How well do you sleep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How well do you sleep?

This has been an issue with me for the last few years. I do not have much of a problem falling asleep after about 30-45 minutes in my bed, usually time to sleep is between 10-11pm. However, most of the time I am up by 3-430am. I am trying to think of possibilities that wake me up and I know for sure it is not financial because at this point in my late 40s I have more than I ever thought I would. There really are no personal issues beyond normal married couple with 2 teenagers type squabbles. I take enough time off for vacations throughout the year to recharge. That leaves mostly work type issues it seems in my subconscious, I can function fine on minimal sleep and it does not affect my surgical abilities. I do not know what to at this point besides calling my PCP and asking for Trazodone or a similar medication. The last thing I want to do is start any meds which can affect my mental capacity but I also do not want to be at risk for Alzheimer's due to chronic insomnia. At least when I wake up in the middle of the night I read WCI

Do you work out?

Comment

Are you sure it's not physical? I sleep wonderfully now on the nights I allow myself an ibuprofen - but the lush new mattress topper definitely helped for the other nights too.

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
        Do you work out?
        I do exercise 2-3 times M-F after work and Sat/Sun morning I exercise or go for a hike.

Comment

As an EM doc, I do shift work and my sleep is absolutely terrible, so I can't be of much help, but I am absolutely paying attention to any advice anyone might offer. I too have little difficulty falling asleep but then wake up after a few hours and have a great deal of difficulty falling back asleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Craigslist View Post
            Do you work out?
            Hey now, this isn't a dating site...

Comment

try a baby dose of melatonin, and try not to look at phone.
              Zarbee's Naturals Children's Sleep with Melatonin Supplement, Natural Grape Flavor, 50 Chewable Tablets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XTGLWNC...EWTHFGHJ3C5C8Y

Comment

Do you think your problem is going to sleep or staying asleep?

Sleep hygiene and melatonin helps. Otherwise make sure your pillow/mattress/temperature is optimized too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post
                  try a baby dose of melatonin, and try not to look at phone.
                  Zarbee's Naturals Children's Sleep with Melatonin Supplement, Natural Grape Flavor, 50 Chewable Tablets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XTGLWNC...EWTHFGHJ3C5C8Y
                  I have tried Melatonin to varying effect although I admit I do not take it daily but I will try it now for sure. The phone is more addicting than crack cocaine unfortunately and I will try to put it further away from by bed. The temperature of the room can be a little lower so I will also try that.

Comment

Do all the lifestyle stuff. No screens, bed the same time, Avoid caffeine and alcohol, wake up the same time, no naps.

Increase daily exercise

Consider a pre bed warm shower

Make the bedroom colder and darker if needed.

Comment

I sleep great but that doesn’t help you. I’ve long said I wish I could sleep for other people who don’t sleep well as a job because it’s one of few things I’m truly gifted at. I do generally wake up once in the middle of the night to use the bathroom but my mind essentially stays off and I go right back to sleep. There have been some anxious times in my life when that wasn’t the case and i would start thinking and then wouldn’t be able to turn it off, during those times practicing meditation during the evening helped to relearn how to let the brain not grasp onto thoughts. Other than that agree with the lifestyle stuff above.

Comment

up until the age of 39 i would say i was in the top 1% of all sleepers. i am not making this up when i say that i would usually be sound asleep 45 seconds after closing my eyes and get 8-9h of restful sleep without ever waking up.

now that i'm a little older i would say i'm in the top 5%. the things that have changed:
                        1. i am MUCH more sensitive to caffeine and avoid to after about 4p now. a cup of coffee at 5p is going to hurt me. i used to -- i'm dead serious here -- drink a few cups of coffee in the evening just b/c i liked it.
                        2. i can't really sleep in, the only time i sleep past about 730 is if i was up past midnight.

baby dose melatonin a few nights/week - 1mg does the trick.

Comment

In addition to the things listed above, here are some less commonly referenced interventions which have helped me:
                          Programmable cooling mattress topper: https://www.eightsleep.com/product/pod-pro-cover/
                          This thing isn't cheap but I've been impressed with it so far. You can program different temperatures to kick in at different stages of sleep: falling asleep, deep sleep, REM sleep, and waking up. It has HR, RR and motion sensors which detect when you fall asleep, when you toss and turn, if you get out of bed, etc. It also reports and learns from your sleep quality and HRV. This thing also solved a huge sleep problem I often had, which is that I'd go to bed feeling cold and then wake up in the middle of the night hot and sweaty. Now I've got it dialed in so that I'm at a comfortable temperature throughout the night.

Supplements: Magnesium (specifically magnesium threonate), theanine, and chamomile (either via tea or extract)
                          Found this through a sleep researcher, Andrew Huberman (https://hubermanlab.com/dr-matthew-w...ng-your-sleep/) He also scared me off of melatonin, for what it's worth.

Sleep tracker: Oura Ring (https://ouraring.com/)
                          What gets measured gets managed. This thing does a shockingly good job detecting when I fall asleep and wake up, how deeply I sleep, how well recovered I am, etc. Of course you generally know these things when you wake up in the morning, but it can be helpful to have quantitative data and to evaluate trends. It's been helpful in figuring out what kinds of things I'm doing that contribute to good or bad sleep. For example, I underestimated how much effect a before-bed snack was having on my sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post
                            up until the age of 39 i would say i was in the top 1% of all sleepers. i am not making this up when i say that i would usually be sound asleep 45 seconds after closing my eyes and get 8-9h of restful sleep without ever waking up.

now that i'm a little older i would say i'm in the top 5%. the things that have changed:
                            1. i am MUCH more sensitive to caffeine and avoid to after about 4p now. a cup of coffee at 5p is going to hurt me. i used to -- i'm dead serious here -- drink a few cups of coffee in the evening just b/c i liked it.
                            2. i can't really sleep in, the only time i sleep past about 730 is if i was up past midnight.

baby dose melatonin a few nights/week - 1mg does the trick.
                            Yeah, this is basically me, used to have a nice warm coffee before bed, but that was residency, I try to not have any coffee after morning, usually that means 9am, no more, def not after noon or else I'll be in bed lying awake wondering..."why am i awake"?

If you're waking up and then looking at screens thats not good, I mean as Im older I 'have to' wake up in the middle of the night now, but I wouldnt dare look at my phone or anything, bad recipe.

Comment

The worst thing I ever did for my sleep was have kids. I spent their first few years sleep training them. After they finally slept through the night, I realized that I needed to figure out how to sleep train myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X