Dressing like a pauper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDangerZone View Post

I wore $800 boots to work today... not that anyone can tell.
    What do $800 boots look like? Boots to me typically mean cowboy boots but I’m guessing that isn’t it, although cowboy boots are usually pretty expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

What do $800 boots look like? Boots to me typically mean cowboy boots but I’m guessing that isn’t it, although cowboy boots are usually pretty expensive.
      Hah, you aren’t too far off actually. They are Alden Indy boots made of Shell Cordovan leather and in a narrower/sleeker last than typical. Alden is a US company with a long history. The Alden Indy boot is considered iconic and was worn by Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones. This is the Reddit review and album that made me lust after them for a year or two before I finally pulled the trigger.

https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwel...kmortar_shell/

Comment

I have a very limited set of clothes that I wear, and I sometimes buy multiples:
        -Same white undershirts for work, same white shirts, same brown pants.
        -Same black tshirts for home, same socks, exact same underwear x20.

Other than that I'm usually going through a rotation of 3-4 half sleeve or full sleeve button up shirts and the same 2-3 pants. I'll wear them no matter how worn out, but if they get holes then they get relegated to garage/garden workclothes.

My shoes are usually trashed. I don't like changing out shoes, so aside from my shoes for the clinic, I tend to wear the same pair of shoes around town, hiking, and biking. I've noticed that shoes seem to be a large part of people's perception of you.

Don't buy specific brands, and don't wear things that have a logo. If they do I can usually remove it or cover it.

Also hate shopping. Mostly because the music playing inside stores wears on me quickly.

This thread made me want to check out the thrift stores though.

Comment

Originally posted by Eye3md View Post
          I go to my big national specialty meeting every year and everyone is dressed up (dress shirts, slacks, ties, etc…). There’s no way I’m dressing like that when I wear a tie at work all the time. So, I wear shorts and a t-shirt. I get dirty looks but who cares. I don’t care about getting their approval and they can do zero to augment my business or my life. Comfort is the key
          it seems like you probably spent as much time thinking about what you wore and hoping you were noticed for wearing it as those people in slacks did huh?

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post

it seems like you probably spent as much time thinking about what you wore and hoping you were noticed for wearing it as those people in slacks did huh?
            Not really. If you’ve never been to a national meeting then you have no idea what the others are wearing. During residency, and fellowship, I was never able to attend one of the big national ophthalmology meetings. When I started private practice, I finally attended one and thought “I’ll just dress like I normally do when I’m on vacation”. It was a bit of a shock to walk in to my first meeting hall and see everyone else in suits. So, through the years, I’ve kept up my comfort and let them keep on with their desire to dress up.

Comment

Originally posted by Eye3md View Post

Not really. If you’ve never been to a national meeting then you have no idea what the others are wearing. During residency, and fellowship, I was never able to attend one of the big national ophthalmology meetings. When I started private practice, I finally attended one and thought “I’ll just dress like I normally do when I’m on vacation”. It was a bit of a shock to walk in to my first meeting hall and see everyone else in suits. So, through the years, I’ve kept up my comfort and let them keep on with their desire to dress up.
              i think if you could fairly easily intuit what other surgeons would wear to a national meeting, if you were truly unable to do so that's kind of strange. most surgeons i know dress up for clinic.

i go to them all the time and can't remember ever seeing anyone dressed so casually except on their way in and out of hotel etc.

to me there are situations when insisting on being dressed for your own maximal comfort verges on being unprofessional. if one of my residents insisted on dressing this way at a meeting i wouldn't do anything to stop them, i would also hope they would understand that if they were going to network and learn about career opportunities this would greatly harm their chances of success.

Comment

800 is far past the point of diminishing returns, but there is a different level of craftsmanship there that's appreciated by people looking for the best. I'd equate it to nerds on forums looking to get their already ridiculously low fees down a further few bps and willing to spend more time and effort doing that.

Cowboy boots are pretty much the right idea because they use the same type of techniques to construct the boot and I'd guess for many people that's the only experience they have or can fathom re: expensive boots.

I'm one of said nerds and def appreciate nice clothes and boots. It's expensive but one upside is a lot of these clothes and boots are pretty timeless; my favorite shirt for instance is still one I've been wearing since high school about 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post

800 is far past the point of diminishing returns, but there is a different level of craftsmanship there that's appreciated by people looking for the best. I'd equate it to nerds on forums looking to get their already ridiculously low fees down a further few bps and willing to spend more time and effort doing that.

Cowboy boots are pretty much the right idea because they use the same type of techniques to construct the boot and I'd guess for many people that's the only experience they have or can fathom re: expensive boots.

I'm one of said nerds and def appreciate nice clothes and boots. It's expensive but one upside is a lot of these clothes and boots are pretty timeless; my favorite shirt for instance is still one I've been wearing since high school about 10 years ago.
                  My thoughts on boots that expensive that you get for the craftsmanship can be summed up in the song 'Air Force Ones': "once you scuff 'em you eff'd up your whole night".

