Travel in retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel in retirement

Is there anyone out there who does not plan to do a lot of traveling in retirement?
    ive done a little in my life and have 2 other countries I really want to see then I’m good
    I’m 41 so I’m hoping by the time I retire by 65 or 67 I won’t travel anywhere other than locally ( travel by car )
    but literally everyone at work family etc I talk with has plans to travel extensively when they retire and keep telling me I’ll regret not doing that when I retire

Am I just weird or am I missing something? Is retirement unfulfilled without traveling ?

I don't plan to travel much either. I took a year off at 34 and visited most of the remaining places I wanted to see. Most people seem to love travel, but it's very low on my list of things to do in retirement. Different strokes.
    Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

I think you're totally normal:-) Lots of people don't do much traveling. I don't like to fly, I get easily lost, I don't like being places where I can't speak the language. So while I hope to slow travel to certain locations, I have no plans to visit everywhere in the world or anything like that. I'm a lot more comfortable exploring the US.

Comment

I would like to see Europe( have only seen one Country so far) and New Zealand . When I have time after retirement , I would like to just drive in US for long time without any booking/reservations from coast to coast . That’s it.

Comment

Some people are travellers, some people are homebodies. My sibling preferred to hold down the fort while the rest of us went off travelling. Maybe 20% of people so you have a lot of company.

Comment

I'm not much of a traveler. I had a small bucket list of places that I knocked most out before kids. Maybe a few more int'l places I'm interested in and I certainly can see traveling domestically to visit family, hangout someplace nice for a little bit, etc. I really don't care for flying, crowds, etc. Roadtrips would are more my thing.

Comment

we are trying to do our bucket list travel now before retirement which is somewhat adventurous because it's pretty hard to do some trips with mobility issues (bike through vietnam, more safaris, Antarctica, nordic sledding, etc) . these trips are also very expensive (at least what I like to book) and financially "better" with excess cash flow while we are working. Once we are retired we can sit on a beach. I have zero idea why those trips are appealing to anyone personally (like I would never book a vacation to hawaii anymore. i really think its boring). So likely our retirement travel will be low key, probably mostly to visit friends around the country. Unfortunately I think many people won't get to do the travel they want to because of health issues which arise but because they didn't plan well they can't do it now either.

Comment

We probably won’t travel anymore than we do now but it would be easier to take longer international trips although we start getting antsy to get back home once we’re bumping up against the 7 day mark.

Comment

Originally posted by bean1970 View Post
                  I have zero idea why those trips are appealing to anyone personally (like I would never book a vacation to hawaii anymore. i really think its boring).
                  Hawaii is great for surfing.
                  Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

I am retired now. I am not traveling much at all. I have done a good bit of international traveling when younger. I love being home with my dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by CM View Post

Hawaii is great for surfing.
                      My spouse doesn’t surf! My spouse has Italy on her bucket list. But Hawaii and Cabo and the Caribbean are fine for beach getaways. Wife has Italy on her list, did I mention that! But there is more than getaways.

Ours will be exploring parts of the US that we have never seen. Just more of a curiosity about so much we never experienced. Toyed with some of the Amtrak passes, a bucket list of national parks, and I realize that I will never see or experience it all.

https://youtu.be/B2AEkfjc6-o

My Beautiful America reminds me that I will not visit every place that I should. Life gets in the way. We have driven through but not experienced so much. At the 10 day mark, we seem always ready to head home.

Comment

I don't "love traveling" but I'm very curious about people, cultures, and languages. It's almost impossible for me to take even 2 weeks off right now between high demand weeks at work, general work demands, and kids' sports and school schedules. I take a lot of one week vacations (unlike others we live Hawaii which is closer than Florida and where we have family and cultural ties) which are great for a break but not enough to completely reset and recharge.

We have done a ton of traveling in the US, but i haven't spent any time in the deep south and think maybe a historical tour including the history of slavery, the Civil War, and the Civil Rights movement is high on my list. Would like to take the kids on that before they head off to college.

I also want to do a road trip with my kids, several weeks long, before they go to college. We do a lot of camping, have trailer/will travel, we like hiking and going to national parks and forests, and there will need to be some east and west coast college scouting trips for the kids.

Kids are in Chinese immersion programs, would like to go back to China or to Taiwan for a couple weeks.

In retirement I plan to, for example, spend 4 weeks in Mexico studying Spanish; 6 weeks in France studying French; 1 month to segment hike the PCT; maybe a month for some European hiking; 3 weeks to see my wife's country of origin; etc. These experiences and time blocks are incompatible with full time work but once youngest has launched (7 years) I plan to be working significantly less. I'll be under 55. Man, even as I type that out I wonder if I need to accelerate this plan, to make sure the idea of the trekking can match my body's abilities.
                        Last edited by FIREshrink; 10-24-2021, 09:56 AM.

Comment

I “love” travel, but give me one big international vacation, one outdoorsy domestic trip to a National Park (or similar), and a few short family visits, long weekends, an NYC getaway, etc. each year, and I am most satisfied. Perhaps in retirement, I might add length to the international trip, but I do not expect travel to increase much in retirement. Like Hatton , I enjoy being home with my dogs and my overall routine.
                          Last edited by VagabondMD; 10-24-2021, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I love being in different places/countries. If you love to explore, best to do it throughout your life. Some types of trips are best enjoyed while young or young-ish. We probably will be youngish when we quit working and have a few countries we would like to spend extended time (months) in. How that experience goes will determine if we do more or less of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne View Post
                              I love being in different places/countries. If you love to explore, best to do it throughout your life. Some types of trips are best enjoyed while young or young-ish. We probably will be youngish when we quit working and have a few countries we would like to spend extended time (months) in. How that experience goes will determine if we do more or less of that.
                              I do plan to work as long as I can hopefully till 70
                              And have travelled a bit when I was younger
                              im thinking maybe cruises if I have to when older

Comment

Working...
                              X