Technology = Diminishing Yields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technology = Diminishing Yields

It seems as if we have reached a point where technological advances are becoming more of a hinderance than a benefit to society. Apps for everything. Digital everything. 100+ passwords to remember. Everything is run digitally and half the time it doesn’t seem to work. Also, it has been widely used to quickly spread misinformation and propaganda. A lot of cool useful things have come about from it, but now…. I don’t know. I’m about ready to become a hermit in the woods or something. Rant over.

Welcome to the party, where have you been? Although, I think your example is specific to social media and related discussions - many wonderful uses of technology in the medical field along with various other areas that I’m sure others can relate.
    Last edited by jfoxcpacfp; 09-02-2021, 01:20 PM. Reason: Made more coherent
    Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I think it is all perspective , I still remember going to a pay phone with a bunch of quarters , if I wanted to call someone when I wasn't home. My adult kids can't read a map that doesn't talk to you or a clock that is not digital. I could probably do with out a lot of the new technology. But I could not imagine calling a broker to make a stock trade or putting a stamp on letter to correspond with someone.. As far as propaganda , may have been worse years ago, when you did not have the advantage of technology that wasn't controlled by the government, such as magazine, radio and movies. You just did not realize it, for example pre-war Germany.

Comment

I'm glad my mother's new car won't let her hit a pedestrian front or back, it reduces the stakes of figuring out when she shouldn't be driving any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Random1 View Post
          My adult kids can't read a map that doesn't talk to you or a clock that is not digital.
          That reminds me of a time around 03-04 when I went on a multi state road trip on my motorcycle. All I had for navigation was a 50 state atlas and printed out directions from Mapquest to a friends house near San Diego. I would just know which town I was heading towards and watch the signs to make sure I went the right direction. Those were the days.

Comment

Maybe it is just my age but it is hard to learn all the new features on my Lexus. I am spending lots of time in my garage with the owners manual. I really like to able to understand everything. Yes I will not hit a pedestrian. I do love being able to spin the cameras around the vehicle to see exactly how I am parked in a spot.
            When I changed the locks on my new house I did not go with WIFI enabled locks. I could see problems with this.

Comment

About a year ago I made the jump to Apple just using Safari on iphone and mac laptop, and auto generated super complex passwords and saved them on the Keychain. I totally agree with the explosion of apps and passwords for everything that having a safe but functional password storage system is really important. And related to a financial forum, the first thing I did was get unique and very complex passwords for my financial sites as I have more to lose now.

Comment

Originally posted by Random1 View Post
                I think it is all perspective , I still remember going to a pay phone with a bunch of quarters , if I wanted to call someone when I wasn't home. My adult kids can't read a map that doesn't talk to you or a clock that is not digital. I could probably do with out a lot of the new technology. But I could not imagine calling a broker to make a stock trade or putting a stamp on letter to correspond with someone.. As far as propaganda , may have been worse years ago, when you did not have the advantage of technology that wasn't controlled by the government, such as magazine, radio and movies. You just did not realize it, for example pre-war Germany.
                News used to be the hometown paper and 3 channels at 6 and 10pm. The front page was the headlines and then the "journalists" used discretion. Secrets were kept "confidential" and only "public corruption" was fair game. Mostly local. Tons of advertisements. Information was spoon fed and any violations of "off the record" were simply not given access anymore. That was "free press". Tabloid publications were not trusted.

Comment

Technology often makes me feel like the Red Queen: running and running ever faster just to stand in the same place. But for better or worse, we're stuck with it. I do think a lot of us could stand to be more thoughtful of how much and where we use it. (Yes I am aware of the irony of posting this on an online message board.)

Comment

Only since the start of the industrial age!

Comment

Just an anecdote about over reliance on tech. In my youth (pre-GPS), midshipmen we’re taught celestial navigation. Could literally navigate around the world with a sextant, compass, and chart. After GPS enabled digital charts, celestial was discontinued and the art was dying. Then the rest of the world caught up and threatened GPS satellites, so full circle we are back to teaching celestial nav even while everyone still uses digital charts. Moral: tech is often great, but there is value in understanding how to get along without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Ragman View Post
                        Just an anecdote about over reliance on tech. In my youth (pre-GPS), midshipmen we’re taught celestial navigation. Could literally navigate around the world with a sextant, compass, and chart. After GPS enabled digital charts, celestial was discontinued and the art was dying. Then the rest of the world caught up and threatened GPS satellites, so full circle we are back to teaching celestial nav even while everyone still uses digital charts. Moral: tech is often great, but there is value in understanding how to get along without it.
                        It certainly saved Mark Watney's butt!

I am sure we will look back (or our decedents) at this time and think it was all so primitive.

Comment

Not all change is progress.

Social media has not been a blessing IMO. Echo chamber. Amplification of tribal hatred. Both sides suck.

Now I cannot even say "progress" without some thinking it is a political stance (so polarized and pathetic our world has become).

How about this: "Not all change is improvement".

I love to be able to order something on amazon while walking in a parking lot to my car or us GPS to help me navigate around or listen to podcasts and audiobooks while driving.

I hate social media. I hate the fact that facebook is replacing websites (example, my beloved kayak fishing association website was discontinued).

I don't tweet.

Fake book? Nope. not me.

I think we need to unplug and go hiking or paddle around in a kayak at least a few times a week, but I do like to listen to stuff while doing errands and I do like watching movies and learning stuff from you tube clips (example fishing knots).
                          Last edited by Tangler; 09-03-2021, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
                            Maybe it is just my age but it is hard to learn all the new features on my Lexus. I am spending lots of time in my garage with the owners manual. I really like to able to understand everything. Yes I will not hit a pedestrian. I do love being able to spin the cameras around the vehicle to see exactly how I am parked in a spot.
                            When I changed the locks on my new house I did not go with WIFI enabled locks. I could see problems with this.
                            You're the first person I've heard of that even opens the owner's manual, let alone reads it.

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

You're the first person I've heard of that even opens the owner's manual, let alone reads it.
                              You tube video? might be easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X