To Disney or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post

Is everyone masking responsible in a setting where everyone is vaccinated? It’s certainly not irresponsible, but it seems superfluous more than responsible. More hygiene theater than anything else.
    Not everyone is vaccinated, breakthrough cases, people faking vaccination, etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post
      Just today got off the first Disney cruise since covid. Everyone vaccinated, all kids tested day of boarding. Everyone masking very responsibly it was great.
      I'll be the first to admit it. That sounds awful but I'm glad you had fun. Being on a cruise ship is never my idea of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

I'll be the first to admit it. That sounds awful but I'm glad you had fun. Being on a cruise ship is never my idea of fun.
        Oh it wasn't my idea lol. But was better than expected. And preferable to Disney world crowds / lines

Comment

Disney is different level cruising for the masses. When we went years ago, had no idea cruise had 800+ kids on board until the last day when they all piled onto the stage for presentation -- nothing like any other cruise experience (nor the cost either).

Cruising clearly not for everyone. We're looking to book the new Celebrity ship in April

Comment

Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post

Is everyone masking responsible in a setting where everyone is vaccinated? It’s certainly not irresponsible, but it seems superfluous more than responsible. More hygiene theater than anything else.
            My guess is that all people >12yo were vaccinated, and kids <11yo were tested day of boarding? Were there kids <11yo allowed? If so, my guess is the masking was done for the sake of the <11yo folks. Not superfluous if that was the case.

Comment

Originally posted by ObgynMD View Post

My guess is that all people >12yo were vaccinated, and kids <11yo were tested day of boarding? Were there kids <11yo allowed? If so, my guess is the masking was done for the sake of the <11yo folks. Not superfluous if that was the case.
              Carnival had 27 positives. Of that 26 were crew members. Different cruise line, but it’s not just guests on a cruise. Silver lining, only 1 passenger.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

Carnival had 27 positives. Of that 26 were crew members. Different cruise line, but it’s not just guests on a cruise. Silver lining, only 1 passenger.
                Not unexpected as crew quarters are extremely tight and sustained contact. Don't know if crew isn100% vaccinated or not.

I would be concerned if truly 100% as that would be another Provincetown level spread and needs investigation.

Comment

My first thought was that conditions were likely comparable to Provincetown in respect of prolonged physical exertions in very close indoor quarters.

Comment

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post

Not unexpected as crew quarters are extremely tight and sustained contact. Don't know if crew isn100% vaccinated or not.

I would be concerned if truly 100% as that would be another Provincetown level spread and needs investigation.
                    96.3% is pretty close to 100%. Crew and amusement park workers have their own characteristics. You type cast them on your own.

Comment

In addition to the risk of a breakthrough infection with serious illness, there is the risk of a breakthrough infection permitting one to infect others. I am not interested in infecting others.
                      Vaccines do not work for everyone. Most people have good response and can fight off the virus. Some people have weak responses and can get sick and even die of COVID in spite of vaccination.

The safe way to behave in a pandemic is avoiding contact, masking, carefully avoiding crowds and indoor gatherings. This is the way to protect yourself, your kids and others. DisneyWorld will be there in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by afan View Post
                        In addition to the risk of a breakthrough infection with serious illness, there is the risk of a breakthrough infection permitting one to infect others. I am not interested in infecting others.
                        Vaccines do not work for everyone. Most people have good response and can fight off the virus. Some people have weak responses and can get sick and even die of COVID in spite of vaccination.

The safe way to behave in a pandemic is avoiding contact, masking, carefully avoiding crowds and indoor gatherings. This is the way to protect yourself, your kids and others. DisneyWorld will be there in the future.
                        You know that's a pipedream, right? Even in the most group safety consciously involved of areas - Bay Area, tons of people out and about. They are doing it as safe as possible, but avoiding contact? Not happening -- not in America.

There's a balance to be struck and the Bay Area is leading the way in how we can be America and safe at the same time while keeping most of our civil liberties quite intact.

Comment

Originally posted by afan View Post

Do you have kids?

Comment

Was there once (without kids) and that was enough disney experience to never go again. Honestly i don't understand why fellow physicians spend money there. The entire place is designed to extract money out of you. Yet it sucks. Long lines, crazy florida heat, very low quality food. This over the top in your face “entertainment” and color scheme. Once in Orlando you are bombarded by billboards and advertising as they try to convince you that their product is worth paying for (its not).
                            Come on guys/girls, the company has a successful brand and its the idea of the brand in our mind that keeps people going and wasting money there. The actual experience is garbage. The best places for our kids have been local amusement parks in Midwest/northeast.

Comment

I'm no Disney apologist, but my daughter can't meet her favorite princess and my son can't meet his buddy Goofy at the local amusement park. The rides for them are just gravy. I mentioned I've avoided going, but it's been a pretty magical place for my kids thus far, something they talk about year round.

Comment

You can get a goofy suit much cheaper 😜

Comment

Working...
                                X