No announcement yet.

Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, what did you guys think about biles pulling out after vault? On the one hand, I can’t imagine the pressure she’s under but I also can’t imagine Michael Jordan or Tom Brady walking off during the championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorbone View Post
      BTW, what did you guys think about biles pulling out after vault? On the one hand, I can’t imagine the pressure she’s under but I also can’t imagine Michael Jordan or Tom Brady walking off during the championship game.
      I have mixed feelings. I’m glad she was able to recognize it but I also question how come she didn’t recognize it before the event. Horrible, horrible timing. It doesn’t help that she proclaims herself the GOAT and wears GOAT clothing, etc. It’ll be an awful look if she competes in the individual events.

Comment

I got a little teary eyed as the Filipino woman weightlifter won the country’s first ever gold medal. Same with Austrian woman cyclist who also has a PhD in math. I love watching the underdogs win at the Olympic.
        I loved watching Flora Duffy win the gold in triathlon for Bermuda.

Comment

Last week I was reading about how dangerous her new moves are and how they weren't sure if they'd let her do them at all and certainly not early in the competition so it may have been a legit fear of permanent injury if she's mentally missing. Kind of prefer that outcome to the Kerri Strug ankle smash 'for the team'.

Comment

I mean, she's so much better at gymnastics than anyone that's come before her that I think it's insulting to compare her to those 2 ;-) I'm disappointed to not see her perform because she's simply amazing. But I'm glad to see her taking care of herself. Given the abuse she suffered at the hands of nasser and usa gymnastics, I'm glad she's in a place where she feels able to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

I have mixed feelings. I’m glad she was able to recognize it but I also question how come she didn’t recognize it before the event. Horrible, horrible timing. It doesn’t help that she proclaims herself the GOAT and wears GOAT clothing, etc. It’ll be an awful look if she competes in the individual events.
              In watching the vault, the miss she had “getting lost” is dangerous. Supposedly warmups we’re fine but coming out she knew she wasn’t right but tried anyway. Can’t perform at that degree of difficulty with a mental block. Timing was terrible, but recognizing it probably saved a team medal.

Seems more like the mental issues seen in golf (yips) and baseball (can’t come close to throwing on target). I don’t think this was a selfish choice. IF she conquers this in such short time, I would be amazed. It’s not typical nerves. Think her explanation was accurate, the mind isn’t right. I don’t have mixed feelings. I watched her pack her bag and then stay on the floor. Unfortunate injury is my take. Class act.

Update:
              She is out of the individual competitions.
              Sounds like she was previously capable of mentally driving at redline a finely tuned race car faster than anyone else. Maturity? Disruption of the preparation? Her lack of her pit crew? Seems like a voice in her head whispered, “Too fast, you can kill yourself.” She has future plans geared for LAST YEAR. Pushing the redline another year didn’t work.
              Does not change the past. Risk tolerance changed.

Last edited by Tim; 07-28-2021, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

In watching the vault, the miss she had “getting lost” is dangerous. Supposedly warmups we’re fine but coming out she knew she wasn’t right but tried anyway. Can’t perform at that degree of difficulty with a mental block. Timing was terrible, but recognizing it probably saved a team medal.

Seems more like the mental issues seen in golf (yips) and baseball (can’t come close to throwing on target). I don’t think this was a selfish choice. IF she conquers this in such short time, I would be amazed. It’s not typical nerves. Think her explanation was accurate, the mind isn’t right. I don’t have mixed feelings. I watched her pack her bag and then stay on the floor. Unfortunate injury is my take. Class act.
                This. There's even an equivalent term for it, the "twisties." Except unlike baseball and golf, the consequences of her internal position sense being off are potentially a lot higher. And unfortunately the equipment needed to safely work though this isn't available at the Olympic practice gyms, so who knows if she can get back to competition. Would be a sad way for her career to end.

Comment

Originally posted by wideopenspaces View Post

I mean, she's so much better at gymnastics than anyone that's come before her that I think it's insulting to compare her to those 2 ;-) I'm disappointed to not see her perform because she's simply amazing. But I'm glad to see her taking care of herself. Given the abuse she suffered at the hands of nasser and usa gymnastics, I'm glad she's in a place where she feels able to do that.
                  Not to mention the pressure put on her by USAG currently. In picking the team they basically said we have Biles so it doesn't matter who else we take, which led to additional controversy.

Comment

Originally posted by MNBadger View Post

Not to mention the pressure put on her by USAG currently. In picking the team they basically said we have Biles so it doesn't matter who else we take, which led to additional controversy.
                    Biles has no lost love for USGA. She has love for the sport. She has a phenomenal training/school facility that seems to be a money maker. We will see.
                    Last edited by Tim; 07-28-2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I don't follow gymnastics at all, so the first time I saw her perform this year was at the very beginning of the Olympics. It was clear even to untrained eye that the moves she was doing are genuinely dangerous. We've all seen people come into the hospital for serious injuries after things that are a lot tamer. If her understanding of her body isn't perfect, the results could be catastrophic. I'm glad she made the right decision for herself.

