New Hospital Parking Policy is Really Pissing Me Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hospital Parking Policy is Really Pissing Me Off

I've been in an academic job for almost 20 years, and one of the downsides is that it's the only hospital in town where we pay for parking. I begrudgingly accepted this tax, since there were other benefits of working here (decent pension and retirement plan, like working with students/residents/fellows, etc.). However, a new parking plan is being implemented that is bat s**t crazy (no, not coronavirus-associated delirium). These are my options:

I can have a guaranteed spot in a parking structure, further away from my office, swiping in for $15/day. Or, I can choose the daily reservation system, where I have to make a computer reservation for every day I want to park near my office. And get this: The amount that is charged is based on how much I earn. That's right! We have a new wage-based parking fee, where the highest wage employees are charged $11-14/day, depending on the lot. Lowest wage employees pay $5-8.

One of the stated motivations for this new plan is to create more equity and parking access for lower wage employees. That's great, but putting it on the backs of those who generate the revenue for the hospital is causing a lot of backlash. We're FI, so I can stop working if I want. No, this parking issue, by itself, is not going to make me retire, but it's tilting the hassle-factor scales significantly.

That is the dumbest plan I’ve ever heard in my life. I can’t imagine being charged for parking by my employer, but I thought every hospital charged a monthly fee. Regardless of what the total cumulative cost is, when you are nickel and dimed to death every single day it is dramatically more painful.

The bleeding hearts in the C suite can get the lower wage employees a free bike share pass or public transit discounts if they really want to throw them a bone. Or (gasp) pay them more.

Comment

They probably paid a Chief Executive Equity Officer $250k over the last year to come up with that plan. Money well spent.

Comment

What if you drive and old car and they drive a Telsa ? Wouldn't that be car discrimination.

I guess it is more important for the nurses aid to get to the room on time , rather than you starting a surgery on time.

Comment

That would make me hand in my resignation. It’s not about the money, it’s about the hassle.

if you want to create more equity and parking access…then do so. Should be an employee benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne View Post
            That would make me hand in my resignation. It’s not about the money, it’s about the hassle.
            What if there was a $100 resignation fee?

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
              They probably paid a Chief Executive Equity Officer $250k over the last year to come up with that plan. Money well spent.
              Haha yes! My partner gets very triggered about the situation at his hospital - nobody pays to park, but there is a physicians's parking lot, or at least it was. Recently, they've changed access to allow administration to park there, so now the lot is almost always nearly full. "You're telling me that they get paid probably the same or more than I do, working only 8-5, and now I have to fight them for parking spots????"

Comment

Originally posted by nomindforfinance View Post

Haha yes! My partner gets very triggered about the situation at his hospital - nobody pays to park, but there is a physicians's parking lot, or at least it was. Recently, they've changed access to allow administration to park there, so now the lot is almost always nearly full. "You're telling me that they get paid probably the same or more than I do, working only 8-5, and now I have to fight them for parking spots????"
                That’s not nearly as bad as having to share what used to be the physicians’ lounge, now the “providers and executives lounge” in some places.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

What if there was a $100 resignation fee?
                  I would happily pay it, in nickels and dimes

Comment

Motivation to bike to work!!

But seriously I agree I would be pissed.

Comment

Progressive system; not unheard of. -- still $1 cheaper than the swipe and walk option you have, right?

Daily reservation system? That's kind of dumb if have to log in every day to do this. Do a time study on hours/days wasted and IT support costs for that overhead. Soon enough unions will negotiate time reimbursement for accessing the reservation system; and that'll be a sticking point and the whole thing will just go away along with the admin mastermind who's moved off to the next job and bragging about the awesome PIP on parking they made -- SMH

Comment

Is it a surprise that academia would apply yet another de facto communist system (likely through an overpaid and unnecessary DEI officer)?

$15/day?? To be clear that’s about $4k a year. F that. I don’t pay for directly for parking at any hospital I cover. But I have to pay an annual staff fee of X hundreds of dollars. Nothing is free - bad crackers in the doctor’s lounge, parking, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSoul View Post
                          I've been in an academic job for almost 20 years, and one of the downsides is that it's the only hospital in town where we pay for parking. I begrudgingly accepted this tax, since there were other benefits of working here (decent pension and retirement plan, like working with students/residents/fellows, etc.). However, a new parking plan is being implemented that is bat s**t crazy (no, not coronavirus-associated delirium). These are my options:

I can have a guaranteed spot in a parking structure, further away from my office, swiping in for $15/day. Or, I can choose the daily reservation system, where I have to make a computer reservation for every day I want to park near my office. And get this: The amount that is charged is based on how much I earn. That's right! We have a new wage-based parking fee, where the highest wage employees are charged $11-14/day, depending on the lot. Lowest wage employees pay $5-8.

One of the stated motivations for this new plan is to create more equity and parking access for lower wage employees. That's great, but putting it on the backs of those who generate the revenue for the hospital is causing a lot of backlash. We're FI, so I can stop working if I want. No, this parking issue, by itself, is not going to make me retire, but it's tilting the hassle-factor scales significantly.
                          I feel bad for you to be in this position.

I also feel bad for the staff that walks by my MD parking spot right in front of the employee entrance...until I realize that there was nothing stopping them from having the same perk...aside from all that hassle of becoming a doctor.

The bigger question is: where does the CEO park? (Somewhat of a joke--it's not like s/he would actually be in the hospital generating income.)

Comment

Originally posted by OldSoul View Post

Consider Two scenarios:

Scenario 1: health insurance costs $100 per pay period. However, some very low income employees (kitchen staff, housecleaning, CNA, etc) are subsidized and pay $50.

Scenario 2: health insurance premiums vary with income. About 1/2 will pay $50. Half will pay $100.

does one scenario make you more angry than the other?
                            Last edited by FIREshrink; 08-05-2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post

Consider three scenarios:

Scenario 1: health insurance costs $100 per pay period. However, some very low income employees (kitchen staff, housecleaning, CNA, etc) are subsidized and pay $50.

Scenario 2: health insurance premiums vary with income. About 1/2 will pay $50. Half will pay $100.

does one scenario make you more angry than the other?
                              Health insurance is a relatively good thing to subsidize. Parking is a pretty terrible thing to subsidize. Just takes up a bunch of space, pollutes the air, encourages poor people to spend money on boxes of metal, etc.

Get them bus passes or encourage them to walk or bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X