditional weights. Except everything is so darn expensive now.

We have been doing Beachbody on demand and it is crazy how little I need. I see this jacked instructor pick up a 35lbs dumbbell for chest press and I was confused until I realized it was 60 reps before you put it down. I am not totally in love with the style but I see the merit.

We are good at ignoring the sales pitches for their nutritional line so the subscription is cheap for us.

Comment

Bought a squat rack, bench, dumbbells, barbell, plates, bands, battle rope, stationary bike, and couple of pulleys over the past 2 years. Life changing. I shouldn't have waited as long as I did.

Never used the Bowflex so can't comment. Always thought it seemed too good to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
            If you're going to do it then do it right. Get free weights.
            Yeah, this.

Comment

Get what cody mentioned. I used a bowflex when I was a child, thats all it was good for. If something was good, you'd see it in the gym, you dont see those bowflexes in apartment gyms or planet fitness for a reason.

Comment

Thank you all for the great input
                any recs for a great non-peloton bike?

Comment

We built a gym into our home upon construction about a year ago. I figured Id get many of the things listed above, however at the moment I have a Peloton bike, 50 lb adjustable dumbells, and a pull up bar/dip station on the wall. Thats it. I dont feel the need for anything else honestly, meets my goals. Im passed the meathead stage of life and am simply looking to maintain an athletic build, for which this has been adequate

Comment

Schwinn IC4 bike with Peloton app on an iPad
                    heavy, well made, saves $1000

Comment

Agree with the adjustable weights, as these make a big difference at home and offer a lot of options. We have added to our gym over time. Will eventually need a new treadmill, but our current one has lasted 10 years and still works just fine.

We initially had a non-peloton bike. Bought a magnetic resistance bike that was really decent. Eventually upgraded to peloton, which I like even more than my other bike. But any decent magnetic resistance bike should work and last a long time.

Comment

There really isn’t a comparison between gimmicky machines and simple traditional free weights. We are going to install a nice Rogue power rack set up, with a barbells, a couple adjustable benches, and dumbbell rack and a chin-up set up, probably later this year… Just to do basic free weight workouts at home.

Lately we both are just too slammed to get to the gym with regularity like we want to, and used to, pre-pandemic. His won’t be cheap, but will fill in the holes when we can’t get all the way to the gym.

You can do a lot with even a basic dumbbell set up and an adjustable bench.

Comment

Get a wooden box for box jumps or step ups and kettle bells. You can work every muscle group and get cardio in a small space with minimal expense using these few items.

Comment

I got this: https://www.motionfitness.com/bodycr...e-p/bc-gxp.htm
                            similar quality to most gyms. I'm happy with the purchase

Comment

have a bow flex that we might many years ago. A former NFL player had one at home and told me really liked it. I used it for years but prefer dumbbells.

We have an elliptical, stationery bike, adjustable dumbbells . These are plenty, and we use peloton and Apple fitness classes, which offer weight training, core, yoga, and of course, spinning .

Comment

Working...
                              X