vacation bubble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacation bubble

It seems that half my patients are either getting back from vacation or getting ready to go on vacation. It would seem that the economy is doing great. I know its summer but it is crazy how often my patients talk about vacation. I have not been out of residency for too long so not sure if this is normal. What are your thoughts about how so many have enough discretionary money to go on great vacations, is this normal, is the economy getting too hot or is this not any indicator at all? Am I the only one who is noticing this? Maybe I am just jealous! Thoughts?

Despite a few whiners on the internet complaining about how bad things are nowadays, the majority of people out there are doing just fine and taking vacation. I think you are just jealous     Maybe you want to start planning one yourself.

Comment

Maybe it's time for a break. Business slows down in the summer for lots of people. School's out and families have wanderlust. We notice a decrease in appointments, too. imho, this doesn't indicate the economy is getting hot, just the temperature.
      Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

It seems that half my patients are either getting back from vacation or getting ready to go on vacation. It would seem that the economy is doing great. I know its summer but it is crazy how often my patients talk about vacation. I have not been out of residency for too long so not sure if this is normal. What are your thoughts about how so many have enough discretionary money to go on great vacations, is this normal, is the economy getting too hot or is this not any indicator at all? Am I the only one who is noticing this? Maybe I am just jealous! Thoughts?

Taking a vacation is normal. Physicians are the only ones who think it is a badge of honor to work long and hard, and die at work ( My previous office landlord, a family physician, died at work).

Most people take a summer vacation. Here it is the beach. All they do is go for a week to stay in a condo or with a distant aunt and have a good time. They tip their toes in the water and lie in the beach like sea lions, basking in the heat. And come back home happy as a clam.

If you don't start taking regular vacations at least twice a year you are going to experience burnout in your career. Enjoy life while earning and saving money. My road trip to Canada is coming up in two weeks. A nice long journey for 2 weeks.

Comment

all i do when i walk in the room during the summers is ask where people are going to or coming from. makes them a lot happier during the visit.

we like to travel off times as it were. so i get to make my patients jealous during fall and spring.

Comment

Pretty normal.  Most of it is centered around when the kids are off of school.  Plus, pretty far away from expensive Christmas season, tax refunds have been rolling around in accounts for a little while now making people feel flush, etc.  And yeah nobody wants to travel when it's cold.

Many people have to take a day off to have time to go to the doctor, so it might be lumped together with their time off for a trip.  And many just want to get stuff like that out of the way before going on a trip.  I know I do all my laundry and knock out errands I've been putting off prior to vacation.

And finally, every year at the end of June, there's a big influx of graduating residents taking a trip before they start attendinghood.   :lol:

Comment

Welcome to the real world where most people arent at all as crazy as we are about things like work.

My pt flow comes to a stand still when school is let out in june and people go on vacation/adjust and again when school starts.

Comment

I used to not care about summer vacations.  As I have been practicing longer, patient census is down over the summer.  might as well take a break.  1 Kid is school age too so need to plan vacation around school breaks.  About discretionary money on vacations- it really depends on you.  Some have a budget of <10k per year, some have 40k. If it's within your budget, go take it.  We all need it.

Comment

People in the US vacation far less than Europeans. Entire countries there seem to shut down in August. We go on so many trips they're not really "vacations" but more of a lifestyle. This month my wife spent 10 days in Northern Europe and 16 in Alaska. I couldn't take that much time off, but I spent 10 in Alaska and 3 days camping/rafting with a youth group.

If you can afford it, travel so much that you get to the point where you'd rather be home working than go on another trip.
                  Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

On the Goals worksheet that clients complete during planning, "travel" is the only goal that is listed 100% of the time by physicians. It even beats retirement (a very close second), if you can believe that.
                    Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I live to travel. I do enjoy coming back home after 2-3 weeks but love to travel. I have at a minimum one overseas vacation a year, and if I can swing it, two.

When you enjoy the drama that goes on during the wildebeest migration just before they cross the river, the office drama is the last thing on your mind.  

Comment

OP, it's time for you to start planning a nice vacation!  

Comment

Lately I've been rethinking my goals of retiring early.  Part of it is the realization that I'd be spending so much of my hard earned money on health insurance if I did.  It's got me thinking I should spend more on happiness now and just save enough to retire when I'm close to 65 (if I live that long).  I'm still planning on maxing out tax advantaged accounts each year and trying to put extra into taxable, but I'm thinking of being less aggressive with the taxable account and using a couple thousand here and there for a quick trip somewhere fun.

I agree with WCI that Europeans take a lot more vacation than we do.  Most Americans do exactly as described above...1 week in Destin Florida (or similar) each year and that's it.  Europeans average 8 weeks of paid vacation a year and they use it.  Some of that is government mandated (employers are expected to take better care of their employees).  We have an airbnb room at our house and we get a lot of Europeans on vacation come through here.  We talk to all of them about where they've been, where they're going, what they do for a living and how they can afford to travel like this and take time off work.  They all look at us like we're crazy when we tell them what most American's get for vacation.  It's pretty impressive how much they travel and how much more relaxed they are than us.  It's inspirational really.  The Michael Moore documentary "Where to Invade Next" is pretty accurate in regards to Europeans and they're work lives, at least from what we've been seeing.

Anyway,

My goal is to do more traveling.  We just planned a spontaneous trip to Yosemite in July for a week of backpacking (going to hike up to Cloud's Rest for some sunrise/sunset photos and hopefully see all the raging waterfalls from the heavy snowpack this year and some high altitude lakes).  In August we're taking a short trip down to western kentucky to camp and watch the eclipse.  I haven't planned September yet, but I'm thinking of going out to the Tetons or maybe the northern cascades NP for more backpacking and photography.  Just for a week.  We have started a new tradition over the last 2 years of going to Hawaii every winter for an Internal Medicine conference and staying an extra week for fun.  I think we're going to do the same this year and explore Haleakala NP on Maui.  In October we're going to Joshua Tree for a wedding and we're going to, of course, stay for a little extra hiking and camping.

Lately, I feel like I would rather spend more on vacations and work longer than sit around my house bored out of my mind all year raking in cash.  I have in the past found that sometimes too many trips can be tiring and if that happens I can just spend a few months at home working extra.  That's part of the reason I decided to continue working as a hospitalist.  It gives me a lot of flexibility in my schedule.  Although, we can't travel TOO much because my wife is limited in her time off from work.  I'd say 4-5 one to two week trips a year is pretty doable for us though with an occasional long weekend to NYC to visit my sister in law.

Comment

In August we’re taking a short trip down to western kentucky to camp and watch the eclipse.

You know that's right in my backyard, don't you? Would love to say hi!

Comment

In August we’re taking a short trip down to western kentucky to camp and watch the eclipse. 
                              Click to expand…

You know that’s right in my backyard, don’t you? Would love to say hi!

Haha, I did not know that.  I'll keep an eye out for your office!

Comment

Working...
                              X