Olympics 2021!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympics 2021!

Leaving out the right/wrong of it with a pandemic going on, is anyone else as excited for the Olympics as I am?!

Trials have started for the US (and around the world), and I can't wait. Any favorite events? I just LOVE the Olympics, especially the summer Olympics. I really hope they happen, although I can understand why they may not. My guess is there is too much money at stake now for them to cancel.

I’m not a big Olympic person but I wonder how it’s really possible to follow it and watch it when it’s in one of these Pacific Rim countries. Are they still showing events on tape delay? If so, are you just completely tuning out all sports and news sites so you don’t know who wins in advance?

Edit - can’t imagine it will be cancelled. I am interested to see how it will be covered, how many athletes will protest, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
      Edit - can’t imagine it will be cancelled. I am interested to see how it will be covered, how many athletes will protest, etc.
      I doubt many athletes will protest the actual Olympics because most had to purposefully qualify to get there and many work their entire lives to get to this stage. The Olympics are such a big money maker for the networks that show coverage that those networks won't say anything but I'm sure some of the other networks will say how it's bad form. Just another day.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

I doubt many athletes will protest the actual Olympics because most had to purposefully qualify to get there and many work their entire lives to get to this stage. The Olympics are such a big money maker for the networks that show coverage that those networks won't say anything but I'm sure some of the other networks will say how it's bad form. Just another day.
        I meant political protests. Makes no sense for athletes to protest the Olympics but show up anyway.

Comment

I’m not a big Olympic person but I wonder how it’s really possible to follow it and watch it when it’s in one of these Pacific Rim countries. Are they still showing events on tape delay? If so, are you just completely tuning out all sports and news sites so you don’t know who wins in advance?
          I'm the completely tune out kind of person, which can be hard at times. Definitely has been harder when on the other side of the planet.

Comment

Olympics are great.

Going to hijack the thread a bit. Favorite Olympics memory?

Gotta say mine is probably the Dan Jansen race where he broke the world record after all those falls, losing his sister, etc.

Comment

Even though you already hear who wins swimming or gymnastics events, it's still entertaining to watch on tape delayed prime time.

Comment

Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post
                Olympics are great.

Gotta say mine is probably the Dan Jansen race where he broke the world record after all those falls, losing his sister, etc.
                I still remember vividly rewatching the VHS that I had recorded of Kerri Strug hitting her last vault on a broken foot/ankle to win the team gold in 1996.

Also, the men's comeback 4x100m relay swim in 2008 with Phelps swimming a ridiculous anchor to win the gold was pretty fun to watch too!

I'm a huge hockey fan, but sadly wasn't alive to watch the Miracle on ice win vs Russia. I've watched plenty of replays though.

Comment

Olympics are great.

I have many great memories but I think the best has to be the American Dream Team beating Russia in hockey. I just looked it up and it was in 1980, before I was even preggies with my older son, who was born in December 1980. This is before most of our clients were even born, so I doubt many of you reading this know anything about it. BUT it was so exciting - certainly worth looking up you YouTube.
                  Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I meant political protests. Makes no sense for athletes to protest the Olympics but show up anyway.
                    Political or other protests aren’t allowed at the Olympics. I think athletes are punished fairly severely if they do.

Comment

Olympics are great.

Mine is watching Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean ice-dancing to Bolero at the 1984 Sarajevo Winter Olympics, and seeing the judges award their performance a perfect score (every judge gave them a 6).

Comment

Originally posted by abds View Post

Political or other protests aren’t allowed at the Olympics. I think athletes are punished fairly severely if they do.
                        That’s what makes it interesting. I mean, if someone protests on the medal stand, what can they really do, take their medal away? I suppose they could be struck from the books, but that doesn’t really change what everyone just saw with their own eyes.

Comment

Track and field is my favorite sport, and the Olympics its showcase. I can’t wait!
                          Sure, the 1989 Miracle on Ice will live forever in my mind - I was in college watching with my 8 person communal house partners!
                          As for learning who won prematurely, I have spent decades perfecting my skills at not learning sports results I have taped!
                          Last edited by Antares; 06-13-2021, 09:26 AM.
                          My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

I love the idea of the olympics but the TV coverage is garbage (in the USA anyway don't know about other countries). There is so much filler and dragging it out. The commentary is banal. Hopefully there are better options this year. Particularly, I am hoping streaming options are improved.

Comment

I like watching archery, especially the team competition.

Comment

Working...
                              X