No announcement yet.

What car to get for high mileage commute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a Tesla or any other purely electric vehicle would be a mistake with a commute this long and given the tough winters. As has been mentioned, the range will be severely reduced in cold weather and you are assuming 200k+ miles, but with battery degradation and cold, you may not even have the range to reach your destination at that point. In subfreezing temperatures, what happens when you hit standstill traffic on the interstate with the heat blasting? What if the power goes out at home and you don't have a full charge? There are no doubt many great options though my suggestion would be a diesel BMW X5. These are excellent commuters and the engines on these excel at interstate driving. You can expect them to outlast most gas engines and can last over 300k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ekanive23 View Post

my base and guaranteed pay is 100 k higher than Chicago places. But I still have a part time nocturnist gig at the VA where I sleep and get 2500 a shift. So I am able to be present for my kids the day of and after that shift. I didn’t want to move far from that yet either.

the way the pay structure is set up , any extra shift I do at main job is 2500-3500 depending on admission shift or census. 10 hours or so… as a Hospitalist… digest that. Put things into perspective , Pulm GI cards are all 600-800, urology 900, general surgery 700 where I am at. Pay doesn’t show up like this everywhere and this is a big ten college town.

so please tell me a better alternative where I can make the money I do, have sound… polish child care, be close enough to both jobs, etc.

my kids are 1/2 polish and they are fluent in two languages already (2/3 year old).

when I say child care, it’s polish college educated Nannys that we are using. Those aren’t in central Indiana. Neither is family.

once student loans forgiven, I might consider a change but I need PSLF until then and the pay is hard to best.

im Grinding now…. 3 mortgages (2 rental), 4 kids, 2 sets of student loans (one PSLF), and maxing out 457, 401k , back doors, and 5 k minimum to college as a Hospitalist.

I work hard but have found something that works for me currently. Didn’t ask for much of an opinion on the drive itself or other facets of my life.

I love what I do, doubt I’ll ever be burnt out. It’s just never been a thing. I’ve been a work fiend my whole life.

finance is a passion of mine, as is medicine. Medicine allows me to buy rentals and stocks etc. I think this is another layer to why I shouldn’t burn out
      You're more likely to burn out running like crazy as you are, but up to you in the end of course.

You should apply some of that value and extra pay to the time spent driving. I get trying to live in a much cooler place.

I personally wouldnt drive for 100k, I'd pick up a shift or something but if you found an amazing gig thats different.

Comment

I would absolutely pay 100K not to drive 170mi in a day 200 days a year. To each his own, I suppose.

Comment

“im Grinding now…. 3 mortgages (2 rental), 4 kids, 2 sets of student loans (one PSLF), and maxing out 457, 401k , back doors, and 5 k minimum to college as a Hospitalist.”

In other words, you are doing it for the money? I thought you were doing this for the wife’s career training being delayed having kids. You be you. I definitely wouldn’t carry the commute for a bilingual nanny. No offense intended. Big Ten College town isn’t worth the commute either. I think these are side rationalizations. You have a path, good for you. Hope the wife’s residency works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ekanive23 View Post

my base and guaranteed pay is 100 k higher than Chicago places. But I still have a part time nocturnist gig at the VA where I sleep and get 2500 a shift. So I am able to be present for my kids the day of and after that shift. I didn’t want to move far from that yet either.

the way the pay structure is set up , any extra shift I do at main job is 2500-3500 depending on admission shift or census. 10 hours or so… as a Hospitalist… digest that. Put things into perspective , Pulm GI cards are all 600-800, urology 900, general surgery 700 where I am at. Pay doesn’t show up like this everywhere and this is a big ten college town.

so please tell me a better alternative where I can make the money I do, have sound… polish child care, be close enough to both jobs, etc.

my kids are 1/2 polish and they are fluent in two languages already (2/3 year old).

when I say child care, it’s polish college educated Nannys that we are using. Those aren’t in central Indiana. Neither is family.

once student loans forgiven, I might consider a change but I need PSLF until then and the pay is hard to best.

im Grinding now…. 3 mortgages (2 rental), 4 kids, 2 sets of student loans (one PSLF), and maxing out 457, 401k , back doors, and 5 k minimum to college as a Hospitalist.

