No announcement yet.

New Hospital Parking Policy is Really Pissing Me Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no better way than piss off employees every day and getting them to hate their job by creating a painful parking system you describe. The worst ones is where you have to park at external lot and then catch a “quick” shuttle. Each day having 30 minutes added just to park/get to car does wonders on job satisfaction. Especially when you know hospital executives have reserved parking spaces in the garages. I would skip a job for one with a better parking situation.

Comment

If there are x number of spots for 2x people, is it really the parking administrators fault?

Comment

Originally posted by OldSoul View Post

I do ride my bike to work. Takes about 40 min on quiet residential streets. The problem is that sometimes, I need to get to work quicker than the bike allows. Motorcycle/scooter parking is free, and I've always wanted a Vespa. What do my WCI colleagues think?
        I have a Vespa and ebike ( and both are very fun and get me to work in about 5 minutes) but I usually walk to work. Haven't driven in in like 2 years, and it's free! But this parking situation you describe is ridiculous. When I was in academics, they gave us a free parking pass. I would never in a million years pay $75/week for the privilege of parking at my effing job.

Comment

Originally posted by beagler View Post
          Get some docs together and buy a vacant lot. Park. Sell when the hospital needs it at an appreciated price. Prosper.
          Just make sure it’s within 250 yards of the campus so they can still charge their absurd facility fees when they erect a new care center.

Comment

Soon , you might even be expected to get and pay for your own coffee , what is this world coming too

Comment

just to play the devil's advocate:

the idea of parking for free is very much a suburban/rural idea. i spent most of my life in a huge city where it was unthinkable in commercial areas and now even in a small metro it's not common in the city center. i pay for parking at work albeit not at the rates the OP is noting.

there are parts of the world (euro city centers) where you have to pay to even bring a car let alone park it.

cars and everything about them cost time, space, and money.

Comment

http://www.neighborhoodx.com/boston/...0price%20range.

https://www.brickunderground.com/liv...rking-spot-nyc

Good luck finding a location close to the hospital. The reaction for paying for parking is purely situational. Some pay parking at "home" and at "work". Location, location, location. This is a typical "shocker" for new residents in NYC and Boston. For perspective, put yourself in the place of a resident that needs transportation for the main hospital, clinic and residence.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post

the idea of parking for free is very much a suburban/rural idea. i spent most of my life in a huge city where it was unthinkable in commercial areas and now even in a small metro it's not common in the city center. i pay for parking at work albeit not at the rates the OP is noting.

there are parts of the world (euro city centers) where you have to pay to even bring a car let alone park it.

Certainly can understand the idea of charging for parking. As others have pointed out, in a metro area it may encourage employees to explore other options and help with limited space. However, the OP's hospital solution sounds like an over complicated mess. If they want to help out the less compensated employees there are better options than supporting parking.

I honestly find the cost to patients more problematic at many center.

Comment

I think there's a difference between paying your employer for the privilege to park so you can go to work and paying someone to park because you want to go downtown and eat/drink or go to an event.

The song Sixteen Tons chorus is about the same concept except 75 years ago:

"You load sixteen tons, what do you get?
                    Another day older and deeper in debt.
                    Saint Peter don't you call me, 'cause I can't go
                    I owe my soul to the company store."

Comment

This is ridiculous. Since you are FI I would quit or retire. When I was doing OB I had to get to the hospital rapidly often in the middle of the night. I would have driven thru the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
                        This is ridiculous. Since you are FI I would quit or retire. When I was doing OB I had to get to the hospital rapidly often in the middle of the night. I would have driven thru the gate.
                        LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

I think there's a difference between paying your employer for the privilege to park so you can go to work and paying someone to park because you want to go downtown and eat/drink or go to an event.
                          i think that depends on where your employer is located.

and, as you know, in major metros they usually don't ask you why you are parking they just charge you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
                            you would recommend that the OP quit their job over parking rules?

come on.

Comment

i think that depends on where your employer is located.

and, as you know, in major metros they usually don't ask you why you are parking they just charge you.
                              back to the OP's case: they don't ask why you are parking, but they do ask how much you make.

Comment

you would recommend that the OP quit their job over parking rules?

come on.
                                If I had to pay $4k/yr to park, I would quit! Partly because I am spoiled with free parking, partly because of the ongoing disrespect to the folks that pay the bills.

Actually...maybe I should anonymously recommend this to my hospital bureaucrats, it could be the nudge that I need before COVID ramps up again....

They've fired the travelers, they've fired the kitchen staff, they've fired the housekeepers...now that they've cut costs, they can start generating income from the remaining staff.

Comment

Working...
                                X