X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • childay
    Physician
    • Jan 2016

Tell me about your RV

Wife wants a pull-behind RV. We are not camping people. Convince me this is a good idea..
  • Lordosis
    Family Physician
    • Feb 2019

Rent one a few times and she will see how much it sucks and how much work it is to have basically a crappy second home.

Comment

• GasFIRE
      Physician
      • Jan 2018

Watch Robin Williams movie RV on Netflix. That should cure the malady.
      My favorite scene:
      RV - The Poop Geyser: Bob (Robin Williams) empties his sewage.BUY THE MOVIE: https://www.fandangonow.com/details/movie/rv-2006/1MV0225fde6bc1ee9a59e07f7b1901...
      Last edited by GasFIRE; 12-08-2021, 06:16 PM. Reason: Added link

Comment

• 8arclay
        Physician
        • Jan 2019

Parents have owned a few over the years (class A and C's), with the nicer ones costing well into six figures. No matter how nice, new or expensive, they had issues with every single one. All of them.

Seeing the hassle they go through with them,I vowed to never own one. We camp a couple times a year, and when we do I rent one. The owner sets everything up and takes it all down when we're done, I don't even have to drive the thing. Unless you're living in the thing for a while, I'd strongly recommend renting one a time or two first, especially considering y'all aren't "campers"

Comment

• FIREshrink
          • Jan 2017

We own a 27' travel trailer. Full ton truck plus trailer = about $100k all in. You can go cheaper or more expensive for sure. Ours is big enough for 6 and we've taken kids and their friends many times.

We've been happy with it. It's more expensive than hoteling but cheaper than a second home. We usually do one long trip of 1-2 weeks and a few shorter ones. Kids sports schedule is the limiting factor.

Definitely make sure you like camping. We spent many years tent camping and backpacking and already knew we liked being in national parks and forests on vacation. What my wife didn't like was our last nine day tent camping trip when we only took two (or was it one...) showers. She made it clear she wasn't going to do that again. It was either give up extended camping or give up the wife so...

If there's just two of you I'd really suggest a truck camper or a smaller pull behind with a smaller truck. Ours is overkill once our kids grow up and fly the coop.

Comment

• jfoxcpacfp
            • Jan 2016

And what does she plan to do with it?

I love VRBO.
            My passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors 270-247-6087 to schedule CPA and Financial Planning initial introductions for Fox CPA and Wrenne Financial Planning, my affiliate firm. We charge Flat Fees for both CPA & Fee-Only Financial Planning.

Comment

• artemis
              Physician (Pathologist)
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by childay
              Wife wants a pull-behind RV. We are not camping people. Convince me this is a good idea..
              Sorry, we can't convince you that a bad idea is actually a good one. Rent a pull-behind RV a few times; that will convince your wife that a hotel room is a better option in the long run and save you the cost of ownership and the pain of having to sell the stupid thing after using it a few times.

Comment

• childay
                Physician
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by artemis

Sorry, we can't convince you that a bad idea is actually a good one. Rent a pull-behind RV a few times; that will convince your wife that a hotel room is a better option in the long run and save you the cost of ownership and the pain of having to sell the stupid thing after using it a few times.
                Thanks all. Yes in case not obvious I am not on board with the plan..
                I'll look into the rental idea. Just have to make sure it sucks..

Comment

• Sampter
                  • Mar 2021

I don't see the appeal of sleeping, cooking, and eating literally feet away from people going #2.

Comment

• Kamban
                    • Aug 2016

Even the thought of pulling those monsters up a mountain gives me the jitters. No way would I want to drive one, let alone owning one.

The neighbor across me ( a physician) owns a huge pull RV. He only takes it out once a year in summer, for a week. The rest of the time it is a bit of an eyesore, sitting in front of their house, covered in tarpaulin. There is no way he is breaking even on it. No HOA.

Comment

• Marko-ER
                      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Lordosis
                      Rent one a few times and she will see how much it sucks and how much work it is to have basically a crappy second home.
                      Second this option. Try before you buy.

Comment

• Tim
                        • Sep 2018

My spouse will tolerate many rough situations. Holiday Inn is about the bottom definition of "roughing it" and "off the grid".
                        The best part of a luxury RV is the bathroom and shower. The worst part is hooking up the dang tube to drain it. I prefer flushing and checking out.
                        Good times.
                        We demonstrate how to dump RV waste water holding tanks and thoroughly clean the black tank. Keeping your sewage tank super clean requires following a few si...

Comment

• Kamban
                          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Lordosis
                          Does the RV owning also jive with the 2 best days of a RV owner's life are.......

Comment

• artemis
                            Physician (Pathologist)
                            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Tim
                            The best part of a luxury RV is the bathroom and shower. The worst part is hooking up the dang tube to drain it.
                            I dunno - discovering that over the winter months mice have invaded the vehicle and turned it into their nest (chewing up wiring and dropping mousie poop and pee everywhere in the process) has to rank right up there with using the dump station.

After seeing what my friends who owned a fifth wheel RV went through with theirs, I'd never own one. If I want to rough it a tent is cheaper, and if I want to be comfortable a hotel or motel is nicer. The RV seems the worst of both worlds.

Comment

• Tim
                              • Sep 2018

Originally posted by artemis

I dunno - discovering that over the winter months mice have invaded the vehicle and turned it into their nest (chewing up wiring and dropping mousie poop and pee everywhere in the process) has to rank right up there with using the dump station.

After seeing what my friends who owned a fifth wheel RV went through with theirs, I'd never own one. If I want to rough it a tent is cheaper, and if I want to be comfortable a hotel or motel is nicer. The RV seems the worst of both worlds.
                              Two family members had RV's. There was always a one or two month lead time needed. Things need fixing and it is not cheap and takes time. Most RV's are not travel ready.

Comment

Working...