No announcement yet.

Dressing like a pauper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrubs and fleece for work. Worn out t shirts and shorts with varying levels of grass and oil stains most other days. I just don’t see the point in burning cash on clothes all that often when they usually get trashed while doing random projects or kids trashing them somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post

Didn’t mention his clip board or holier than though attitude. Sounds more like an NP student move.
      The clipboard with the 'keep calm and carry on' and 'but first, coffee' stickers?

Comment

I have a man’s cashmere sweater that I bought at a consignment store in high school for $30, it is super soft and better quality than a lot of the newer cashmere I’ve seen out there. I’ve had it for at least 27 years now. It’s my lucky sweater—i wore it for the SAT, the MCAT, all USMLE steps, my written boards. Now my husband wears it more than I do.

i have a fair amount of nice clothes that I like but rarely wear anymore, especially with my 2020/2021 lifestyle. Someday I think I’ll wear them again. I mostly wear old race t-shirts and shorts around the house. I did buy into the Vuori hype recently and bought a few joggers and sweatshirts and do not regret that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

The clipboard with the 'keep calm and carry on' and 'but first, coffee' stickers?
          That’s the one. Ironically held while telling you that coffee at your desk will kill 100% of your patients.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne View Post
            I have a man’s cashmere sweater that I bought at a consignment store in high school for $30, it is super soft and better quality than a lot of the newer cashmere I’ve seen out there. I’ve had it for at least 27 years now. It’s my lucky sweater—i wore it for the SAT, the MCAT, all USMLE steps, my written boards. Now my husband wears it more than I do.

i have a fair amount of nice clothes that I like but rarely wear anymore, especially with my 2020/2021 lifestyle. Someday I think I’ll wear them again. I mostly wear old race t-shirts and shorts around the house. I did buy into the Vuori hype recently and bought a few joggers and sweatshirts and do not regret that at all.
            You wore a cashmere sweater to the mcat? I’m pretty sure I wore gym shorts and a hoodie.

Comment

Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post

You wore a cashmere sweater to the mcat? I’m pretty sure I wore gym shorts and a hoodie.
              As did I…but my hoodie was made from the undercoat of Mongolian goats

Comment

Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post
                I love wearing scrubs, even sometimes on days when I am not clinical. So I simply throw the white lab coat on over the scrubs, with the nice embroidered name tag, and I walk into a meeting with the suits from the C-suite.
                One thing I did after retiring was to throw out every pair of scrubs (hospital origin) that I owned.

Comment

I like to dress nicely. Pretty sure 95% of my husband's t-shirts and hoodies are free and branded from his current company or from his prior university job. I don't actually mind because all the millenials recognize the company, comment on how cool it is, and we get better service.

Comment

Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post
                    I wear shorts until it's unbearably cold, then jeans. Typically with some kind of sandals. And I have an array of t-shirts such as the one below. Juvenile? Perhaps. Awesome? Yes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61MkMDY7w7L._AC_UL1050_.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	296383
                    What counts as unbearably cold? A year or so ago I just decided to embrace the cold. I wear shorts year round no matter what the temp. The more I can stand the cold in the winter, the easier it is to handle the heat in the summer.

I have a few pair of Vuori shorts that are like $80. But I wear solid color $5 T-shirts from Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by pierre View Post

What counts as unbearably cold? A year or so ago I just decided to embrace the cold. I wear shorts year round no matter what the temp. The more I can stand the cold in the winter, the easier it is to handle the heat in the summer.

I have a few pair of Vuori shorts that are like $80. But I wear solid color $5 T-shirts from Amazon.
                      Well, not unbearably. But when it’s consistently in the 40’s. Walmart has good $20 shorts.

Comment

I dress primarily for comfort. Sometimes it's cheap (old running t-shirts and sweatshirts/shorts) sometimes not (Kuhl, Vuori, and Patagonia - always on sale). Now that I work from home, I usually wear t-shirts and shorts with bare feet when it is warm (May-October), and long sleeve tee's or quarter zips and joggers with slippers when it is cooler (November to April).

Comment

I follow 3 stylists on YouTube. I exercise restraint by limiting my clothing purchases to $xxxx annually. I will never let my husband know my x.

Comment

i love how these threads (like car threads) turn into a "who can be the cheapest" contest really quickly.

Comment

I go to my big national specialty meeting every year and everyone is dressed up (dress shirts, slacks, ties, etc…). There’s no way I’m dressing like that when I wear a tie at work all the time. So, I wear shorts and a t-shirt. I get dirty looks but who cares. I don’t care about getting their approval and they can do zero to augment my business or my life. Comfort is the key

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post
                                i love how these threads (like car threads) turn into a "who can be the cheapest" contest really quickly.
                                I wore $800 boots to work today... not that anyone can tell. In med school and residency, I read a lot of style blogs and forums. Some people take their style pretty seriously (browse styleforum if you really want to see bogleheads level of obsession regarding style etiquette). I got really into footwear as well and have a pretty sizable boot collection. Ironically, since I've been an Attending, I've bought maybe a couple pairs of shoes as all the ones I already own are buy it for life type status.

I have a basic work outfit: oxford collar button down, slacks, dress boots. White coat, no tie. The only thinking I have to do every morning is deciding what color scheme I want to go with, and which boots to wear. Certain leathers like shell cordovan don't do well in rain. I operate ~3 days a week and figs scrubs have been my go to for 3-4 years.

If OP is referring to what I wear when out and about, no I don't take pleasure in wearing tattered 20+ year clothes with holes, but I'm not going to judge you for doing it either. Thrift stores are awesome as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X