What Electric Vehicle should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Electric Vehicle should I get?

I was having this discussion in the Porsche Cayenne thread, but I think we have digressed enough that I should start a new thread. Here's where we left off:

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

What really are your top three things you would want to see in an EV that you like to own? acceleration? Torque? top speed? luxurious leather and real wood?. Gauges and knobs versus minimalist touch screen? Cost or more likely, value for money? Looking for current and possible future EV tax credits?

That will define which EV might be most suitable for you.
    Originally posted by AR View Post

I honestly don't care that much about acceleration. I'm never going to need to go 0-60 in 3 seconds. I have a very old 5 series right now and that accelerates well enough for me (i.e., way better than a minivan).

Same with Torque or top speed (I'm never going over 100 mph).

So top things for me in order of preference would be

1. Reliability (I don't want to be going to the shop and taking it in for repairs, especially expensive ones).
    2. Handles well when driving (not really a speed thing).
    3. Good user interface for entertainment/navigation/other controls (I really like a projected head up display for navigation. It one my favorite things about my current vehicle).
    4. Luxurious interior
    5. Cost -- I'm absolutely not spending over $100K. Preferably not over $80K. So tax credit is an issue, but a lesser one.

So I just got back from test driving a Tesla Model 3. It's the first EV I have ever driven. With all the hype, I was expecting to be blown away, but it was just fine. The braking was weird, of course, but I'm sure I'll get used to that. The ride didn't feel that much better than my very old 5 series. It does accelerate faster. I did like the little virtual reality display that showed the cars around you so that you could easily see if someone was in your blind spot.

While I wasn't blown away by it, there was nothing wrong with it. It was perfectly fine and good value for that price point. The interior was a bit minimalist for my taste. The Porsche Taycan definitely feels cooler. But that is lower on the list of priorities.

The other EVs I'm considering are the Lucid, BMW, and Audi. Not sure how I can test drive the first two.

So there is still a lot for me to mull over. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
    Last edited by AR; 11-19-2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

I hear great things about these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	power wheels.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	303502

Comment

I'm really liking the Lucid Air on paper. I went ahead and reserved one. $300 refundable deposit. Can't go wrong with that. Hopefully by the time my turn comes up, test drives will be easily available.
        Last edited by AR; 11-19-2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

The Model 3 is just fine like you said. For the price point one of the better ones out there (no EV credit assumed).

Unless you're willing to wait for the Lucid, I wouldn't count on that one. They're delivering their expensive $170k+ cars first and won't likely get to their entry level ones until late 2022.

I haven't seen much info about the BMW i4 except for pictures and stats. Haven't seen any influencer reviews or anything yet. Google says first deliveries summer 2022.

1. All EVs are pretty reliable. Battery and motor and that's it. The difference is the software. I've had my Model 3 for 2 years and 50k miles no issues including lots of road trips. Just rotate tires and refilled windshield wiper fluid. You didn't list the Ford Mach E but I'd avoid it due to software problems for now. Otherwise that's also a decent EV.

2. Handling the Taycan would be your best bet. Other than that the model 3. Most of the other current options are closer to CUV size.

3. The Model 3 is very minimalistic. You do get used to no buttons or knobs after a bit. You can also use the voice commands to do most things. To get a HUD or buttons you'll have to go with the Taycan or Etron.

4. For luxurious interior Porsche and Audi would win. Tesla is very minimalistic in the model 3, more comfortable than luxurious.

5. Best bang for your buck would be the Model 3. Best fit for you would likely be the Taycan but would cost more. You also can't go by base price because there's options out the wazoo (in Porsche fashion) to get close to the functionality of a Tesla. If you can wait for a long time, you can try to wait and see what Lucid and the BMW would be like. I know Lucid does have stores in random big cities. I think I saw one in Miami to get information but no test drives I'm sure for quite some time.

Edit: I wouldn't count on the EV tax credit for now. It may come with a income cap or price of vehicle cap. Even then, the tax credit may come back for Tesla making the Model 3 even better bang for your buck if qualifies.

Comment

Originally posted by Nysoz View Post
            The Model 3 is just fine like you said. For the price point one of the better ones out there (no EV credit assumed).

Unless you're willing to wait for the Lucid, I wouldn't count on that one. They're delivering their expensive $170k+ cars first and won't likely get to their entry level ones until late 2022.

I haven't seen much info about the BMW i4 except for pictures and stats. Haven't seen any influencer reviews or anything yet. Google says first deliveries summer 2022.

1. All EVs are pretty reliable. Battery and motor and that's it. The difference is the software. I've had my Model 3 for 2 years and 50k miles no issues including lots of road trips. Just rotate tires and refilled windshield wiper fluid. You didn't list the Ford Mach E but I'd avoid it due to software problems for now. Otherwise that's also a decent EV.

2. Handling the Taycan would be your best bet. Other than that the model 3. Most of the other current options are closer to CUV size.

