Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a way of dealing with schools and current cough/cold/allergy clearances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a way of dealing with schools and current cough/cold/allergy clearances

I'm getting a lot of calls / telemed visits - 'hi my kid has a cough and runny nose, can you tell the school it's a seasonal allergies.'

No? Bring him in. "But I know it's allergies we all have them and we take allergy medicine and we're fine."

I mean, maybe. But probably you all have colds.

"But it's been going on since the fires started".

Still probably colds unless your kid has asthma.

--

I just got a call similar to this - mom had been tested for COVID 2 days ago, otherwise I might have advised them to get tested. I feel bad but I also don't really know what to do about making them come in. Heck even if they do come in it's difficult to differentiate colds and allergies anyway, and of course conceivably mom is covid negative but kid has covid.

I don’t clear anyone to go back to school without a negative test. If you don’t want to get tested, you don’t get cleared.

Comment

Anyone who needs a note needs a visit.

Testing depends on the clinical scenario.

I have had very little confrontation with families. I apologize about being in a crummy unprecedented situation and most follow my recs for testing/no testing. If I rec testing and they decline they will likely not like way I write the note.

Comment

This scenario is frustrating as a parent. School policy is you are supposed to see the pediatrician, who will decide whether they can return or need COVID test. No problem. Except pediatrician policy is you can't be seen until you have a negative COVID test. And the next available COVID test isn't until the following afternoon, with results 24-48 hours after that.

So when our kid woke up on Tuesday morning with minor cold symptoms, options are:
        A) Ignore it, send them to school
        B) Try and do the right thing and keep them home, but kid will likely be out the rest of the week

Comment

Originally posted by dayman View Post
          This scenario is frustrating as a parent. School policy is you are supposed to see the pediatrician, who will decide whether they can return or need COVID test. No problem. Except pediatrician policy is you can't be seen until you have a negative COVID test. And the next available COVID test isn't until the following afternoon, with results 24-48 hours after that.

So when our kid woke up on Tuesday morning with minor cold symptoms, options are:
          A) Ignore it, send them to school
          B) Try and do the right thing and keep them home, but kid will likely be out the rest of the week
          Curious - what did you do?
          Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by jfoxcpacfp View Post

Curious - what did you do?
            We kept him home. By noon he had zero symptoms, was just a few coughs at breakfast. I was concerned the school would balk at him returning without a negative test or doctor's note, but thankfully they were OK with him coming back next day since he was completely symptom-free.

Comment

Thanks it helps to know I'm not the only person having people do things that are inconveniencing. Just the nature of the situation now.

Same mom came in today, wouldn't you know it, cough and rhinorrhea is worse, and she was tested last week.

Originally posted by Tuxedo View Post
              Anyone who needs a note needs a visit.
              Great that's what I'm going to tell the people who man the phones to say.

Comment

Do the fast tests meet the criteria for returning to school?

Comment

Originally posted by legobikes View Post

Same mom came in today, wouldn't you know it, cough and rhinorrhea is worse, and she was tested last week.

I believe "person" the phones is the socially acceptable way to use that phrase

Comment

They're all girls so I'm being so nonbinary right now by implying they're the opposite gender.

Comment

I predict you will find it fascinating how many people "need" a note and then when they find out an appointment (telehealth or in person) is required they say, "oh nevermind, school prefers a note but doesn't require it".

Comment

They're all girls so I'm being so nonbinary right now by implying they're the opposite gender.
                        Girls! Lol, I had to re-read, thought you meant your children 😂
                        Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Ahem, ~ladies~

Comment

Working...
                          X