Cord Cutting Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

If you're into the NFL then you're screwed unless you are only interested in your local team, which may not always be broadcast either.  It's pretty well impossible to replace Sunday ticket.

Comment

Phantasos -- Glad to see your moral compass is so much better than everyone else in the universe.

I assume when you go 55mph in a 50mph zone you send the local government a check for speeding even if no one saw it?
        An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, & family
        www.RogueDadMD.com

Comment

For Sling users: How is the picture quality? Are there problems with buffering, freezing, or other service interruptions? Can you give an enthusiastic recommendation?
          Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Phantasos — Glad to see your moral compass is so much better than everyone else in the universe. I assume when you go 55mph in a 50mph zone you send the local government a check for speeding even if no one saw it?

I will readily confess that at times my actions are less than my ideals (which are unapologetically high).

As a mature adult with a somewhat public persona (since you are a blogger), I question how well thought out your response is.  Does what you advocate in this thread hold up to your values/ideals?  If so, then carry on.  If not, having someone point out that you are doing something wrong could be a great opportunity for you.  However, your desire to be better has to be stronger than your ego (this is unclear from your response).

A practical side that some might find more persuasive:  I assume most (not all, but most) physicians have higher incomes that most of their friends, family, neighbors, etc.  How do you approach someone who makes less than you and ask if you can borrow their password because you don't want to pay for a service?  My family can ask anything of me, and I would not hesitate to ask anything of them.  However, I cannot imagine abusing that relationship in such a petty manner.  How would you feel if your sibling who makes more than you asked to borrow your netflix password?  Would you be bothered by that?  I would.

Comment

For Sling users: How is the picture quality? Are there problems with buffering, freezing, or other service interruptions? Can you give an enthusiastic recommendation?

If you have a newer tv you dont need any sort of device. Also, netflix offers 4k and upconverted contented for like 2$/month extra. Any issues with buffering/freezing is more likely your router/wifi. If you get/have a good one it should be no problem. If its dual band, even better as you put the tv to the 5ghz band which is much less congested and it will run separate from phones, cpus, etc....Actually, I hard wire the TV to the router with a Cat 7 cord to minimize any such issues myself, havent had a problem in forever.

Comment

If you're an avid fan of football on both levels and looking to replicate everything, it's very hard to cut that satellite cord.

We split things out in the family. One gets Netflix, the other cable with nfl ticket and nba, another with prime.

And then there's the Kodi option. But I bet your experience with it will be frustrating. The thing I live about DirecTV in games is the pause watch and rewatch plays and games at my choosing...so type a!!!?

Comment

If you’re an avid fan of football on both levels and looking to replicate everything, it’s very hard to cut that satellite cord.

We split things out in the family. One gets Netflix, the other cable with nfl ticket and nba, another with prime.

And then there’s the Kodi option. But I bet your experience with it will be frustrating. The thing I live about DirecTV in games is the pause watch and rewatch plays and games at my choosing…so type a!!!?

I had a Direct TV dish in the late 90s and lost service in most storms. Is that your experience now?
                  Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

If you’re an avid fan of football on both levels and looking to replicate everything, it’s very hard to cut that satellite cord.

And then there’s the Kodi option. But I bet your experience with it will be frustrating. The thing I live about DirecTV in games is the pause watch and rewatch plays and games at my choosing…so type a!!!?
                    Click to expand…

I had a Direct TV dish in the late 90s and lost service in most storms. Is that your experience now?

Being in California, the n of storms is too low to generalize to where you are Im sure. Unless by storm you mean a cloud or two and outside 72 +/-3 degrees he will be of no help.

Comment

What's the cloud thing?  Something we store our Prime videos on -- how does that affect my reception

Ah, but CV was stormy at times.  We actually saw a Class 1 tornado back in 2013 -- thought I was back in Michigan. -  Only during the worst of storms did either DISH or DirecTV experience cause any issues.  Got a lot better since the 90s when it went out quite a bit.

Since down here in San Diego--- nada.....even with the Costal fog in the mornings is fine.

Comment

If you want hbo and sports, your cord cutting options aren't really cord cutting, but an Internet tv package like Hulu live or psvue. These will only save you about 300-600 bucks a year over cable. Is that really worth it? Might as well just use coupon books for groceries for the same return

Comment

If you want hbo and sports, your cord cutting options aren’t really cord cutting, but an Internet tv package like Hulu live or psvue. These will only save you about 300-600 bucks a year over cable. Is that really worth it? Might as well just use coupon books for groceries for the same return

The impetus here is terrible service from the only cable provider in the area (rather than cost cutting).

The options then appear to be:

1. No TV (no football, no GoT).

2. Another contract, this time from Direct TV (better than Dish for football).

3. Streaming service with no contract/commitment and less equipment.

I had Direct TV 20 years ago and it suffered frequent blackouts during storms. Also, I don't think a dish will work in our current yard, and I'm not crazy about a rooftop install.

I read a review of Direct TV Now (the company's streaming service) which panned it. Maybe other services (Sling?) are better. Maybe Direct TV Now is improving as bugs are worked out? Maybe there are alternatives I'm not aware of?

Do Hulu and/or psvue cover football and GoT and provide a good service?

Comment

Psvue is 45/month for fox/NBC/cbs/abc (in most markets--check this first), espn network, btn, fs1 fs2 nfl network, and most core cable channels. Main limitation for sports is inability to pause rewind live tv on some networks.

You can use it with Apple TV or other similar products. 5 day free trial if you'd like to look at it. I was very impressed, but decided to stay with xfinity mainly for pausing/ recording games---with kids it's my only option to watch a game in peace.

Comment

I called Dish to cancel and we ended up negotiating a package down to $10 a month for 6 months or so. It's now up to $11.92.

BUT... that package doesn't have all the ESPN channels nor does it have the B1G Ten network.

Like the OP, I watch very little TV, but am a diehard football fan. My solution is to go to some of the games and visit family & friends (or bars) to watch the games I'm unable to attend. In a pinch, I've also got a password or two.

Comment

Great thread. To satisfy your state needs, all you need is:

1. Sling. I've been very pleased w quality and content. Subscribe and they'll throw in a free Roku.

2. Get a Mohu leaf antenna:

https://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Paper-thin-Reversible-Performance-MH-110598/dp/B00HSMK580

Can add HBO, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc on the Roku as desired.

Comment

Working...
                                X