Electric vehicle options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric vehicle options

I've read through the long thread on Tesla, but have a different question as it pertains to EV's.

I'm likely taking a new position that will require between 50-150 miles daily. With where I live it's a must that I have access to the HOV lane to cut time off my commute. For that reason, I am leaning towards selling my 2008 Honda with 170k miles and upgrading to an EV. The car is starting to have some issues and becoming less and less reliable (and more of an anxiety provoker) every month that goes by.

My new employer will offer a $400/month car stipend, but the kicker is that the car must be <5 years old to qualify. So to make this worth it I likely need to get a 2019 or newer to avoid having to upgrade again in a few short years.

Any specific recommendations on vehicles I should look into?

Any vehicles to avoid like the plague?

I've been browsing the Hyundai Kona/Kia Niro as alternatives to a Tesla Model 3, as I am trying to keep the costs as low as feasibly possible. I think something like a Leaf is too small, and I have no interest in a Prius. Truth be told I am tempted to spend the bank on an F150 Lightning (because what I really want is a truck!), but I know it's not the most financially sound decision.
    Last edited by AZPT; 08-22-2021, 10:13 PM.

Kona is nice if you're in the market of the 3. Has the legs. Brother -- Niro is CUV that'll work too. They both were #2 options while we waited for the Y.

Comment

Owned a prius, a plug in accord, and currently have a leaf and a y. Knowing what I know now I would get a 3.

Comment

At model 3 sr+ price points the Tesla will probably the best bang for your buck especially if driving long distances.

The most economical purchase would be the Prius. But if the employer is paying a large portion of the bill, get the Tesla.

Make sure you have charging and range figured out especially if you live in cold climates.

Comment

Your car must always be <4 years old or just when you buy it? If it must always be <4 years old to get the stipend and you’re planning on working there long term then this is one of the few situations I’d look into leasing.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post
            Owned a prius, a plug in accord, and currently have a leaf and a y. Knowing what I know now I would get a 3.
            are you not happy with Y or model 3 better overall?

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
              Your car must always be <4 years old or just when you buy it? If it must always be <4 years old to get the stipend and you’re planning on working there long term then this is one of the few situations I’d look into leasing.
              Or a new job. 100+ mile round trip needing an hov lane implies congestion and suffering and thousands of wasted hours over the years. Gotta be something better.

Comment

1. Your budget
                2. Max per day driving without charging
                3. Hot or cold weather. You will see significant range drops in Michigan in winter.
                4. Any charging available at the office.
                5. Can you have a 220V Level 2 charger installed in the garage.
                6. Any superchargers on the way for emergency use.

I would get the Y. Much more practical than the Model 3 for slightly more in price. Would not get SR+ - will have range anxiety issues with it. It will cost you <$100 per month in electricity if you charge at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post
                  1. Your budget
                  2. Max per day driving without charging
                  3. Hot or cold weather. You will see significant range drops in Michigan in winter.
                  4. Any charging available at the office.
                  5. Can you have a 220V Level 2 charger installed in the garage.
                  6. Any superchargers on the way for emergency use.

I would get the Y. Much more practical than the Model 3 for slightly more in price. Would not get SR+ - will have range anxiety issues with it. It will cost you <$100 per month in electricity if you charge at home.
                  1.b. Available rebates (no federal rebate for Tesla now)
                  “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

Originally posted by blippi View Post

1.b. Available rebates (no federal rebate for Tesla now)
                    This is a large portion of my thought, because if the rebate for Tesla was still in place I would choose Tesla hands-down. It just irks me that I can save $7,500 choosing a different brand, and it's what is making the decision more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
                      I need to clarify this, but my understanding is that the car needs to always be within four years of new in order to qualify for the monthly stipend. I, too, have wondered about leasing in this situation. Though I’ve never given this a previous thought and don’t know much about it other than it’s typically not the best financial option. Like you say, maybe I need to explore this more…

One of the challenges I’m having is that if I’m being honest with myself, I’m not sure if this new position will be lasting in the neighborhood of 5+ years or not. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s just the nature of the situation.

Comment

The kicker is that there's talk of bringing the ev credit back for companies past the phase out and increasing it. Who knows if/when that'll pass or if it'll be retroactive though.

Comment

A few other thoughts to address some of the comments posted:
                          - there will be no cold-weather issues, only 120° days to contend with (FML)
                          - most of my commuting will be from home to different hospitals in my region.
                          - I won’t be driving 150 miles a day on a consistent basis, but I do need the ability to do so if required.

Comment

Having owned/leased: 500e, Spark, Bolt, 3 and Y ---

If you plan for charging away from home with any regularity-- Tesla hands down.

If costs are primary driver - Kona
                            If costs+function - Niro

-Same for Tesla 3 vs Y - 3 is sports sedan -- Y is CUV - both fast and great range. Functions are completely different despite 70% similar components.

Comment

Great info…and I might’ve forgetten to mention the most important point....

I need to fit two car seats! 😂

Comment

Working...
                              X