No announcement yet.

Why do you save

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Mom. Parents raised 5 kids (with differing success) that way. Allowances started in 1st grade. A little bit of chores to earn it. Money to spend was not “free”.
    You could spend it on ANYTHING you wanted as long as it was legal. Earn more money, save it to spend. Deferred gratification was a learned behavior.
    I have never lived paycheck to paycheck. Nor allowance to allowance,I always had money in the bank (not a lot) and had to choose to keep it or spend it. Saying “no” to yourself is easier than being told “no” by someone else. People don’t just give you money, you need your own.

Investing and retirement planning is a different question. Adapting the fiscal personality.

Comment

Honestly, all of the above.
      $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

We're not high earners saving well enough in 30% and hit marks. Balance. Lived life enough during beginning, no beaters. bought home relatively early; traveled 1-2 year with good cruises/trips. Still able to pass FI marker downside of 40s and liberalizing spend now.

Not one to want 1st in line or top score of anything and good for them if that's what life fulfilled represents. To each their own on markers for success.

Comment

To pay for kids' weddings. Downpayment for their homes. Grandchildrens' education. Their weddings. This is presuming a lot.

Comment

2 chicks at the same time

Comment

1. Freedom
              2. waste is foolish and wrong

Comment

Even though I’ve always done well in school, and national entrance/board tests, I still have this feeling of “I don’t belong. These people are all smart and I am not”.

It’s Imposter Syndrome, I know, but it gives me a little bit of a thought that “this may all be taken away one day”. Sounds silly since I’ve been doing this for over 20 years.

Part of that may come from the fact that I grew up poor and was the first one in my family to start, and finish, college. Even today, I’ll still ask my wife “you think it’s ok for me to buy this?” for the most trivial items. So, I save a lot of the money I make, and keep several hundred thousand sitting in bank accounts.

Comment

F you money

So that if someone or something at my job ever makes me do something I really don't want to do I can say F you and walk away.

(if you don't like swear words "F you" = Freedom)

Comment

Early retirement
                    security
                    family

Comment

I save because this was the way I was brought up, we had enough but not a lot. I saved a lot early on because I thought I wanted more. Now that I have more, I really don't want or need any more. It just goes in the bank with out thinking about it, out of habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Otolith View Post
                        F you money

So that if someone or something at my job ever makes me do something I really don't want to do I can say F you and walk away.

oh i swear, a lot
                        would be a good subject for a poll

softer way to put this is that savings changes my relationship w/ work in a healthy way.
                        i know my job is providing me security and an exit plan eventually.
                        we don't have F-u money, but we have enough saved that the wife and i can make decisions that aren't only driven by need to make money. both of us have cut way back on voluntary work (call for her, shifts for me). for the most part we now do it when our partners need it, not so we can make extra money.
                        lurkers and younger folks (i'm 40): when you get out of residency and don't have kids work as much as you can w/o going crazy, and save a lot of that money.

Comment

Originally posted by Otolith View Post
                          F you money

FU = freedom unlimited

Work seems less annoying when you realize you are choosing to do it because it is a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
                            Not all chicks…

Comment

I know a place where you can get as many chicks as you like, even if you don’t have a ton of money! https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html

Comment

For free!
                                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qmRzbKNbTsY

Comment

Working...
                                X