X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "spent" online game

http://playspent.org/

eye opening

made it to the end of the month but got fired for talking about unionizing and had to let a coworker take the blame for my screw up.

Says it's not a secure site and has a message about Urban Ministries of Durham. How did you get into this? Or is somebody impersonating our MPMD?
    Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

i think it was created by a charity group in Durham. i didn't get any warning messages when i accessed site

Comment

Originally posted by MPMD View Post
        i think it was created by a charity group in Durham. i didn't get any warning messages when i accessed site
        I guess that means everything is fine. Click "Agree", right? Apologies in advance for sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

I guess that means everything is fine. Click "Agree", right? Apologies in advance for sarcasm.
          do you think i'm trying to post a spam link or an unsafe site?

it's an interesting exercise in not having much money, posted on a site that deals with personal finance.

i opened it from 2 devices, both behind uni firewalls, and got no warning of any kind, relax.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ftwing-origins

Origins of Monopoly.

Comment

do you think i'm trying to post a spam link or an unsafe site?

it's an interesting exercise in not having much money, posted on a site that deals with personal finance.

i opened it from 2 devices, both behind uni firewalls, and got no warning of any kind, relax.
              It's an HTTP site, not HTTPS...that's pretty basic website safety. Also you posted no context/naked link...from my perspective, this is spam in the realm of website safety.

Comment

Originally posted by East coast View Post

It's an HTTP site, not HTTPS...that's pretty basic website safety. Also you posted no context/naked link...from my perspective, this is spam in the realm of website safety.
                oh for god's sake

this is absurd.

mods can you just lock this.

Comment

Ok went through several iterations of this. Is this meant to create a worst case scenario? I feel like these situations were a bit unrealistic. What about the $1000 bonus option to work at Mickey Ds?!

Comment

Hmm, this game starts by saying I’ve lost my job. OK, that theoretically might happen.
                    It then posits that my savings are gone, I’ve lost my house, and I’m down to my last $1,000.
                    How exactly was that supposed to happen? I also apparently don’t have marketable skills and ambition to get any other job before losing my savings and my house. Apparently every family member and friend I’ve ever met accurately realizes just how much of a lout and jerk I am, since none of them will let me couch surf for the next month.

Yeah, I’m just not buying it. If the people who’ve known you your entire life aren’t willing to help you out, you might not be the kind of hardworking, honest, kind person that Joe or Jane Citizen should have to bail out.

There are three jobs available. (Are there ever only three jobs available?) Why does this game only let me take one of them?

Rent and travel costs range from $855 to $760. Why not get a roommate and cut those costs roughly in half? Also, I have a child but not spouse. Apparently I couldn’t afford condoms, Norplant, or the pill. Or I lost my spouse as well as my job, and am a loser who cannot find another job or another significant other. I’m going to assume that it takes two to tango and this child has another parent. (Otherwise the kid would be named “Bud”.). Any child support coming in since I’m the custodial parent?

I can sell my household goods that don’t fit in my tiny apartment. However, apparently I have a pet (that I lied to my landlord about). Solutions to the pet situation include asking a friend to take the pet or taking it to a shelter. No option to sell the pet for much needed money. No option to not get a pet in the first place if I’m not responsible enough to hold onto a job, hold onto a significant other, and take care of my self and my kid. No option to not lie to my landlord and violate a no pets policy.

I next get a call from a collections agency that I owe money for my car (that apparently I bought on credit). But I chose to be zero miles from work. Why on earth do I need a car if I live literally next door to work? Why is there no option to sell the car to get several thousand dollars?!

This game is terribly stupid. The person described in this game did not make just one bad choice. This isn’t a little tiny bit of totally unforeseeable bad luck. Bring in the path of Genghis Khan’s hordes is unavoidable bad luck. Being a legal resident of the United States in the present day who is able to work means that you have won life’s lottery, both over the globe today and over the course of human history. Just stop making stupid choices.

