Star Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars

I want to show my kids the original Star Wars movies, Episodes IV-VI. I refuse to show them the [email protected] versions released in the late 90’s where they had fake Jabba slithering around, Han shooting second, and remakes of classic songs (Ewok celebration song was the most egregious). I have old VHS tapes of the originals, but IV was recorded from TV with bad editing out of commercials and none are widescreen. Has anyone been able to get modified DVDs on the internet? Help me, WCI Forum. You’re my only hope.

I was able to score a DVD set from Costco a long long time ago in a state far far away. There is hope however, a Disney + subscription allows you stream the entire movie collection. At this stage in my life I prefer to only watch The Empire Strikes Back ad infinitum.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigeminal View Post
      I was able to score a DVD set from Costco a long long time ago in a state far far away. There is hope however, a Disney + subscription allows you stream the entire movie collection. At this stage in my life I prefer to only watch The Empire Strikes Back ad infinitum.
      The ones Disney has are the ones I refuse to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post

The ones Disney has are the ones I refuse to watch.
        They’ve altered the movies. Pray they don’t alter them any further.

Old editions on ebay? pirated downloads?
        “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

2006 limited edition versions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-O...-127632-2357-0

Comment

How old are your kids? My oldest is 6. I've watched a little of SW Rebels and Clone wars with him but wonder if the movies are a bit out of reach for him.

Comment

Originally posted by abds View Post
              These were the droids I was looking for.

Found another there with only the theatrical versions. From the description:

“This collection has the original"Han shoots 1st scene.". Jabba appears 1st in ROJ. Jabba's palace & songs are unedited.Darth Vader doesn't yell "Nooo!". as he kills the Emperor. The Ewoks sing "Yub Nub" &Sebastian Shaw is Anakin's Force ghost.“

YES!

Comment

I can't stand Star Wars, but I'm offended that they changed the movie. This is sacralidge! I hope you get the real deal. Good thing I have "The Man With No Name Trillogy" on Blu-Ray, if Disney ever gets their hands on that, it'll be worthless to watch, but I'll have the real deal to show my kids someday!

Comment

i'm kind of embarrassed to say that i saw all of those "Han shot first" memes when they happened but never cared what they referenced.

i am in the camp that SW is cool but massively over-rated. at the end of the day you simply have to factor in the prequels. i'm fine w/ taking a mulligan, but no one gets to take it for 50% of their shots and be considered a master.

i thought Last Jedi was insultingly horrible, the whole premise of the sequel trilogy sucks. Luke has abandoned everyone (including Leia) and doesn't give a crap? what a great piece of character development.

Rogue One was fantastic.

Comment

Most sagas lay a few eggs. It's more the saga than the individual movie of single character development within the story.

Yes Han shoots first. He learned that from Beckett

Comment

I watched them with my family in order of episodes not how they were made It was very cool to start on episode 1 and go through...

Comment

I did this last year with my oldest. He was 6. I watched them on Disney plus and just explained at those parts you mentioned that they were not the original. At least the han shooting first part. I might have missed the jabba scene.

My son still makes fun of me for missing all the good parts because I had to deal with the other kids.

He was really into episodes 4-6. 1-3 were tougher for him to stay focused on. Not sure why. I kinda expected the opposite but I am happy with the results. We stopped there and have yet to venture back.

Have fun. It had been a while since I watched them again and it was a blast to share it with my son.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post
                          i'm kind of embarrassed to say that i saw all of those "Han shot first" memes when they happened but never cared what they referenced.

i am in the camp that SW is cool but massively over-rated. at the end of the day you simply have to factor in the prequels. i'm fine w/ taking a mulligan, but no one gets to take it for 50% of their shots and be considered a master.

i thought Last Jedi was insultingly horrible, the whole premise of the sequel trilogy sucks. Luke has abandoned everyone (including Leia) and doesn't give a crap? what a great piece of character development.

Rogue One was fantastic.
                          Yet another area where we find substantial agreement. I think the original trilogy was fantastic. Lucas really wasn’t the director but gets all the blame and credit. And his [email protected] versions as well as the abysmal I-III completely tarnished him. The most recent Disney ones have been worse, which I didn’t think was possible. I think it’s ok to recognize cinematic glory for short segments of a series. Seinfeld wasn’t incredible during its whole run, nor was The Sopranos, Simpsons, etc. I will only watch Simpsons seasons 3-7. The vast majority of the seasons are pure garbage but most of seasons 3-7 was pure brilliance. Now if only they’d redo the last GOT season…

Comment

Ordered the theatrical widescreen DVDs from eBay last night. Will report back with my findings.

Comment

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
                              Most sagas lay a few eggs. It's more the saga than the individual movie of single character development within the story.

Yes Han shoots first. He learned that from Beckett
                              i agree but until the new trilogy came out SW was at a 50% egg rate. w/ the new trilogy i would argue it's 4/9 now.

Comment

Working...
                              X