This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The unvaccinated

My wife and I have three daughters under age 4. We have a nanny. For a couple months She’s been coming by to help my wife with the the girls a couple days a week, just to give her a break from the insanity. It’s come to our knowledge that she has not and does not intend to get the vaccine. Would you guys let an unvaccinated 25 year old spend any significant amount of time in your home with your children? Do I have any liability if we let her go?

I don’t have kids but I would not keep an unvaccinated nanny. Do you have a contract with her? I would probably say you guys just don’t need her services anymore.

Comment

NO!

Comment

Originally posted by Anne View Post
        I don’t have kids but I would not keep an unvaccinated nanny. Do you have a contract with her? I would probably say you guys just don’t need her services anymore.
        No contract. We actually pay her in cash.

We sent her this.

Karlee, while it is certainly your decision not to vaccinated for COVID-19, we unfortunately cannot allow you to continue being a nanny for our girls in our home. This is not a decision we came to lightly.

As you know I am a pulmonary and critical care physician, if you are open to having a discussion with me about the vaccine, I’d like to address your concerns about the vaccine and make sure you are making your decision based on a solid foundation of knowledge.

We would very much like for you to get the vaccine and continue caring for our girls.

She responded with

I’m sorry to see our relationship end like this because of my personal beliefs and my personal decision to not get the COVID-19 vaccination. Since you feel so strongly about me not being around the children unvaccinated, I will consider my termination effectively immediately.

We were going to let her finish out July.

Comment

Problem solved. Other than the part about not having a nanny for the time being. Going forward the question in this situation would be, how do you screen for someone who is vaccinated? Unlike a health system, a person hiring a nanny can’t ask that, right?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower View Post
            Problem solved. Other than the part about not having a nanny for the time being. Going forward the question in this situation would be, how do you screen for someone who is vaccinated? Unlike a health system, a person hiring a nanny can’t ask that, right?
            Well that’s a question I have. Can I? I fully intend to.

Comment

100% you can put out an ad saying vaccination required, you dont have to ask. Should be able to search or have sites offer the info.

Comment

Pretty funny a pulm/CC physician got grief from a nanny about Covid. I probably wouldn't have been so diplomatic and nice.

Comment

Originally posted by RJB View Post

No contract. We actually pay her in cash.

We sent her this.

Karlee, while it is certainly your decision not to vaccinated for COVID-19, we unfortunately cannot allow you to continue being a nanny for our girls in our home. This is not a decision we came to lightly.

As you know I am a pulmonary and critical care physician, if you are open to having a discussion with me about the vaccine, I’d like to address your concerns about the vaccine and make sure you are making your decision based on a solid foundation of knowledge.

We would very much like for you to get the vaccine and continue caring for our girls.

She responded with

I’m sorry to see our relationship end like this because of my personal beliefs and my personal decision to not get the COVID-19 vaccination. Since you feel so strongly about me not being around the children unvaccinated, I will consider my termination effectively immediately.

We were going to let her finish out July.

Why were you going to let her finish out July if she was a danger to your kids?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Ragman View Post

Why were you going to let her finish out July if she was a danger to your kids?
                    An attempt not to be a complete a-hole. My wife has some doctors appointments she’s now going to have to reschedule. I suppose a calculated risk. Risk is proportional to time of exposure. A little bit more time probably wasn’t going to be the end of the world.
                    Last edited by Hank; 07-18-2021, 04:49 AM. Reason: Profanity bowdlerized. Please keep it clean.

Comment

There is no one in my orbit who is unvaccinated. I plan to keep it that way.

Comment

It should be a normal question that people should answer normally without offense or rudeness on either side. Respect everyone's choice, and understand the consequences that result. No one needs lectures at this point.
                        You should not feel any guilt over this. If she thinks you are rude, that's a Karlee issue.

Comment

Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post
                          There is no one in my orbit who is unvaccinated. I plan to keep it that way.
                          Same. One unvaxxed friend complains I'd go to dinner with my wife but wont go meet him at a bar or his tiny studio apt bc he thinks its the same risk level. He also refuses to wear a mask unless it's enforced (train/bus). Esp considering my wife's health, I have told all mutual friends - vaccinate if you want to hang out with us. Or wear a mask continuously outdoors. Otherwise we will not meet.

Comment

Easy answer, heck no.

Lol at personal decision/personal beliefs, huh? When did the riff-raff become arbiters of medical knowledge?

Comment

Originally posted by tylerjw12 View Post
                              It should be a normal question that people should answer normally without offense or rudeness on either side. Respect everyone's choice, and understand the consequences that result. No one needs lectures at this point.
                              You should not feel any guilt over this. If she thinks you are rude, that's a Karlee issue.
                              I dont necessarily disagree with you. But I’ve had some people come into my office with some pretty off the wall “reasons” for not getting vaccinated. I know for a fact I’ve changed some people’s mind by addressing their concerns and explaining the science and risk. A couple people have even thanked me for listening to them and educating them. I really wanted an opportunity to convince. Not just because she’s great with our girls, but because she should get the vaccine.

Comment

Working...
                              X