No announcement yet.

8/21 Total Solar Eclipse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone planning on watching the eclipse on 8/21?

WashPo has a nice write up with some cool graphics and information about this, and previous eclipses. Nasa’s main site here, some high res state maps here, with a great Google map overlay here so you can see where you’ll be:

Enjoy the show!

I thought this was going to be a post about whether we should sell stocks leading up to the solar eclipse.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm looking forward to it.

-WSP

Comment

We are driving down to Grand Island, NE for the day to watch it. And I thought I was the only nerd…….

Head over the the Crane Trust.  I'm the guest speaker there!

I can hardly wait for this.  I just hope the weather decides to be cooperative.

Comment

That place is beautiful!  I'll try to make it.  What time?  The eclipse is at 14:00 I believe

Comment

Taking the whole family (6, 4, and 1 year old) from NY to Nashville for this. Have been waiting 2 years. I hope there are clear skies!

Comment

That place is beautiful!  I’ll try to make it.  What time?  The eclipse is at 14:00 I believe

I'm currently scheduled to give my short presentation at 10:00.  The eclipse starts at approximately 11:30, with totality close to 13:00.  Google "Crane Trust Solar Eclipse" and you'll find their eclipse webpage with all the details posted.

Comment

Took the day off and plan on catching it in the boat on a lake directly in line.

Comment

I plan to play hooky and watch it. We'll be in the direct path of the total eclipse. It'll be darker here than the administrator's wing on Friday afternoon.

Comment

98% here but was hoping for the full monty. But Oregon is expecting a million visitors that weekend and driving through PDX that morning with tens of thousands of extra folks, beyond the regular morning commute, has me persuaded to stay home and live with the 98%. Without traffic it's only 60 minutes to 100%, but I suspect it will be true gridlock that morning and I could leave at midnight and never get there.

Comment

98% here but was hoping for the full monty. But Oregon is expecting a million visitors that weekend and driving through PDX that morning with tens of thousands of extra folks, beyond the regular morning commute, has me persuaded to stay home and live with the 98%. Without traffic it’s only 60 minutes to 100%, but I suspect it will be true gridlock that morning and I could leave at midnight and never get there.

FIREshrink, check the weather forecast on Sunday evening before you make your final decision to miss the big show.  Having already seen a total solar eclipse I can say with confidence that there's simply no comparison between a 100% eclipsed sun and a 98% eclipsed sun, and you'll almost certainly never have another one so close to where you live during your lifetime (certainly not if you stay in Oregon).  I wouldn't let traffic concerns put you off from trying to get into the path of totality.

Comment

Thanks for the link.  Very cool.

Comment

98% here but was hoping for the full monty. But Oregon is expecting a million visitors that weekend and driving through PDX that morning with tens of thousands of extra folks, beyond the regular morning commute, has me persuaded to stay home and live with the 98%. Without traffic it’s only 60 minutes to 100%, but I suspect it will be true gridlock that morning and I could leave at midnight and never get there.
                        Click to expand…

FIREshrink, check the weather forecast on Sunday evening before you make your final decision to miss the big show.  Having already seen a total solar eclipse I can say with confidence that there’s simply no comparison between a 100% eclipsed sun and a 98% eclipsed sun, and you’ll almost certainly never have another one so close to where you live during your lifetime (certainly not if you stay in Oregon).  I wouldn’t let traffic concerns put you off from trying to get into the path of totality.

Yes, I've read 100% is the only way to go if possible. I will check weather and traffic on Sunday night and take a look. At the same time, sitting for 6 hours on I5 only to miss 100% and then turn around and sit for 6 hours coming home is not my idea of fun. I'm also exploring flying from SEA to EUG and just catching the show from the airport.

Comment

Working...
                        X