To Disney or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Disney or Not?

Have an October trip planned with spouse and 4 kids all under age 12, so not vaccinated. Would you still go with Florida blowing up with COVID? Anyone been recently to Disney World? What is the vibe? Not that this should matter, but our last two planned Disney trips were cancelled, 2017 for Hurricane and 2020 for COVID. So there is definitely a feeling of "oh boy, here we go again".

Originally posted by FunkDoc83 View Post
    Not that this should matter, but our last two planned Disney trips were cancelled, 2017 for Hurricane and 2020 for COVID. So there is definitely a feeling of "oh boy, here we go again".
    maybe the universe was trying to tell you something.

Comment

I live in Florida. Its not as bad as it seems.

This message has been brought to you by Ron Desantis, Make Florida Great Again

Comment

Florida will probably be looking better than most other places in October.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkDoc83 View Post
          Have an October trip planned with spouse and 4 kids all under age 12, so not vaccinated. Would you still go with Florida blowing up with COVID? Anyone been recently to Disney World? What is the vibe? Not that this should matter, but our last two planned Disney trips were cancelled, 2017 for Hurricane and 2020 for COVID. So there is definitely a feeling of "oh boy, here we go again".
          "Hurricane season lasts through the end of November, with its peak running from mid-August to mid-October."
          Might hit the jackpot.
          Do you feel lucky, funk?
          https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...e5&action=view

Comment

I’d go. Obviously kids can get sick, and when a kid gets critically ill it’s incredibly awful, but the odds of serious illness are still very low. Assuming no immunosuppression or lung disease or something similar, I’d be there.

Comment

Hard pass. Disney will be there next year or the year after.

Comment

My friend was there just after the 4th -- busy as busy can be. Crowded. Hot. No masks in sight.

Agreed with @cord that October will be very different than currently. I don't think FL has peaked yet as school is just about to start but Oct will probably see some lower rates than current - how much lower is of question and how would things look at that time.

Our local county modeling is anticipating a peak around Labor day and a sustained plateau into Octo and then declining mid Oct. That's pretty consistent duration and wean with prior surges but a lower peak thanks to vaccination of 70% of the population.

Your kids on year round schooling? Octo break for little ones? I would have some contingency plan in place.

Edit - all said - oct weather not bad - masking the kids would be my compromise and absolutely indoors for everyone. That's what we're doing for planned disneyland trip labor day weekend.

Comment

I mentioned this in the COVID thread, but we were hit hard with delta in late June/early July. We've plateaued with cases and hospitalizations, and not necessarily because of new vaccine uptake. They suspect a down trend to more "normal" numbers by the end of the month. By that timeline, FL should be on the downslope.

Things that change this- Orlando/Disney is full of people from other places, so who knows how that changes infection rates. New variant that is more virulent, but less deadly than delta, but the timeline putting it in the "too early to know" category.

From a logistics standpoint- Disney FL isn't going to shut down unless there is a national lockdown. Disney as a company is mandating certain people to move from CA to FL if they work for parks and resorts and don't solely support the CA location.
                  Last edited by Brains428; 08-10-2021, 07:21 PM. Reason: received more accurate info on the Disney move mandate

Comment

The hospital presented data that delta peaks in UK and India were only 45~50 days, so we are half way there. If so, things will be way better by then.

Not sure if I believe that will be the US experience. and will better be better enough? Is your whole family vaccinated?

Comment

Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post
                      Hard pass. Disney will be there next year or the year after.
                      This is astounding. You would “hard pass” on an opportunity that would thrill your children because of a vanishingly small chance of something? We’re talking about an outdoor activity and a memory making opportunity. A study said in all of England only 25 kids under 18 died of Covid. Odds are significantly higher that your kids are more likely to die from a car accident than Covid.

From the AAP website:
                      • Among states reporting, children were 0.00%-0.26% of all COVID-19 deaths, and 7 states reported zero child deaths
                      You’re vaccinated and, if your kids are well enough to go to Disney, they are probably fine to go. Sure, you could be the 1:1,000,000 that has something bad happen to you, but you could also get struck by lightning or hit by a drunk driver. Make smart decisions and understand statistics, but the statistics are overwhelmingly in your favor that this is a fine idea.

Comment

I went to Disney when I was 8, and I think it’s pretty overrated. I’d have made better memories at a National Park.

I look at this as a blessing in disguise.

Comment

Disney is going to be PACKED in October because of their special holiday events as well as their 50th anniversary the same month. Oh and the ratatouille ride in epcot opens October 1.

We made the mistake of going during the new wave in July. I would gather less than 1% of guests were wearing a mask. It seems like people were coughing at every turn.

There is a major staff shortage there so quite a bit of food places are closed.

Skip it.

Comment

Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post

This is astounding. You would “hard pass” on an opportunity that would thrill your children because of a vanishingly small chance of something? We’re talking about an outdoor activity and a memory making opportunity. A study said in all of England only 25 kids under 18 died of Covid. Odds are significantly higher that your kids are more likely to die from a car accident than Covid.

From the AAP website:
                            • Among states reporting, children were 0.00%-0.26% of all COVID-19 deaths, and 7 states reported zero child deaths
                            You’re vaccinated and, if your kids are well enough to go to Disney, they are probably fine to go. Sure, you could be the 1:1,000,000 that has something bad happen to you, but you could also get struck by lightning or hit by a drunk driver. Make smart decisions and understand statistics, but the statistics are overwhelmingly in your favor that this is a fine idea.
                            personally more concerned with long term morbidity than mortality with the kids.
                            “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

As a Disney fanatic myself, I certainly understand the desire to go. We've decided we won't take them until they are fully vaccinated, which I'm hopeful will happen by the end of the year. My youngest already had COVID in January (mild case), but it's more the hassle of COVID that has me skipping it for now.

Luckily, Disney will always be there. And as someone mentioned above, plenty of things are still closed there with short staffing, so I just don't know that it's worth it for us right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X