No announcement yet.

Mayfield tornado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My town was hit by multiple tornados in 2011. My office was not hit but the power was off a week. The hospital operated with generator power for several days. No elective surgery. Very disruptive to say the least. It was the only time I used my office overhead insurance policy.

Comment

Please continue the updates, I am sure I am not the only one that would like to hear how things are going and ways we can help out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
        My town was hit by multiple tornados in 2011. My office was not hit but the power was off a week. The hospital operated with generator power for several days. No elective surgery. Very disruptive to say the least. It was the only time I used my office overhead insurance policy.
        Interesting... I was thinking you practiced in Southern California.

Comment

jfoxcpacfp
          I'm so sorry for your community. Sending lots of strength and positive energy to you and your community.

Comment

I hope that is the right link because I donated to it. It is in Mayfield Ky.
            Can't hurt. I will do the same.

https://www.mayfieldshelter.com

Comment

Thank you for letting me know about the link and SO MUCH for taking the time to look up how to donate. Yes, it is the Mayfield Animal Shelter. They are such hardworking dedicated people and have been sharing some awful stories that will hopefully have happy endings, such as sweet pup tied to a tree during the tornado! Some of the animals will end up better off than they were previously, but there are so many…

Since you asked…
              If you’ve noticed the green sign on the side of a building that says “Mayfield, More Than a Memory”, it is a former law office my hubs bought before his death. It was the only building left intact to the roof on the block, but gutted, of course. He wanted to turn it into a speakeasy 😁.

The candle factory that collapsed? My husband built that when he moved his sportswear manufacturing facility to Mayfield. He sold it to a good friend of ours, to use for the candle factory when he could no longer compete with clothing manufacturers offshore and in Mexico…not a political statement - I have always supported free market enterprise, here and abroad. And it was time to retire and do something else ;-). Knowing his building collapsed and killed people would have devastated him, I am glad he did not have to witness this.

All of the old entrenched law firms are leveled. As best I could tell from my dealings with them, they were not digitized to create docs in pdf but they should have files in Word. Hopefully, they had enough warning to make current backups to offsite location. Courthouse like most small town courthouses, lots of old huge deed books. Really wondering about this if there were no digital records.

And through all of this, the worst I’ve had is 1 day without water. It is a strange feeling - so much suffering 3 miles away and here I am walking dogs around the subdivision. Elbow fracture and can’t even do anything physical except donate. Thankful for the means to be able to do so.

Here is a custom link for the Animal Shellter bit.ly/MayfieldFurBabies Thank you thank you thank you all for your generosity.
              Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by SLC OB View Post

Interesting... I was thinking you practiced in Southern California.
                no. I practice far away from southern California both culturally and cost of living wise. I practiced in Northern Alabama. This made my day.

Comment

I saw the sign on TV.
                  I also saw the owner of the candle factory as well. You jumped to conclusions, he had nothing but praise for the building. All employees were sheltering in the restrooms , solid concrete block walls that HE said saved so many lives.
                  Your husband would be proud.

Just a suggestion. The memories and events are happening so fast. Make a journal of some type. Document the stories and the recovery events and human elements. This will be a 10 year tale that fades from the news cycle. Believe me, the public support will fade.

You can publish the rebuild story with profits all going to The Bobfather’s Speakeasy”. The working title is “Mayfield, More Than a Memory”.
                  Many survivors might write their own short stories, success and failures. Writing helps people deal with tragedy.

It won’t appeal to the masses. However, it will bring tears to the eyes of those that endured this catastrophe.
                  And they will drop in to the Speakeasy for sure.
                  Survival is the name of the game now.

Just a suggestion based on post Katrina experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    I saw the sign on TV.
                    I also saw the owner of the candle factory as well. You jumped to conclusions, he had nothing but praise for the building. All employees were sheltering in the restrooms , solid concrete block walls that HE said saved so many lives.
                    Your husband would be proud.

Just a suggestion. The memories and events are happening so fast. Make a journal of some type. Document the stories and the recovery events and human elements. This will be a 10 year tale that fades from the news cycle. Believe me, the public support will fade.

You can publish the rebuild story with profits all going to The Bobfather’s Speakeasy”. The working title is “Mayfield, More Than a Memory”.
                    Many survivors might write their own short stories, success and failures. Writing helps people deal with tragedy.