I work hard but have found something that works for me currently. Didn’t ask for much of an opinion on the drive itself or other facets of my life.

I love what I do, doubt I’ll ever be burnt out. It’s just never been a thing. I’ve been a work fiend my whole life.

finance is a passion of mine, as is medicine. Medicine allows me to buy rentals and stocks etc. I think this is another layer to why I shouldn’t burn out
            OK, this seems like a specific, fairly well thought out reason to work this job away from where the kids are for a limited duration of time. I still might want a driver or a crash pad, but this isn’t a random situation of getting an extra $50-100K and being unwilling to buy a new house closer to work for no defined reason.
            Last edited by Hank; 11-20-2021, 09:32 PM.

Comment

In OP's position, I'd just move to Indiana and pay an extra $100K/yr for a bilingual nanny to move down there. You could probably pull it off for less than that.

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post
                In OP's position, I'd just move to Indiana and pay an extra $100K/yr for a bilingual nanny to move down there. You could probably pull it off for less than that.
                I like that idea, unless wife’s residency is where the OP currently lives.
                Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                  Do the hybrids help with all highway driving? Seems like the ice engine is going to be doing 90% of the work and has to drag heavy batteries with it.
                  YMMV, some hybrids do tend to get better mileage with city driving than highway, but the majority don't. The 2021 Toyota Prius is 58 city/53 highway, but the 2021 Toyota Camry is 51 city/53 highway. In any case >= 50mpg anywhere would be a good thing for the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by spiritrider View Post
                    YMMV, some hybrids do tend to get better mileage with city driving than highway, but the majority don't. The 2021 Toyota Prius is 58 city/53 highway, but the 2021 Toyota Camry is 51 city/53 highway. In any case >= 50mpg anywhere would be a good thing for the OP.
                    Good to know. I never owned an electric vehicle or hybrid. My comments just seemed intuitive to me.

Comment

Good to know. I never owned an electric vehicle or hybrid. My comments just seemed intuitive to me.
                      What surprised me was that EV's get better range in the city than on the highway. Highway being a constant drain. Makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

What surprised me was that EV's get better range in the city than on the highway. Highway being a constant drain. Makes sense.
                        See that makes sense to me. In the city is where an electric or hybrid would really shine because every stop and wait is not costing you fuel just sitting there. But highway going 70 miles an hour once the battery runs dry you're just using gas. However I am a physician and have no expertise in this and there's probably something I do not understand.

Comment

See that makes sense to me. In the city is where an electric or hybrid would really shine because every stop and wait is not costing you fuel just sitting there. But highway going 70 miles an hour once the battery runs dry you're just using gas. However I am a physician and have no expertise in this and there's probably something I do not understand.
                          The recharging on braking comes into play from my understanding. I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

The recharging on braking comes into play from my understanding. I could be wrong.
                            Ideally a highway commute has little braking.

Comment

Yeah. Regenerative braking and essentially no energy use while stopped makes evs shine in stop and go traffic.

At high speeds ice wins because of transmission gearing. Most evs have 1 or 2 gears. To go faster you just spin the motor faster. Ice transmissions have like 5-8 gears?

Comment

Not sure why so many are saying electric. Tons of EVs would struggle to make that 170 mile commute in the winter with enough range to not make most people concerned. Would want 300 mile range at absolute minimum and even in some situations that would get whittled down very very fast in the winter and if traffic, very cold, etc.

Who knows if they have consistent charging capabilities at work? Probably would not rely on that unless there were like 10 spots open every single day.

I think OP is one of absolute worst candidates for an electric car. But I also think your current work/life stuff is pretty terrible and you'd be better served by moving closer to work. Childcare exists in a variety of settings, that likely don't involve you driving 3 hours every day. Not sure how that exactly works out.

Comment

Working...
                                X