3 Row mid-sized SUV recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pierre View Post
    When did Kia and Hyundai become nice vehicles? I remember hearing about them being junk when I was growing up, but I’ve never actually owned one

i asked the same question after one of the anesthesiologist at my local hospital said he’s getting a Hyundai SUV. I looked at Consumer Reports and both Hyundai and Kia have great scores on their SUVs

Comment

Originally posted by gap55u View Post
      Thanks to all for the advice. My wife simply hates the honda minivan, so I think my thoughts have been colored by that. The Pacifica Hybrid with tax incentive is interesting - I will check that out, and independently evaluate my desire for a minivan or not. .
      I cannot speak for the hybrid but the standard Pacifica drives more like an SUV than a minivan.

The knob shifter takes some getting used to but it is not a big deal.

Comment

The new Toyota Sienna is one of the only minivans available with all wheel drive (the other might be the Pacifica). I’m not sure what your motivation was for considering SUVs, but if mobility in inclement whether is important - that might be something to consider.

Comment

We have both a 2018 Honda Odyssey and a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica. The Honda has outperformed the Pacifica is most ways except for the middle row collapsing into the floor of the Pacifica. We have the Odyssey for my wife and family trips. The Pacifica is for the nanny and when I'm running the kids around. Fwiw we had a Highlander before the vans and I'm happy to have the vans instead. Getting kids in and out is so much easier with sliding doors. We test drove a Sienna before we bought our Odyssey and found it very clunky despite the durability reputation.

My base response though is that whether you go with any of the Odyssey, Pacifica or Sienna, all are better for hauling kids than an actual SUV.

Comment

I'm eyeing out the Kia Carnival and telluride for a near future family hauler.

Comment

Audi Q7 although 3rd row is tight.
              bmw x7 with middle row bucket seats.
              buy used from 60-80 k

Comment

It was several years ago. And you get a ton of value/luxury for so much less money, and due to old rep, you also get a fantastic warranty.

Telluride looks better, but the Palisade is actually the better deal, more lux and everyday options you'll love. Otherwise same.

Comment

Originally posted by Dicast View Post
                  We have both a 2018 Honda Odyssey and a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica. The Honda has outperformed the Pacifica is most ways except for the middle row collapsing into the floor of the Pacifica. We have the Odyssey for my wife and family trips. The Pacifica is for the nanny and when I'm running the kids around. Fwiw we had a Highlander before the vans and I'm happy to have the vans instead. Getting kids in and out is so much easier with sliding doors. We test drove a Sienna before we bought our Odyssey and found it very clunky despite the durability reputation.

My base response though is that whether you go with any of the Odyssey, Pacifica or Sienna, all are better for hauling kids than an actual SUV.
                  I admit I never owned an odyssey but I test drove it and know a lot of other parents with it and I am on team Pacifica. It felt like I was driving a garbage truck that was going to tip over with every gentle curve.

However it did come with a vacuum in the back...

Maybe I am miss remembering or over exaggerating in my mind.

Oh yeah the pacifia seats fold in awesome. And when they are out you have a secret hatch in the floor. Kind of like the Millennium Falcon. That is what sold me!

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I admit I never owned an odyssey but I test drove it and know a lot of other parents with it and I am on team Pacifica. It felt like I was driving a garbage truck that was going to tip over with every gentle curve.

However it did come with a vacuum in the back...

Maybe I am miss remembering or over exaggerating in my mind.

Oh yeah the pacifia seats fold in awesome. And when they are out you have a secret hatch in the floor. Kind of like the Millennium Falcon. That is what sold me!
                    In my experience the ride quality of the Odyssey is better, firmer with less roll and a more responsive transmission. The other difference between our two vehicles is the Odyssey is the top trim Elite and the Pacifica is the next to bottom trim with automatic doors. With that in mind the Odyssey is more comfortable in about all seats. Otherwise they both have about 280 hp, 9-10 speed transmissions, automatic doors and get similar mpg. We've had a similar number of recalls on both. We don't fold seats down so much as we have car seats in the way most of the time, so the folding seats aren't quite as big a deal. Again, I think getting a minivan as a parent just makes sense no matter which brand you go. We just got back from the zoo and hauling 3 kids with one stroller is a breeze, no door dings.

All that said, I think I'm running to the end of my daily driver and am looking seriously at pre-ordering a F150 Lightning. It would be nice if the minivans would start to offer electric sometime too.

Comment

Go test-drive the Volkswagen Atlas. Currently on our second one (we lease). It is very spacious and has a ton of room in the 3rd row (this was a deciding factor for us). We also lease a Ford Explorer but it is inferior in terms of its 3rd row leg room. The Atlas is an exceptional SUV and reasonably priced. Good luck with your search.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTodd View Post
                        If you want a true people/cargo mover. do what I did and buy a Chrysler pacifica hybrid. 30 miles of battery, followed by 30 mpg hybrid. Thus far for our daily use, that has translated to 16000k miles as an EV and 4000 as a hybrid. Easily hauls 8. Easily folds seats into floor (or remove front seats) and haul almost anything a pick up truck will. Easier to get kids into and out of due to sliding doors. Better acceleration and handling then most of the SUVs due to electric motors and batteries in the floor. Also a lot less wear and tear on the expensive part (the combustion engine) And it still qualifies for full federal incentives, so a loaded trim model cost me 32k new (before tax, but after tax incentives). If you can get over the mental hurdle that you're driving a minivan, and honestly imo the modern vans look just as good as the SUVs, you're making life a lot easier for yourself.
                        Yeah, I would like to get the Pacifica Hybrid's range and fuel economy, but with Toyota or Honda build quality and reliability rather than Fiat Chrysler's.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank View Post

Yeah, I would like to get the Pacifica Hybrid's range and fuel economy, but with Toyota or Honda build quality and reliability rather than Fiat Chrysler's.
                          My friend owned the Town and Country minivan in the late 90's and I got to drive it often ( when it was able to be driven and not in a mechanic shop).

The number of issues it had made me resolve to never buy a Chrysler. Reliability is the last item in their menu. I don't think the Pacifica is any better. At least Kia and Hyundai seemed to have made some progress.

Comment

Working...
                          X