I love watching the Olympics, even though I understand and agree with all of the economic/corruption issues, because I love watching people at the top level show off the upper limits of what the human body can do. We really are amazing, as a species. But I think we as laypeople often don't fully understand the fact that many of the athletes are doing stuff that could result in some serious damage or even death if something goes wrong. Yesterday I watched a mountain biker take a spill that could have resulted in anything from a broken arm to a c-spine fracture if she had landed wrong. I'm never going to fault an athlete for deciding that something is too dangerous. Competing is one thing, your life is another.

Comment

Originally posted by Sigrid View Post
                        I'm never going to fault an athlete for deciding that something is too dangerous. Competing is one thing, your life is another.
                        I especially can't fault her given the enormous pressure to continue (both self-imposed and from fans/USGA) she would have been battling against. You don't become an elite-level athlete by being a quitter. Biles obviously sensed something was seriously off, and made the tough but correct decision to withdraw. Even if this turns out to be the end of her competition days, it's a far better end that being paralyzed or killed on worldwide TV would have been.
                        Last edited by artemis; 07-28-2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nephron View Post
                          I would be upset if the US "won" the rights to host the olympics and it was close to my town. With the added traffic combined with the requirements for stadium buildings that will never be used again, I think that the people that bid for the rights of hosting the olympics are not looking out for local interest. It is almost always a money losing event when all the costs are totaled up.
                          Don't bid then. We'll take it. Hosting the Olympics is AWESOME! Yes, there's some financial risk. But it's a pretty cool thing. I was an MS3 (rotating on Peds the first half and on break for the second half) during the SLC Winter Games. We let my dad sleep on the couch and in exchange he paid for us to see 7 events with him. We'd go downtown and see the free concerts every night too. We couldn't afford to go to the opening ceremonies, but we could see the fireworks go off all around the entire valley. Money well spent I say. The legacy around here has been incredible. I played college hockey in a venue built for the Olympics. I still play weekly in a venue built for the Olympics that is used every single day. The improvements at the ski resorts all get used all Winter long. Most Winter olympic athletes from the US and many others from other countries train in Salt Lake because we built nice facilities and we keep them up. Where are you going to go train to be a luge rider or a bobsledder or a ski jumper? If the US didn't have those facilities, our folks would have to go to Switzerland or something to live and train. We took 34 medals in 2002 (previous record was 13) and have continued to do great in years since. All because we invested for the long-term in Salt Lake City.

You can go spend the day at the Utah Olympic park (https://utaholympiclegacy.org/produc...gold-day-pass/) pay $75 and ride ziplines and luge sleds and slide down the landing zones for the ski jumps and jump into the practice pool and so on. It sells out most days all summer long. It's been 20 years and the facilities are all still in great shape and ready to be used for another Olympics.

If a city builds smart, stays in budget, and has a plan to use the facilities afterward, hosting can not only not be terrible, but it can actually be profitable. The Olympics led to $2.1 billion in spending here ($76 million in profit).

https://gardner.utah.edu/_documents/...con-impact.pdf
                          Last edited by The White Coat Investor; 07-29-2021, 05:48 PM.
                          Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Originally posted by The White Coat Investor View Post

If a city builds smart, stays in budget, and has a plan to use the facilities afterward, hosting can not only not be terrible, but it can actually be profitable. The Olympics led to $2.1 billion in spending here ($76 million in profit).
                            Summer Olympic facilities don't translate well into post Olympic use in the majority of the cities. Maybe the swimming pool can be used if properly maintained but the main stadium and tracks and the living area in Olympic just crumble as years pass.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...pment-scrapped

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...bbb623c08b8095

The second link talks about Sydney avoiding the disaster but it spoke a year too soon. Even the Beijing swimming pool area is left to rot.

Comment

“ It sells out most days all summer long. It's been 20 years and the facilities are all still in great shape and ready to be used for another Olympics.”

Just happened to notice the Winter Olympics facilities seem to be used for summer public games. Now, would the same work for Summer Olympics facilities, booked up all winter? I am very glad SLC was able to cross purpose facilities and fill a void of summer activities.

Not every location is able to do that, Take it as a compliment, that is the intent. I doubt the benefits of a second Olympics (winter or summer) will give the same results. Maybe it will.

Comment

I think the olympics definitely put Seoul and Atlanta on the world map. Before the Olympics, not many people knew about those cities.

I’m not sure how much it cost those cities to host but I don’t think the recent price tag of hosting an Olympic is financially beneficial to a city.

Comment

Working...
                                X