Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McMansion

How do you define McMansion?
    I was just reading a forum post and it said if you buy bmw and McMansion , u r done

In California. Probably a 2 million dollar is not McMansion .

Does it still boil down to 2x mortgage ?

Certainly a very subjective pejorative. I think of the term as describing a home that is cheaply made or mass produced while being large and having ostentatious appearance. To me it generally suggests poor architecture design; either a mass produced subdivision of huge houses or lack proportion / flow (as though someone made a list of things a mansion should have and tossed them together without thought).

IMO price does not define or exclude. Having said that buy the house that is right for you.

Comment

Mansion = large, expensive house

McMansion = a type of mansion that is architecturally very generic and is normally surrounded by other very similar mansions

Comment

How many sq feet do people think defines a mansion?

Comment

More relevant is:
          1. cost
          2. cost relative to your net worth and stable income
          3. Is it the “right” time to pull trigger

Item 3 depends on life stage. stability of job. time at job. stable marriage. what spouse wants.

Time tested $ winners:
          1. one house one spouse rule
          2. initially rent (make sure job stable)
          3. buy the least expensive house you “require “ while still ensuring spouse happy, and it fits your “needs.”
          4. live in home > 5 years before changing homes (moving sucks and not just financially)

Comment

Entertaining blog: https://mcmansionhell.com/

Would not define "McMansion" by cost (although they are usually expensive). Plenty of expensive or luxury houses are not McMansions.

General requirements IMO: large house (at least 4000 sq ft) in a car dependent suburb, in a planned development next to other similar appearing houses. Layout and style of home feels "showy" as opposed to functional and livable. Architecturally disinteresting or a mismatch of styles.

Comment

Originally posted by dayman View Post
              Entertaining blog: https://mcmansionhell.com/

Would not define "McMansion" by cost (although they are usually expensive). Plenty of expensive or luxury houses are not McMansions.

General requirements IMO: large house (at least 4000 sq ft) in a car dependent suburb, in a planned development next to other similar appearing houses. Layout and style of home feels "showy" as opposed to functional and livable. Architecturally disinteresting or a mismatch of styles.
              Hahaha love that blog! And exactly what I was going to link to. Although I have to say I am totally loving those 70s homes . . .

Comment

My own definition is a large home that if any wrench is thrown into the homeowners budget, they become house poor. Basically the Mc is "mistake mansion". If they clearly can afford it no matter what financial hurdle is thrown their way, then it is just a mansion. Mansion in the dictionary means large imposing dwelling and some realtor associations historically used 8000 sq ft but some use 5000.

Comment

Originally posted by bean1970 View Post
                  My own definition is a large home that if any wrench is thrown into the homeowners budget, they become house poor. Basically the Mc is "mistake mansion". If they clearly can afford it no matter what financial hurdle is thrown their way, then it is just a mansion. Mansion in the dictionary means large imposing dwelling and some realtor associations historically used 8000 sq ft but some use 5000.
                  I may be totally off here but I believe the mc is a play on McDonald's. Cheap and fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post
                    How many sq feet do people think defines a mansion?
                    I think there's a true definition actually, at least among the realtor community. I believe it's anything more than 5000 sqft

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I may be totally off here but I believe the mc is a play on McDonald's. Cheap and fast.
                      and tasty! Terrible for you!

Comment

I don't think it depends much on cost or square footage on its own.

The defining factor is cheap look and construction aiming to get as large a size as they can for the money spent. Usually ends up with >4500 sq foot house with cheapness oozing out of its walls.

I think the architecture part of it is sometimes overblown. I see many houses that have gables here, there and everywhere to make it look cool and tasteful when all i could see was unnecessary use of those gables that serve no purpose and take away from the layout of the room behind it.

Comment

Working...
                        X