Wedding gift for nephew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding gift for nephew

what amount should I give my nephew for his wedding gift? I feel like with my net worth and income level, my thoughts about dollar amounts are skewed. Is $500 enough? too much? give them something else?

what part of the country, how close is your relationship, are other uncles/aunts in the picturem, are you bringing a date etc etc

Cash is an amazing gift in my area (tristate). 500 would be considered great, but if there are other aunts uncles you do not want to outdo them, unless you do.

Comment

get hints from his registry.

Comment

$500 seems like a whole lot but it’s your money and if you’ve got plenty of it the newlyweds will really enjoy it.

Comment

https://forum.whitecoatinvestor.com/...ons#post137816

Nephew is such an indefinite term in defining your relationship. Token gift (Congratualtions), $200 would suffice. Some rich uncles wish to help out the couple AND the parents. Now you are talking about funding a honeymoon etc. That is more a generous gift using the wedding as an excuse for contributing. I would not use your net worth and net income level for anything other than not being cheap. Not many give $500 cash, you can if you want.

Comment

$501

Comment

Originally posted by billy View Post
              what part of the country, how close is your relationship, are other uncles/aunts in the picture, are you bringing a date etc etc

Cash is an amazing gift in my area (tristate). 500 would be considered great, but if there are other aunts uncles you do not want to outdo them, unless you do.
              answer to your questions:
              we live in the midwest, its my wife's sister's son. she is one of the better ones of the family (ie other sister and her kids are just horrible and won't get anything from us) the other good aunts and uncles are a lot lower income and they already know we have more money than them (every year they come to our lakehouse) however, this will be the first nephew getting married so it kind of sets the precedent on what the other nieces and nephews would receive. its not really about "outdoing" everyone else, but more about we have money and would like to do a nice gift for them to help them start out their life and I remember at the age of early 20's, cash was always needed and welcome. I mentioned to my wife that we should give $500 and she was like "wow! that's really generous" as if it was a lot and almost too generous, but I never even thought like that, I just threw out a number that I thought would make a decent gift. I wanted to get a feel from others if my perception of a few hundred dollars was skewed or not

Comment

I just got married this summer, late 20's, and most gifts are in the 100-300$ range, with friends of parents (generally well-off country club neighbors, some doctors for sure) on the higher end, our own friends more ~$150 ish.
                $500 would have put you in the top 10% of value of gifts, for sure.

So if thats your goal, go for it, but if its a 'I barely know you, but we're blood related' courtesy invite, $200 on the registry or in cash/check is fine.

Comment

We paid for our daughters wedding 2 years ago, the cost for the reception alone was $110 a person. So a $250 gift would probably cover costs. but it is always nice to give a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by Random1 View Post
                    We paid for our daughters wedding 2 years ago, the cost for the reception alone was $110 a person. So a $250 gift would probably cover costs. but it is always nice to give a little more.
                    So in many ways declining the invitation is actually quite a generous gift. I’ll remember that for the future wedding invitations I receive.

Comment

$250-500. If you are attending the wedding and reception would give more.

I still remember when a med school friend got married and a med school friend and I bought a mixing bowl together. We were all 4th year med students. We were poor lol.

Comment

I don't really buy into the 'you should give based on the cost of the wedding/reception'. It isn't my fault you chose to rent chairs at $40 a piece.

Comment

Go with $250. It is an appropriate amount. Don't forget...you'll have baby gifts next...

Comment

Originally posted by DollaBill$ View Post
                            what amount should I give my nephew for his wedding gift? I feel like with my net worth and income level, my thoughts about dollar amounts are skewed. Is $500 enough? too much? give them something else?
                            $500 gift? Can I be your nephew. Wedding next summer.

Comment

250 sounds good.

Comment

Working...
                              X