Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do you spend a year on wardrobe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do you spend a year on wardrobe?

Thinking about dropping $1,000+ at Aviator Nation.

Post-COVID? I think I bought some underwear.

Are you meeting your savings goals? Then spend the rest on whatever you want.

Comment

tough question
      it's punctuated equilibrium for me, i tend to buy nothing for long stretches of time and then update/replace in large bursts

Comment

Honestly, maybe a few hundred bucks a year. My wife will buy me nicer clothes when she feels like I need them so maybe $500/year total. I also don't value clothes so those numbers would be different if I were into fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
          Based on a quick search of their site, it doesn't look like $1000 spent at Aviator Nation will beef up your wardrobe by very much...at least in terms of volume.

Comment

Me $0/yr. Wife spend $200-300/yr for me.

Comment

I get any new clothes at Christmas now.
              Technically I don’t spend anymore. With one exception, Sales Tax Holiday! Wife likes to drag me along. Some of those bargains still have tags on.

Comment

Went on their website. The question should be posed as how not to let a company with a very smart marketing extract money form you for their junk. Good pictures selling warm and healthy appearance.

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post

Comment

Originally posted by resident_1 View Post
                  Went on their website. The question should be posed as how not to let a company with a very smart marketing extract money form you for their junk. Good pictures selling warm and healthy appearance.

Eh, you have to spend money on something at some point and if somebody enjoys fashion and clothes then so be it. $1k is nothing to spend on something you enjoy every now and then.

Comment

Ooh, they have cute stuff! I did a no buy year for myself so I've spent very little on clothing this year. But when I do shop again, looking to buy things made in America or sustainable or ideally both. So I don't think these prices are crazy. You might also check out American Giant, really nice quality, long lasting casual wear. I buy my husband something from there for Christmas every year.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Eh, you have to spend money on something at some point and if somebody enjoys fashion and clothes then so be it. $1k is nothing to spend on something you enjoy every now and then.
                      I agree. My 22 y/o MA just spent 3k on a Van Cleef pendant from Rodeo Drive. She is over the moon about it. She's a strict Muslim who wears a hijab, so there's that. She showed me the pendant. I praised it heavily and that made her real happy. Her next mission, a tennis bracelet.

But for me $1k is psychologically too expensive for buying on a whim. I've have to think long and hard before pulling the trigger. I find when doing "it now and then", the interval becomes shorter and shorter.

Comment

If hiking boots count, then $4-500/ year. New high or low I hikers every 6 months, 1-2 t-shirts and maybe 1 pants. All REI

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post

I agree. My 22 y/o MA just spent 3k on a Van Cleef pendant from Rodeo Drive. She is over the moon about it. She's a strict Muslim who wears a hijab, so there's that. She showed me the pendant. I praised it heavily and that made her real happy. Her next mission, a tennis bracelet.
                          Such a mystery why some people live paycheck to paycheck with no retirement savings. Maybe we’ll figure it out eventually…

Comment

I really only replace things as they wear out. I tend to use things until they are really unusable anymore. Not only is this save me money but I really do hate shopping. Shirts I've had for quite some time and I cannot even remember the last time I bought a shirt. Honestly I think my wardrobe gets updated from gifts more than anything else. Pants I have to buy two to three pairs a year. Not quite sure why I burned through pants so fast. But they're generally only 25 to $30 a pair. This past year I had a major sock and boxer overhaul. That cost about $100. But that should keep me good for quite some time.
                            Generally have to replace some kind of shoes each year. Either the sneakers of the work shoes or something gets old and needs replacing. But that's probably less than $100 depending on which one it is.

Coats and sweatshirts and other season items I have had for many years and replace very infrequently.

I do not wear very many accessories but I do wear a watch which I've had for many years. My belts are really old and do need replacing but I am lazy and do not like shopping and have been putting it off for the past year.

Can't really think of any other category of clothing that I spend a significant amount of money on. So this probably all adds up to a few hundred dollars a year.

Kids on the other hand probably encompass 75% of our clothing budget. We are very good about buying from thrift stores and trying to get good quality yet cheaper items. My wife focuses quite a bit on this. And we also hand down everything that is possible. But even still it seems to add up. Not only do they grow out of everything very fast but they chew through clothes like you would not believe. And I really mean that in two ways. Not only do they tend to destroy things that you would not expect to be destroyed but sometimes they have to wear two to three garments a day because they get messy or wet or ripped. The laundry in my house is ungodly.

My wife spends a fair bit more than I do but it is not really crazy. She's rather frugal and will contemplate something for quite some time before purchasing it.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Such a mystery why some people live paycheck to paycheck with no retirement savings. Maybe we’ll figure it out eventually…
                              To be fair to Burritos MA, you are making quite a few assumptions regarding her spending habits. She could be from a very wealthy family, have a very high earning spouse, or be extremely frugal (diligently saving 20% of take home above her extravagant purchase). Etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X