3. The Model 3 is very minimalistic. You do get used to no buttons or knobs after a bit. You can also use the voice commands to do most things. To get a HUD or buttons you'll have to go with the Taycan or Etron.

4. For luxurious interior Porsche and Audi would win. Tesla is very minimalistic in the model 3, more comfortable than luxurious.

5. Best bang for your buck would be the Model 3. Best fit for you would likely be the Taycan but would cost more. You also can't go by base price because there's options out the wazoo (in Porsche fashion) to get close to the functionality of a Tesla. If you can wait for a long time, you can try to wait and see what Lucid and the BMW would be like. I know Lucid does have stores in random big cities. I think I saw one in Miami to get information but no test drives I'm sure for quite some time.
            Thanks, that's all really useful.

Mach E was on my radar, but I'm really looking for a sedan.

Taycan is too expensive and too small. Cross Turismo looks kind of like a station wagon.

I need to check out the Audi. BMW will probably be available in the summer from what I hear. Lucid probably after that. I can wait about a year, so BMW or Lucid would be fine too.

Comment

Lucid did get MotorTrend’s Car of the Year for 2022. Now the why is a completely different question….

Comment

From the peanut gallery - This is all very helpful as I’ve been eyeing the model 3 as a downsized, city banger.

Comment

Tesla 3 is present day camry. Nothing sexy. It performs quite well and satisfy most driver enthusiasts. I don't miss.my G37 much.

Until another mass produced ev sedan is made, model 3 has the market. Crossovers have a much more interesting conversation with id4 and Volvo entered the market with mach.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                    I hear great things about these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	power wheels.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	303502
                    My 5 yo absolutely raves about his ;-)

We looked at the audi etron last month. Really loved the interior. I believe it has that heads-up display thing.. We didn't test drive it as someone else was doing an extended one and we aren't planning to buy for another 6-12 months. But we wanted to get a feel for it. It's range is only 220 miles which is a little low for the price. Rumor has it that the range will bump to closer to 300 with the model coming out late next year. We're really hoping to like the A4 etron as it's a bit smaller, range is around 240 and price point around 40k. We'll go test drive both in Dec or Jan. I'm not a big Elon musk fan and the idea of having a computer as my dashboard is like my worst nightmare. I can barely work my smartphone 😆 So I know we want an electric car that feels like a normal car, which is why we're leaning towards the audi.

Comment

Originally posted by wideopenspaces View Post
                      We're really hoping to like the A4 etron as it's a bit smaller, range is around 240 and price point around 40k.
                      Is there really an A4 e-tron or are you talking about the Q4 etron?

Right now my top two are the top trim level e-tron sportback and the lucid air.

It's a close call. The lucid is going to be about $20K more. But I like it more. I just don't know if I like it $20K more.

Comment

Can someone explain to me why Teslas have so much better acceleration than other EVs at simlar price points.

For example the model 3 long range is 0-60 at 3.1s. That's about $50K. The Audi e-tron sportback is about $50K as well, depending on trim level and it has a 0-60 of 5.5s.

To get around 3s on a non-Tesla you have to pay a whole lot more.

I'm not sure I even care about the acceleration, but I am just curious.

Comment

If you do any sort of distance driving, you'll want 300mi car stated and efficiency or available fast charging network along your routes.

Otherwise you'll suffer from range anxiety and for a 40k+ car...that really sucks. Our prior 500e and spark ev we're strictly commuter cars and fine.

Just watch this and realistic usages and range on these new models. The etron has dismal efficiency ratings and wonder how that'll hold over the years and be like the nissan leaf or issues like bolt ev.

That's something to watch

Comment

Is there really an A4 e-tron or are you talking about the Q4 etron?

Right now my top two are the top trim level e-tron sportback and the lucid air.

It's a close call. The lucid is going to be about $20K more. But I like it more. I just don't know if I like it $20K more.
                            Sorry I think q4 is right. I'm not a car person! So I'm doing the best I can 😆 I'm kind of in the same boat of trying to decide how much more I might like the etron vs q4 etron. If they don't increase the range on the etron it's definitely not worth the higher price to me. We don't drive much in town, we get most our miles driving 150 miles to our cabin and need enough range to do that up the mountains in the winter.

Comment

Can someone explain to me why Teslas have so much better acceleration than other EVs at simlar price points.

For example the model 3 long range is 0-60 at 3.1s. That's about $50K. The Audi e-tron sportback is about $50K as well, depending on trim level and it has a 0-60 of 5.5s.

To get around 3s on a non-Tesla you have to pay a whole lot more.

I'm not sure I even care about the acceleration, but I am just curious.
                              It’s because Tesla is more efficient at using batteries, their motors, and making lighter cars. If you’re really curious watch the sandy munro teardowns of the model 3/y compared to the Mach e. Tesla’s are heavy but lighter when compared to competitors.

Ill be super interested if/when they get a lucid to tear down since they’re on par if not slightly more efficient than Tesla.

Comment

Working...
                              X