Dressing like a pauper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dressing like a pauper

Any of you guys normally dress with holes in your clothes, clothes from high school, stuff you'd get from thrift stores?

I still giggle when people think im poor.

I only wear scrubs...everywhere
    DMD '21. Perio '24.

Comment

yes.

Comment

I'm a very basic dresser but I also don't look like I'm homeless.

Comment

I wear shorts until it's unbearably cold, then jeans. Typically with some kind of sandals. And I have an array of t-shirts such as the one below. Juvenile? Perhaps. Awesome? Yes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61MkMDY7w7L._AC_UL1050_.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	296383

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
            Any of you guys normally dress with holes in your clothes, clothes from high school, stuff you'd get from thrift stores?

I wear clean but unfashionable clothes, some of which are basic and some show age with some fraying on the ends.

As to clothes with holes, I can't afford it. Those jeans with holes and fraying and so d**n expensive compared to "holeless" ones ( my daughter states that they are worth it !!). Yesterday there was this girl sitting across me in the chair at an airport gate and I swear her jeans had more holes in it that it had cloth material It must have cost her a pretty penny.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

I wear clean but unfashionable clothes, some of which are basic and some show age with some fraying on the ends.

As to clothes with holes, I can't afford it. Those jeans with holes and fraying and so d**n expensive compared to "holeless" ones ( my daughter states that they are worth it !!). Yesterday there was this girl sitting across me in the chair at an airport gate and I swear her jeans had more holes in it that it had cloth material It must have cost her a pretty penny.
              Ha ha, cannot agree more about how expensive the "holes" are. Emperor has not clothes, as one can say.

I am probably on par with the rest of this forum. Clean, professional but not over the top expensive brand-name stuff. Have a few brand name shirts and slacks but most of those are from Costco anyhow. I am also a big fan of Duluth Trading company, which is a common store here in the upper midwest with clothes that are comfy, look sharp and if you get them on sale/in the outlet store can be reasonably inexpensive.

Comment

Thrift shop and ebay, almost everything I wear. Good condition, just inexpensive. Modest, nondescript, muted colors and patterns, if any at all. I pay no attention to fashion.

Comment

I've worn residency scrubs from 1999. But this year the company got us FIGS. Patients have even commented on the FIGS. So from the basement to the Penthouse overnight.

Comment

Gym shorts or khaki shorts and tee shirts, most days. All of my shirts are dry-wick because I’m a sweaty dude. Most of my t-shirts are Patagonia - they’re reasonably priced, hold up and I like the weight and cut. If I’m feeling fancy, I put on a polo, again, dry wick. I have “nice” clothes that I never wear except maybe once a month on date with my wife.

I usually buy the dry wicking tee shirts when they’re on sale for $20-30 (usually sell for 45-60) and polos when on sale for 30-45 (usually 50-100) - usually just check the sale aisle at REI or a similar local store. I (or more often, my wife) will buy me a pair or two of gym shorts every year at TJ Maxx or Nordstrom Rack or something.

Shoes - summer: Birkenstock’s. Winter - Blundstone boots. Olukais in the hospital. I do wear nice socks. I like the swift wick and bonobos.

I buy nice running shoes and have starting buying full price (gasp) running apparel as I’ve been increasing my distances and getting a little more serious about it. I usually buy last seasons Brooks.

Comment

I grab what is ever on the top of the drawer or front of the closet. I rarely buy new clothes. I have plenty of old t shirts from decades ago and will hold onto them until my wife makes me throw them out. Mostly polo shirts and shorts until I cannot stand it and switch to jeans. ENT Doc we sound similar in that respect.

I do not go for any particular brand

Work clothes get replaced a little more mostly because I wear them so much more. I seem to burn holes in my pants way faster then the normal person. I think I walk more then the average person. Also it must be the way I sit but my wallet kills that back pocket. My wife jokes I should subscribe to pants on amazon since I just reorder them every year or so.

Some of this is out of cheapness but mostly I just hate shopping.

Comment

I'm clean but no frills and not especially eye catching. Someone once mentioned surprise that I had lived and worked inner city for decades without ever getting mugged. Spouse commented because I look only one degree of separation from homeless and like I might be willing to fight.

Comment

I love wearing scrubs, even sometimes on days when I am not clinical. So I simply throw the white lab coat on over the scrubs, with the nice embroidered name tag, and I walk into a meeting with the suits from the C-suite.

Comment

Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post
                            So I simply throw the white lab coat...with the nice embroidered name tag
                            When did you become a nursing administrator?

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

When did you become a nursing administrator?
                              Didn’t mention his clip board or holier than though attitude. Sounds more like an NP student move.

Comment

Working...
                              X