Doctors are too opinionated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctors are too opinionated

Would you guys agree most docs ( generally speaking Ofcourse ) are too opinionated and full of themselves even on issues they have just have cursory or superficial knowledge? As we are always taught to “ fake it till you make it “ as med students or god knows why
    but it’s annoying! I see PA ANP RN acting same way these days

im a primary care doc but feel like it’s hard to get a agnostic nuanced opinion from my colleagues about any non medical issues , they have strong opinions on everything

curious what others think

I don’t think this describes the majority of my circle. Maybe one or two, but I don’t generally ask their opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by pierre View Post
      I don’t think this describes the majority of my circle. Maybe one or two, but I don’t generally ask their opinion.
      I need to change where I work then

Comment

If by most, you mean literally >50%, then you're either correct or not far off. Having said that, there are plenty of docs that aren't like that.

Comment

seldom wrong never in doubt

Comment

Some people are just wicked smart.

Others just talk only about subjects they know well making them seem smart.

Others are just full of BS and you see right through them.

Don't BS a BSer!

Comment

No, they are not. You are wrong!

Just kidding.

I have come to the following conclusion. Doctors have a grueling education and training process, in which they (usually) gain a deep understanding and mastery of their specialty and the talent to perform it a high level. Because of this, they feel that other such disciplines can be similarly approached.

Then, one of two things happens:
              1. They either go on to put in the work to gain expertise and skills in these other areas - be it cars, investments, furniture making, skiing, politics, blogging, wine, golf, triathlons, shoe companies, real estate, etc.
              2. Or they gain a cursory or superficial skill or knowledge of a discipline but it seems to them that they have mastered it. These are the docs that seem to be the most confident in their opinions on issues that they seem to know very little.

Many docs are some combination of #1 and #2. This is based on my observation of doctors, YMMV.

Comment

I have a strong opinion about this. No.

Comment

Originally posted by braindoc View Post
                  I have a strong opinion about this. No.
                  And I rest my case lol

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post
                    If by most, you mean literally >50%, then you're either correct or not far off. Having said that, there are plenty of docs that aren't like that.
                    I’d say 50 to 60 percent
                    just have a hard time saying “ I’m too ignorant on this issue to have an opinion “

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                      Some people are just wicked smart.

Others just talk only about subjects they know well making them seem smart.

Others are just full of BS and you see right through them.

Don't BS a BSer!
                      But I do ! My BS is necessary comic relief
                      I like to stroke the ego of the BSers and then pull the rug from under

acting dumb has a lot of advantages, I also get far less questions from staff

Comment

Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post
                        seldom wrong never in doubt
                        I wish that was true but it ain’t

Comment

It may the result of the life of being a doc. All day long every day your opinion is sought in your professional role so you get used to expressing yourself when asked.

Comment

Originally posted by dennis View Post
                            It may the result of the life of being a doc. All day long every day your opinion is sought in your professional role so you get used to expressing yourself when asked.
                            This was my thought. We as physicians are getting asked for our opinion all day every day, from patients and staff alike. (MD, Makes Decisions) In the professional setting, people around us are deferential to us. It can be hard to turn that off sometimes

Comment

depends on the subject matter. its funny I think physicians are overconfident about this outside of their purview such as finances or investing, social matters, pop culture and underconfident about the things they actually work on daily. There are so many absolute BS things about the world of medicine that we are too timid on the whole to squash.

Comment

Working...
                              X