Medical school choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical school choice

Did you actually have a choice in choosing your medical school? Or was your school the only one that you got into therefore you went to it?
    I only got into the one school
    39.13%
    I had choices
    58.70%
    I didn't go to medical school but want to vote
    2.17%

I applied to two and only got into one. Looking back, I didn't have the best pre-med advisors. I was more lucky than good.

Comment

My circumstances were somewhat atypical as I was applying to med school from high school as a 6/7 year BS/MD candidate. I applied to 6 programs, interviewed at four, was admitted into one and waitlisted in another (later was admitted from the waitlist). I attended the program to which I was admitted outright. It was my second choice.

I answered “one” above.

Comment

Only received one acceptance. Applied to 23 programs but withdrew from every school that was lower tier and the same price as my lone acceptance. Hoped to be accepted to one of the much cheaper in-state schools but that didn’t end up happening. Happy with how things worked out in the end. The school I attended ended up having a superb department in the specialty that I matched while one of the in state program’s departments shut down just a couple years ago. Would not have had the networking, support and research output had I attended cheaper school.

Comment

Applied to only one school after high school, more on a whim since I wanted to be an oceanographer or nuclear physicist rather than a doc. But in India if you get into medical school and do not accept it, you will be certified as having a medical illness.

So I took it. And I actually liked it and still love being a physician.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post
            But in India if you get into medical school and do not accept it, you will be certified as having a medical illness.
            Become a physician or get sent to an asylum is an interesting dichotomy.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Become a physician or get sent to an asylum is an interesting dichotomy.
              Every parent there want their kid to be a doctor or engineer. So if the kid gets into medical school but instead chooses to do a bachelors basic undergrad degree, the people will whisper that the kid is not right mentally as otherwise he would not be making such a foolish dead end choice.

That was back then, and though it has softened a bit since then the sentiment is still there today. People take risks only if they don't get into anything worthwhile. It is like someone here who gets into Harvard or Stanford but decides to not take it up and instead goes to Univ of Mississippi or Nevada and planning to become an entrepreneur.

Comment

My results are also atypical, as I did a post-bacc, which allowed me early entry into the medical school (assuming I met a minimum MCAT, which I did). To be honest, it was so nice doing it that way to minimize the stress of the normal application process. Looking back, not sure if it was the right choice, as it was definitely a very expensive school. Then again, waiting another year and applying the "normal" way would've also cost me a year of my current income. And, as my husband likes to say, we would've never met either.

Comment

I had no backup plan after undergrad if I didn’t get into med school, so I applied to pretty much every MD and DO school that my grades and MCATs seemed a fit for, and thankfully I got into a few of them, including my top choice. I have NO clue what I would have done if I didn’t get into at least one of them.

Comment

I got into one school's main campus and also its regional campus (separate interviews). Then they closed the regional campus, so...is that one school?

I note that a shocking number of us got into only one school; I thought it would be like 10%.

Comment

Originally posted by pysibal View Post
                      I got into one school's main campus and also its regional campus (separate interviews). Then they closed the regional campus, so...is that one school?

I note that a shocking number of us got into only one school; I thought it would be like 10%.
                      Medical school admissions seems like a crapshoot. I think a good number of students now are not getting in until the second year of applications.

I also remember talking to some residents I worked with as a premed. On paper, we were pretty similar and they had multiple acceptances at well known schools. I went to the Caribbean.

Comment

Like i said in the other thread, only about 50% of matriculants have a choice. That would be cool if this poll beared that out!

Comment

In TX you do one application for all the schools and then rank them. It's a match system. So I may have gotten into more than one school, I don't know as I got my first choice. It didn't cross my mind to apply anywhere outside of TX.

Comment

I applied to something like 15 and got in to three or four. Unfortunately I picked the most expensive one with the most depressing weather.

Comment

Originally posted by wideopenspaces View Post
                              In TX you do one application for all the schools and then rank them. It's a match system. So I may have gotten into more than one school, I don't know as I got my first choice. It didn't cross my mind to apply anywhere outside of TX.
                              You can be “waitlisted” at one and then be allowed to change if you ranked them higher.

Comment

Working...
                              X