No announcement yet.

Medical school choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn’t 100% sure I wanted to be a doctor. My backup plans were wildly impractical and not well defined. So I decided to apply early decision to the school I thought i liked the most based on my research of med schools, which honestly was not super thorough. I figured if I was meant to be a doctor I would get in. If not I would figure out how to make a living as a traveling knitting designer or whatever. I’m glad I got in.

Comment

Forgot how many I applied to but got waitlisted at a bunch and made it off the waitlist at only one, a month before classes started. Certainly a stressful time but worked out great. In hindsight I didn't really know what I was doing and pre-med advisor sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Every parent there want their kid to be a doctor or engineer. So if the kid gets into medical school but instead chooses to do a bachelors basic undergrad degree, the people will whisper that the kid is not right mentally as otherwise he would not be making such a foolish dead end choice.

That was back then, and though it has softened a bit since then the sentiment is still there today. People take risks only if they don't get into anything worthwhile. It is like someone here who gets into Harvard or Stanford but decides to not take it up and instead goes to Univ of Mississippi or Nevada and planning to become an entrepreneur.
        Every Indian I talk to (granted they're mostly in IT) seems to suggest that the most coveted post-high school placement is in an IIT doing computer science or something similar. You're telling me medical school is considered better than that?

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

Every Indian I talk to (granted they're mostly in IT) seems to suggest that the most coveted post-high school placement is in an IIT doing computer science or something similar. You're telling me medical school is considered better than that?
          Back about 4 decades ago, there were 5 IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) and 2 premier federal medical schools ( the rest of med schools were run by the states and had corruption in admissions as well as teachers doing PP rather than teach etc and hence not highly regarded). The computer boom had not started fully and hence medical school was slightly better to get into than IIT. As the computer tech industry became lucrative, IIT's became more desirable but still if you got into those fed med colleges you did not give it up.

Unfortunately the government decided that exclusive, elite and highly desirable did not match with its agenda of admitting underqualified candidates to these institutes and hence opened IIT left and right and also opened many more federal medical colleges. The quality has gone way down but hey, who cares. the politicians get the votes from those voting blocs since they now have quotas. Now there are 16 IIT's and many more opening and 15 fed med colleges and 8 more due to open, as per Google. I am sure a year later there will be another 25% increase. Yes, there has been a significant population increase but that was not the reason for opening more and more institutions.

There were just 3 premier MBA schools called IIM back then. I got into one post med school but decided to do post med school IM residency since I wanted to remain a clinician. Now there are 20 of those IIM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Back about 4 decades ago, there were 5 IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) and 2 premier federal medical schools ( the rest of med schools were run by the states and had corruption in admissions as well as teachers doing PP rather than teach etc and hence not highly regarded). The computer boom had not started fully and hence medical school was slightly better to get into than IIT. As the computer tech industry became lucrative, IIT's became more desirable but still if you got into those fed med colleges you did not give it up.

Unfortunately the government decided that exclusive, elite and highly desirable did not match with its agenda of admitting underqualified candidates to these institutes and hence opened IIT left and right and also opened many more federal medical colleges. The quality has gone way down but hey, who cares. I got the votes from those voting blocs since they now have quotas. Now there are 16 IIT's and many more opening and 15 fed med colleges and 8 more due to open, as per Google. I am sure a year later there will be another 25% increase. Yes, there has been a significant population increase but that was not the reason for opening more and more institutions.

There were just 3 premier MBA schools called IIM back then. I got into one post med school but decided to do post med school IM residency since I wanted to remain a clinician. Now there are 20 of those IIM.
            India is massive, though. I'd imagine there are enough smart kids to fill all those schools, right? I'd also guess that India probably needs more doctors (maybe they don't... I'm just guessing), so more medical schools would be a good thing. We're doing that here too.

So if I understand you correctly, it's

IIT computer science > medical school >> IIT for anything other than computer science

Is that about right?

Comment

Applied to maybe 3 or 4 schools? Plan was always to go to my state medical school, where I was accepted. I honestly can't remember if I was accepted at the other places. This all sounds incredibly reckless looking back now, I'm lucky it worked out.

Comment

There was no internet in 1980, and if US News was ranking schools back then, I didn't know about it. I was the first person in the history of my extended family to go to college, so I was in the dark. I asked my pre-med advisor for the name of the best medical school, and that school became my top choice (but it wasn't Harvard or Johns Hopkins). I applied there, and then decided to apply to my state school as a back-up plan. I was accepted at both.
                Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Originally posted by AR View Post

India is massive, though. I'd imagine there are enough smart kids to fill all those schools, right? I'd also guess that India probably needs more doctors (maybe they don't... I'm just guessing), so more medical schools would be a good thing. We're doing that here too.

So if I understand you correctly, it's

IIT computer science > medical school >> IIT for anything other than computer science

Is that about right?
                  If you want to come to USA / Canada/ Australia yes, the CS is very valuable.
                  Within India any IIT degree would be good, especially from the original 5.
                  For med school, you need residency / fellowship equivalent or sometimes even higher to succeed.

Comment

Got accepted to 3 schools. should have gone to least expensive but was advised to go to most expensive which was ranked higher by us news and world report.
                    Life is an adventure and it turned out ok, but i would not do it that way again.

Comment

Only got into one. State school. Applied to two. Waitlisted on the other. MCAT score was just average. Was told years after I got into medical school that I only got in because an admissions board member was pulling for me (she knew a family member of mine). BUT, I ended up having the highest Step 1 score in the class. The textbooks are the same institution to institution.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post
                        Got accepted to 3 schools. should have gone to least expensive but was advised to go to most expensive which was ranked higher by us news and world report.
                        Life is an adventure and it turned out ok, but i would not do it that way again.
                        https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ls-methodology

Much of the rankings are such that reputation is translated from a qualitative scale to a quantitative scale. Taking a look under the hood is informative, Many of the factors don't necessarily lead to a great medical school education. Know what you own so to speak. Better than nothing I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                        X