Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The behind the scenes of how Hahnemann University Hospital failed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bdoc
    replied
    i posted about this when it first happened, does anyone know what happened to their 457b? Ive always been curious

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    https://forum.whitecoatinvestor.com/...-550-residents

There is value in those residency slots, not necessarily in the residents.

AMA brokered a deal for tail coverage. A couple of posts previously.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Originally posted by Dontgetthejab View Post

According to social media, a lot of residents were left to fend for themselves.
    I think you're right. I feel like I remember this being posted on SDN about their EM program (I'm almost positive it was this program). I think they all found different programs because I think many programs are approved for more residents than they actually have. Nonetheless, what a nightmare for the residents.

Disclosure: There's a lot of 'I thinks' in those few sentences so I reserve the right to pretend like I didn't say any of the above if it was a different program.

Leave a comment:

• Dontgetthejab
    replied
    Originally posted by CrockettsRiver View Post
    Read the article and thought it was really interesting. Written for a general audience, though, and didn't really get into the weeds about how a large community hospital like that works or doesn't (and those are some pretty deep weeds).

Also didn't address what happened to the residents, who were probably in a harder spot than anyone except the patients - imagine being in your last year of residency and your program closes without notice, and everyone around you is in the same boat. I have heard that a few of those residents were able to transfer into other programs without losing any time, but I imagine many of them struggled to find any spot at all.
    According to social media, a lot of residents were left to fend for themselves.

Leave a comment:

• CrockettsRiver
    replied
    Read the article and thought it was really interesting. Written for a general audience, though, and didn't really get into the weeds about how a large community hospital like that works or doesn't (and those are some pretty deep weeds).

Also didn't address what happened to the residents, who were probably in a harder spot than anyone except the patients - imagine being in your last year of residency and your program closes without notice, and everyone around you is in the same boat. I have heard that a few of those residents were able to transfer into other programs without losing any time, but I imagine many of them struggled to find any spot at all.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Tough story all around. In the end, hospitals need money to operate. Whether that's reimbursement from a private or government insurer or government subsidies, you can't stay in business if you can't/won't pay your vendors. Freedman is probably a pretty slick talker but when you get the 1000 foot view, it's clear there was only one way this was going to end.

Leave a comment:

• xraygoggles
    replied
    Private equity has been buying private practices left and right, and, while the partners usually get a lump sump buyout, the rest of the staff and physicians get the shaft.

So not really surprised it happens to a large hospital as well...

Leave a comment:

• The behind the scenes of how Hahnemann University Hospital failed.

Good read. Very sad for the patients, physicians, and staff.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...emann-hospital
Working...
X