Comment

My thoughts on boots that expensive that you get for the craftsmanship can be summed up in the song 'Air Force Ones': "once you scuff 'em you eff'd up your whole night".
                    Cordovan is different because its a very dressy leather and is touted as being ultra durable which maybe it technically is, but most people treat their cordovan boots like dress shoes... cordovan would be like a ferrari. Other high quality leathers, though, would be like a Lexus LS. They're real ************************-kickers and will last a lifetime if properly taken care of. For many people the point is to wear them and scuff them so they look nice and aged. Of course, many people who say that have so many boots that they'll never really get the proper use out of them

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post

i think if you could fairly easily intuit what other surgeons would wear to a national meeting, if you were truly unable to do so that's kind of strange. most surgeons i know dress up for clinic.

i go to them all the time and can't remember ever seeing anyone dressed so casually except on their way in and out of hotel etc.

to me there are situations when insisting on being dressed for your own maximal comfort verges on being unprofessional. if one of my residents insisted on dressing this way at a meeting i wouldn't do anything to stop them, i would also hope they would understand that if they were going to network and learn about career opportunities this would greatly harm their chances of success.
                      Yeah I'm a comfort person, scrubs at work in hospital or clinic. But the most I would dress down for a conference is my lululemon khakis and a polo shirt.

Comment

Like my cars, I use clothes til they fall apart. Typically the really tattered stuff only gets on rotation for workouts, but you know how it goes sometimes, stuff makes a public appearance.

if I have to buy, Old Navy is the go to store (no, I'm not 12) or use a pro-form such as with climbing or hunting gear which I will buy top of line.

Like everything else, I have no prob spending money if necessary. I have opera pumps that cost like $300 (on sale) that are usually only worn once a year with my tux. ARGH...I'm looking forward to formal events again....

Comment

Cordovan is different because its a very dressy leather and is touted as being ultra durable which maybe it technically is, but most people treat their cordovan boots like dress shoes... cordovan would be like a ferrari. Other high quality leathers, though, would be like a Lexus LS. They're real ************************-kickers and will last a lifetime if properly taken care of. For many people the point is to wear them and scuff them so they look nice and aged. Of course, many people who say that have so many boots that they'll never really get the proper use out of them
                          Yeah exactly. The scuffs buff out and add character. I certainly don’t mind them. I’m pretty rough on my boots and all my shell pairs have their marks. It's a great leather. I used to polish them once every 3-4 months but it’s probably been close to a year since I last did anything aside from a quick brush.

Air Force 1's on the other hand, once those get scuffed it's game over if you want to keep your street cred.

Comment

most people treat their cordovan boots like dress shoes... cordovan would be like a ferrari. Other high quality leathers, though, would be like a Lexus LS. They're real ************************-kickers and will last a lifetime if properly taken care of. For many people the point is to wear them and scuff them so they look nice and aged.
                            The bolded is the problem for me with expensive wear items, be they shoes or dress pants or shirts or even exercise dress. I don't have time to baby them regularly applying leather conditioner and polishing them regularly and treating them gently. Or washing the expensive clothes correctly. God forbid if I have to dry clean them.

The pain of spending $800 will soon pass, the pain of their upkeep will last a lifetime. So I buy <$100 shoes and use and abuse them and throw away when the sole cannot be glued back.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

The bolded is the problem for me with expensive wear items, be they shoes or dress pants or shirts or even exercise dress. I don't have time to baby them regularly applying leather conditioner and polishing them regularly and treating them gently. Or washing the expensive clothes correctly. God forbid if I have to dry clean them.

The pain of spending $800 will soon pass, the pain of their upkeep will last a lifetime. So I buy <$100 shoes and use and abuse them and throw away when the sole cannot be glued back.
                              I think people generally over treat, because they find it enjoyable, or under treat, because they're lazy. By "properly taken care of" i just mean cleaning them after a winter, not wearing them every single day, resoling when needed... personally I like cleaning my leather stuff and find it relaxing. But if you don't, then buying cheaper shoes and throwing them away every few years is absolutely going to be cheaper and better for your lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDangerZone View Post

Yeah exactly. The scuffs buff out and add character. I certainly don’t mind them. I’m pretty rough on my boots and all my shell pairs have their marks. It's a great leather. I used to polish them once every 3-4 months but it’s probably been close to a year since I last did anything aside from a quick brush.

Air Force 1's on the other hand, once those get scuffed it's game over if you want to keep your street cred.
                                What shell pairs do you have? I love the leather in theory, and have a shell wallet, but have been a little underwhelmed with the aging since it doesn't age like normal leather and, imo, shell looks best when its basically new and shiny without marks on it. Personally, I really like horsehide.

Comment

Working...
                                X