Comment

Any reason I can’t enlist in the military? That would offer higher income, health care with no out of pocket costs, and dependent rate housing allowance. Is it my lengthy criminal history, drug addiction, severe physical or mental impairment, or the fact that I’m a flag burning hippie who would rather be in the poor house than serve honorably for four years and get the GI Bill?

Again, this game is tremendously dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank View Post
                        Hmm, this game starts by saying I’ve lost my job. OK, that theoretically might happen.
                        It then posits that my savings are gone, I’ve lost my house, and I’m down to my last $1,000.
                        How exactly was that supposed to happen? I also apparently don’t have marketable skills and ambition to get any other job before losing my savings and my house. Apparently every family member and friend I’ve ever met accurately realizes just how much of a lout and jerk I am, since none of them will let me couch surf for the next month.

Yeah, I’m just not buying it. If the people who’ve known you your entire life aren’t willing to help you out, you might not be the kind of hardworking, honest, kind person that Joe or Jane Citizen should have to bail out.

There are three jobs available. (Are there ever only three jobs available?) Why does this game only let me take one of them?

Rent and travel costs range from $855 to $760. Why not get a roommate and cut those costs roughly in half? Also, I have a child but not spouse. Apparently I couldn’t afford condoms, Norplant, or the pill. Or I lost my spouse as well as my job, and am a loser who cannot find another job or another significant other. I’m going to assume that it takes two to tango and this child has another parent. (Otherwise the kid would be named “Bud”.). Any child support coming in since I’m the custodial parent?

I can sell my household goods that don’t fit in my tiny apartment. However, apparently I have a pet (that I lied to my landlord about). Solutions to the pet situation include asking a friend to take the pet or taking it to a shelter. No option to sell the pet for much needed money. No option to not get a pet in the first place if I’m not responsible enough to hold onto a job, hold onto a significant other, and take care of my self and my kid. No option to not lie to my landlord and violate a no pets policy.

I next get a call from a collections agency that I owe money for my car (that apparently I bought on credit). But I chose to be zero miles from work. Why on earth do I need a car if I live literally next door to work? Why is there no option to sell the car to get several thousand dollars?!

This game is terribly stupid. The person described in this game did not make just one bad choice. This isn’t a little tiny bit of totally unforeseeable bad luck. Bring in the path of Genghis Khan’s hordes is unavoidable bad luck. Being a legal resident of the United States in the present day who is able to work means that you have won life’s lottery, both over the globe today and over the course of human history. Just stop making stupid choices.
                        Genghis..........I want to name my next cat or dog Genghis. That dude.....yikes.

Yes, being in the path of Genghis with his compound bows.......yeah that would be unavoidable bad luck of the worst kind.

I did not click the link.

Yes, everyone in this country won the lottery. You can screw it up over and over and over and still get your stuff together and win. Sure, luck counts but this place is pretty solid in terms of opportunity. Even for the "oppressed".

Genghis.......great name for a cat.......especially a ruthless one that eats chipmunks and the occasional yard bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post

Genghis..........I want to name my next cat or dog Genghis. That dude.....yikes.

Yes, being in the path of Genghis with his compound bows.......yeah that would be unavoidable bad luck of the worst kind.

I did not click the link.

Yes, everyone in this country won the lottery. You can screw it up over and over and over and still get your stuff together and win. Sure, luck counts but this place is pretty solid in terms of opportunity. Even for the "oppressed".

Genghis.......great name for a cat.......especially a ruthless one that eats chipmunks and the occasional yard bird.
                          Growing up I had an awesome cat that would have fit the name but he was named Oscar. Oh well.

Comment

oh for god's sake

this is absurd.

mods can you just lock this.
                            I think the way you posted it was just confusing since there was very little context. It crossed my mind that maybe you actually got fired from work IRL for playing an online game.

Currently on a work VPN and it's reading as an unsecure site so I'll have to wait a bit to see what it's all about once work is done for the day.

Comment

Sorry for the poor reception, MPMD. Locking this thread, going nowhere.
                              Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
                              X