It won’t appeal to the masses. However, it will bring tears to the eyes of those that endured this catastrophe.
                    And they will drop in to the Speakeasy for sure.
                    Survival is the name of the game now.

thanks, Tim - I would never attempt to make/take money from anything like that, but it’s an interesting reminder that it would be wonderful if someone memorialized all of the stories while they are fresh.
                    Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

no. I practice far away from southern California both culturally and cost of living wise. I practiced in Northern Alabama. This made my day.
                      We are all neighbors in some way...all depends on frame of mind.

But to get me to say....roll tide? Go Blue! See at the championship game!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

Speaking of Katrina, I think I have posted this on one of our reading threads, but Five Days at Memorial (what the hospital team experienced during and post-hurricane) is a fantastic read.

Comment

I am so sorry, you have so many personal connections to everything there, I suppose that's small town life though. Do you get the sense that the town will rebuild? Do you own that building that is standing and if so, I'm curious what you might do with it?

I will say that along with the loss I felt after our hurricane, also came pride after we rebuilt. The way the community and town came together, it still amazes me every year we go back to visit. I truly hope a year from now you will be able to say the same thing.

Comment

Looting is so destructive to the community that is vulnerable after a disaster.
                            https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/six-...1f90af412.html
                            Hard to comprehend.

Comment

Originally posted by wideopenspaces View Post
                              I am so sorry, you have so many personal connections to everything there, I suppose that's small town life though. Do you get the sense that the town will rebuild? Do you own that building that is standing and if so, I'm curious what you might do with it?

I will say that along with the loss I felt after our hurricane, also came pride after we rebuilt. The way the community and town came together, it still amazes me every year we go back to visit. I truly hope a year from now you will be able to say the same thing.
                              Yes, our town will rebuild. It will take several years, but people are already making plans. We are an unusually close community and this has drawn us closer. There are so many people from around the world who are helping and an untold number of acts of kindness. The fact that it’s so close to Christmas is heartbreaking but also impelling many to jump in and adopt children and families.

I drove over to my favorite BBQ restaurant a few days ago just to see if it was by the grace of God open. They had gotten a generator and were serving up their delicious meals. When I got out my credit card to pay, the girl at the counter said “Our credit card machine isn’t working and everything is free this week, it’s our way of helping.” They also had a bucket for donations to go to others in the community. That was the best $100 I ever spent on a plate of BBQ brisket!

Another couple drove all the way from Florida with a truck full of flowers to put in the wire fence around the courthouse “just to bring some beauty to downtown”.

Went to the grocery and there was a young lady with long flaming pink hair with the trunk of her car up and filled with food and water and a big sign “Free Food”. She was going into the store, buying groceries, bringing them to the parking lot, and giving them away.

Met a lady today giving away fresh-grilled sandwiches in the parking lot at Walmart from the little tent they had set up. I got some to take downtown to give away (then came back for more bags to give to workers - they were hungry😁!) Anyway, she said, “My grandmother was murdered in Chicago. I inherited a little money from her and came her to spend it on the town because I remembered this as the friendliest town I had ever visited.” That is the first time I broke down crying since this has happened.

As for the building of ours that is standing (with the green sign), the whole block has been condemned and will be razed.

Comment

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post

Yes, our town will rebuild. It will take several years, but people are already making plans. We are an unusually close community and this has drawn us closer. There are so many people from around the world who are helping and an untold number of acts of kindness. The fact that it’s so close to Christmas is heartbreaking but also impelling many to jump in and adopt children and families.

I drove over to my favorite BBQ restaurant a few days ago just to see if it was by the grace of God open. They had gotten a generator and were serving up their delicious meals. When I got out my credit card to pay, the girl at the counter said “Our credit card machine isn’t working and everything is free this week, it’s our way of helping.” They also had a bucket for donations to go to others in the community. That was the best $100 I ever spent on a plate of BBQ brisket!

Another couple drove all the way from Florida with a truck full of flowers to put in the wire fence around the courthouse “just to bring some beauty to downtown”.

Went to the grocery and there was a young lady with long flaming pink hair with the trunk of her car up and filled with food and water and a big sign “Free Food”. She was going into the store, buying groceries, bringing them to the parking lot, and giving them away.

Met a lady today giving away fresh-grilled sandwiches in the parking lot at Walmart from the little tent they had set up. I got some to take downtown to give away (then came back for more bags to give to workers - they were hungry😁!) Anyway, she said, “My grandmother was murdered in Chicago. I inherited a little money from her and came her to spend it on the town because I remembered this as the friendliest town I had ever visited.” That is the first time I broke down crying since this has happened.

As for the building of ours that is standing (with the green sign), the whole block has been condemned and will be razed.
                                These are the kind of things that give me hope for humanity. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                                X