Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What car to get for high mileage commute

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What car to get for high mileage commute

    Hello,
    any suggestions on a reliable, cost effective vehicle to commute 170 miles round trip 200 x a year on mostly all highway.

    I don’t like to spend big money on vehicles but would this be a case where Tesla is reasonable? I think they last 300-500,000 miles and no gas/oil to pay for?

    it’s up and down I65 in Indiana in winter as well. Need good snow car.

    if a Tesla costs 70 k? But 3 used cars cost me 90? The single Tesla might be better? Any other comparisons? I’m not married to the Tesla idea.
    Last edited by Ekanive23; 11-19-2021, 06:48 PM.

  • #2
    i'd be highly tempted to by a 3 year old prius w/ 45k miles on it.

    interesting question though about if teslas make more sense for really high mileage drivers. they sure might.

    Comment


    • #3
      Trick question. Get a motorcycle

      Comment


      • #4
        Weather concerns? I love a basic Subaru Forester. Decent gas mileage, ok ride, reported to be safe in accident, <$30,000 and great in snow.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MPMD View Post
          i'd be highly tempted to by a 3 year old prius w/ 45k miles on it.


          interesting question though about if teslas make more sense for really high mileage drivers. they sure might.

          Maybe I just ride my cars hard, but I’ve never had one last me over 150k. I’m just wondering if the higher upfront cost will allow me to have 1 Tesla to every 2.5 to 3.5 used cars? Plus oil and gas costs are large too.

          the auto drive and crash protection features are nice too on a Tesla.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post
            Weather concerns? I love a basic Subaru Forester. Decent gas mileage, ok ride, reported to be safe in accident, <$30,000 and great in snow.
            How many miles are they good for? Snow is an issue for sure. I’m in rural Indiana.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ekanive23 View Post

              How many miles are they good for? Snow is an issue for sure. I’m in rural Indiana.
              I put on 20,000+ miles per year and have driven 3 for 180,000-200,000 without any break downs or major repairs and have made it to work during several blizzards. A quick google search seems to support 200,000-250,000 miles but I'm not sure about the reliability of those car sites. Personally I get a little squirrely after 150,000 miles just because I don't want to be stranded. I'm probably showing my age because does anyone actually even get stranded any more?

              Comment


              • #8
                That’s a killer commute. I don’t think any car is going to help. I recommend a moving truck.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Hober Mallow View Post
                  That’s a killer commute. I don’t think any car is going to help. I recommend a moving truck.
                  I have my child care where I currently live and a job as a hospitalist that allows me to make 400-500 k a year depending on how much extra I work. I will definitely move, but while I have kids that are born 09/2018, 09/2019, 07/2020, 06/2021, stable child care is as important as housing. Wife needs to finish boards and then residency, so it’s all an investment toward that goal.

                  family is near us too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ekanive23 View Post

                    I have my child care where I currently live and a job as a hospitalist that allows me to make 400-500 k a year depending on how much extra I work. I will definitely move, but while I have kids that are born 09/2018, 09/2019, 07/2020, 06/2021, stable child care is as important as housing. Wife needs to finish boards and then residency, so it’s all an investment toward that goal.

                    family is near us too.
                    Your wife had 4 kids as a medical student?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by AR View Post

                      Your wife had 4 kids as a medical student?
                      Two during medical school and now time away to be a mom and she just started to study for boards. Had two more during that time. We wanted a big family and wanted to still be early 50s when their grown.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Wife likes her Prius but wouldn't recommend myself, it is pretty noisy on the highway. Also very low clearance, even with snow tires I'd worry about getting stuck.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          4 under 4. I am impressed! No wonder you want to work so far away

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                            4 under 4. I am impressed! No wonder you want to work so far away
                            For a couple of months it was four under three. The drive is my me time which I do not get at home. I have WCI podcast, animal spirits is really good too. More entertaining than informative.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ekanive23 View Post

                              Two during medical school and now time away to be a mom and she just started to study for boards. Had two more during that time. We wanted a big family and wanted to still be early 50s when their grown.
                              Wow! Even two during medical school is bananas. I can't imagine juggling all of that.

                              How much of a gap is she going to have between med school graduation and starting residency? My understanding is that the longer the gap, the harder it will be to match.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X