Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympics

Why are opening ceremonies so weird?

Also, is there a bigger waste of money? I love the Olympics but always root for the US to never host.

I am pretty apathetic about the Olympics but I think the recent US games (Los Angeles, Atlanta) are two of the exceptions that were commercially successful (obviously Atlanta was a disaster for totally unrelated reasons). SLC in 2002 also went very well and probably contributed to an economic boom in the region the last twenty years.

I think more cities though are catching on to what happened in Rio and Athens, and at some point I wouldn’t be surprised if they can’t even find a host. Tokyo 2021 probably isn’t going to get a lot of cities to line up to host next time either. It seems like the deals are pretty one sided in favor of the IOC.
    “Work” is a four letter word for good reason.

Comment

Yes, there is a reason they have announced future hosts earlier and earlier. Essentially there has been zero (realistic) bids for now a 12 yr stretch from multiple cities...Paris/LA we're the only ones for the next two and the Brisbane I'm pretty sure is the only one, hence the award earlier this week.

Winter is even worse - they really only serve the needs of a Russia/Chinas of the world at this point.

As a huge sports fan (as well as an ardent capitalist) I get mad at public funds donated to wealthy sports franchise owners but the Olympics make that stuff look like child's play.

Comment

The fact that there is a 13 hour or more time difference doesn’t help. Results are tweeted or posted immediately on the Internet and we didn’t even get to the day when the event is occurring.
        It seems to no longer makes sense to build up all the facilities for all the sports in a single city. They should just do what euro soccer match does. With matches across various countries. Just do different events in different countries. No need to build up new facilities for example for sailing, or swimming, etc.

Comment

Summer Olympics has no interest for me. The winter Olympics are a nice diversion during the long dark hours.

Comment

I liked the Olympics more when it was about the competition. But that was a long time ago. Grandma explained that there was a time and place for everything. I guess that was a fairy tale.

Comment

I enjoy both Summer and Winter Olympic sports, but do believe there would still be plenty of opportunity for most of the sports without them. There are yearly World Championships as it is.

cd :O)
              Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary. -- Isaiah 40:31

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                I liked the Olympics more when it was about the competition. But that was a long time ago..
                Same here. When I was a kid I loved watching the Olympics, but that was back when ABC was covering it and they actually showed events the US wasn't all-but-guaranteed to win. They even showed medal ceremonies for non-American winners.

Unfortunately those days are long gone, and as a result I just don't enjoy watching the Games any more. And these Games, with their empty seats, are even more depressing on TV than usual.
                Last edited by artemis; 07-25-2021, 06:15 AM.

Comment

i only watch some of it because i know some of the competitors. Two girls that live on my street. I'll probably fall asleep by then with the time change though....

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
                    I am pretty apathetic about the Olympics but I think the recent US games (Los Angeles, Atlanta) are two of the exceptions that were commercially successful (obviously Atlanta was a disaster for totally unrelated reasons). SLC in 2002 also went very well and probably contributed to an economic boom in the region the last twenty years.

I think more cities though are catching on to what happened in Rio and Athens, and at some point I wouldn’t be surprised if they can’t even find a host. Tokyo 2021 probably isn’t going to get a lot of cities to line up to host next time either. It seems like the deals are pretty one sided in favor of the IOC.
                    What happened in rio and Athens (I don’t pay much attention to the olympics obviously).

Comment

Originally posted by VentAlarm View Post

What happened in rio and Athens (I don’t pay much attention to the olympics obviously).
                      I didn’t watch really but I’ve just read that they were a financial disaster for the host cities. I think it was a factor in the Greece debt crisis. These are poor countries without much existing infrastructure and they build big facilities that turn into white elephants. The big American cities have a lot of that already in place, especially LA.
                      “Work” is a four letter word for good reason.

Comment

I feel like when I was a kid, the Olympics were must see TV. There was broad coverage, nobody knew the results, it was a destination for the day.

Now, not so much. I'm not saying it is good or bad, just different.

I think it would be cool to host. I know that it costs a lot, but SLC sure seemed to do it right. I think I'd get more out of it than subsidizing our pro football team.

Comment

Wow. no one going to say anything nice? Really?

Ok, I will be the first!

My wife was born in Tokyo and her mom lived there most of her life.

Her mom (81) now lives with me and was crying during the opening ceremony. She was so excited for Japan!

I was working on some stuff and did not watch it but it was making them happy.

They like it every 4 years but were really excited to see it in Japan. Anyway, just be glad we are having it with Covid.

Two weeks from preseason NFL.

40 something days until College football.

Vaccine here (everyone get it please) so we can have sports and a normal life!

Hope Japan does ok financially. They are pretty good folks in this country boy's opinion. I grew up in Alabama, but somehow married a women born in Tokyo, go figure!

These games are a dream for all those athletes! Hope they all do their best!

Comment

Originally posted by Tangler View Post

Hope Japan does ok financially.
                            I don't see how there is any possibility they make money. There's no fans and the IOC is probably worse than the mob taking their cut.

Comment

I would be upset if the US "won" the rights to host the olympics and it was close to my town. With the added traffic combined with the requirements for stadium buildings that will never be used again, I think that the people that bid for the rights of hosting the olympics are not looking out for local interest. It is almost always a money losing event when all the costs are totaled up. That's what I thought pre-covid, in the setting of covid, it seems like an un-mitigated disaster. I don't understand why it was so hard for them to test, then quarantine all the athletes for a month pre-olympics and throughout the Olympics. It seems to me that if you've trained your whole life for the opportunity to compete 1-2 times in your lifetime, a few months of isolation to avoid testing positive would not be that much of a sacrifice. They should have had a zero tolerance policy to exclude athletes who were unwilling to make the sacrifice as to not ruin it for the rest of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X