This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick child care in covid era

So how r you getting help to take care of your sick kids in this era of covid??
    daycares don’t want sick kids. Schools don’t want sick kids. (Not complaining just how it is).
    are you finding babysitters/nannies ok coming to your germ infested house with toddlers full of snot??

how is this any different than before COVID? yes children can get COVID but they're still more likely to get the flu or sniffles. If one of my kids is sick then I'm staying home with them until they are fever free

Comment

Originally posted by JBME View Post
      how is this any different than before COVID? yes children can get COVID but they're still more likely to get the flu or sniffles. If one of my kids is sick then I'm staying home with them until they are fever free
      Well right or wrong I’ve found child care to be more lenient precovid...

Comment

We have a nanny. Because of that our kid never gets sick so it's not really an issue. Kindergarten is going to suuuuuuck though. Thankfully it's a year out and covid won't be such an issue (fingers crossed).

I'm not sure how you'd get a covid test on a toddler so if that's what they require to go to daycare that would be a real problem.

Comment

Pre-Covid, daycare, pre-k and school would require kids to be sent home if they had a fever, threw up, belly pain, etc., as far as I can recall. Every toddler has a runny nose all the time . . .

Comment

We had a live in aunt. Problem solved. The only issue was if we needed to provide transportation. Easily solved.

Comment

My kids learned this year that if they say that they have a runny nose, they get 2-3 days off of school. Pre-vaccine and with delays in testing, my wife had to take the day off, give the nanny several days off, bring both kids to 2 different pediatricians looking for rapid testing, then wait for results. Runny nose had resolved by the time we got to the second urgent care center, but we still had to follow through as the school nurse is automatically notified and in communication when kids are off. Post-vaccine, I imagine that they will be less stringent about it. I don't know if they are going be as strict about it going forward as most of the staff will/should be vaccinated. A lot of childcare centers and schools will still have policies preventing you from dropping off your sick child though. That's why you need family close by.

Comment

Originally posted by nephron View Post
                My kids learned this year that if they say that they have a runny nose, they get 2-3 days off of school. Pre-vaccine and with delays in testing, my wife had to take the day off, give the nanny several days off, bring both kids to 2 different pediatricians looking for rapid testing, then wait for results. Runny nose had resolved by the time we got to the second urgent care center, but we still had to follow through as the school nurse is automatically notified and in communication when kids are off. Post-vaccine, I imagine that they will be less stringent about it. I don't know if they are going be as strict about it going forward as most of the staff will/should be vaccinated. A lot of childcare centers and schools will still have policies preventing you from dropping off your sick child though. That's why you need family close by.
                Yea ugh our family not very reliable unfortunately..I

Comment

What, you don't overdose your kid with motrin and pray to the gods he'll make it through the day?

Comment

If it more than a mild illness, my (or my wife’s) job and patients will need to learn how to deal with us taking sick days off. We’ve learned the hard way that little kids being sick can seem like no big deal until they’re suddenly in respiratory distress.

Comment

Nope, someone has to take off work. Thankfully husband usually has a flexible work schedule so more often him than me. We've never had luck calling in someone last minute with sick kid. Preschool letting just runny nose into school now, so pros and cons- way more bugs will be spreading, but hopefully less need for testing and tests are coming back quickly now if needed.

Comment

for those thinking of hiring nannies make sure you put sick care in your ad and then in the contract.

as a 2 MD household we've occasionally just had to activate sick call.

it's a really good idea to be a good actor in a sick call/jeopardy/work coverage system and try to help out partners whenever you can. then when you need help people aren't rolling their eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerjw12 View Post
                          What, you don't overdose your kid with motrin and pray to the gods he'll make it through the day?
                          We always appreciated parents that would send their kids all doped up and spread crap around. Same for the "office warriors" that refuse to stay home sick and want "admiration" for their "toughness". Now everyone is screwed and pass it to their kids. Fact of life with kids and working around others.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            We always appreciated parents that would send their kids all doped up and spread crap around. Same for the "office warriors" that refuse to stay home sick and want "admiration" for their "toughness". Now everyone is screwed and pass it to their kids. Fact of life with kids and working around others.
                            “Office warriors “ LOL haven’t heard that before . Reminds me of my kids therapist coming to the house and had to use bathroom every 15min. After the 3rd time I called the company and they asked her if she was ok. She told them “ I have a stomach thing but I can battle through it”...I was like NOPE

Comment

Originally posted by Dontgetthejab View Post

“Office warriors “ LOL haven’t heard that before . Reminds me of my kids therapist coming to the house and had to use bathroom every 15min. After the 3rd time I called the company and they asked her if she was ok. She told them “ I have a stomach thing but I can battle through it”...I was like NOPE
                              PTO : These “benefits” = pay in companies.
                              Vacation and sick days. That 10 day vacation plus long holiday weekends are planned family activities, right?

Common colds and allergies means it’s OK. Huge motivation No one wants to miss a paycheck nor cut short vacations or a holiday. Unintended consequence is flu, colds and crud are routinely brought into the workplace. Just like sending sick kids to daycare. Human nature. Messaging is “I am dedicated to work”. Reality is I don’t want to use a PTO day.

Comment

Working...
                              X