Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metformin inhibits mitochondrial complex 1. Cyanide blocks mitochondrial complex 4.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metformin inhibits mitochondrial complex 1. Cyanide blocks mitochondrial complex 4.

If you didn't already know it, you now know something that doctors could appreciate since they speak the language.

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

Comment

Made me look.

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity....ide-fact-sheet

Says one antidote to cyanide poisoning is hydroxycobalamin, which bonds to cyanide and becomes... cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12). Cool.

Comment

Is this gonna be on a pop quiz later?

Comment

What’s a mitochondria?

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post
            Made me look.

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity....ide-fact-sheet

Says one antidote to cyanide poisoning is hydroxycobalamin, which bonds to cyanide and becomes... cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12). Cool.
            Body also makes rhodanese:
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodanese

So accidentally nibbling on the occasional apple seed is fine. Was wondering where the name comes from. rhodanide is -SCN(Thiocyanate). rho is greek base for rose. Iron plus cyanide gives you that red rose color.

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post
              Is this gonna be on a pop quiz later?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	pop-quiz-hot-shot.gif
Views:	332
Size:	970.6 KB
ID:	306900
              What I find cool is that kids are being educated early about the mitochondria. In junior high, then in high school. The content seems advanced even dabbling into ochem. Old people like me boomers and genx are clueless.

Comment

Do they still call it the powerhouse of the cell?

Comment

Oooh thanks for the tips, I am low in B12 anyone got some spare apricot kernels for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                    Do they still call it the powerhouse of the cell?
                    They do.

"Hey Dad or Mom, how does cyanide kill you?"

1. I don't know. Google it.
                    2. Some ahole on WCI won't shut up about it. Something to do with something or other. Why are you pimping me, I'm only a doctor.
                    3. It blocks Complex 4 on the mitochondria and you run out of energy. Mic drop.

Comment

1: So cyanide replaces metformin for diabetes treatment?

2: My organic chemistry teacher said he always kept chocolate with him to reverse cyanide poisoning. He complained to the Dean because the football coach got new equipment but he didn't get a new mass spectrometer. He said the coach was going to poison him now.

That's all I got.
                      $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

Reminds me of how much I don’t miss med school.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubicle View Post
                          No. I just though it an interesting take. Always wondered why pharma didn't produce some metfomin equivalent medication.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubicle View Post
                            Well, it certainly works as a cure (of diabetes, and any other metabolic dysfunction). The side effects of the cure are a bit rough, though...

************************ this board! Now I need to go look up the differences between mitochondrial complex 1 and mitochondrial complex 4, and I am already busy!

Comment

Chlorophyll, more like Borophyll

Comment

Working...
                              X