Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Model X with second-row captain's chairs

Comment

Check out the Ford Explorer. Wife just got a 2020 with 12 k miles on Platinum edition and we are beyond happy with it.

Comment

wish i had gone minivan instead of suv. hard to appreciate the value with kids (low to ground, sliding doors) until you have them. still like smaller cars, so of i went this route would consider mazda5 (discontinued)
        “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

just traded up from a minivan to the Hyundai Palisade. It is a fantastic car, as is its sister the Kia Telluride. Either of those are the best of this mid sized 3 row SUV class and you should get one if you can. We considered getting the Genesis equivalent just for availability issues, but fortunately didn't have to.

Comment

I bought a Toyota Sequoia from rental car place, was 1.5 years old and about $20K less than new price. had about 30K miles. Love it. Also have three kids, all carseats fit across back row, dog in very back with 3rd row down or can have 3rd row up with boosters for friends of kids. Great cars...

Comment

We had a 95 Mercury Villager, 99 Odyssey, 01 Honda Stream (mini-minivan overseas), 04 Sienna, 09 Odyssey, 14 Odyssey. Our four children are all in their twenties now but I refuse to surrender my minivan and it's versatility. Such an incredible hauler - of everything!!

Sorry about your Odyssey experience. Our Sienna was a dog and the 09 Odyssey had transmission issues at 80k which is unacceptable in my opinion. Of the vehicles listed, I like the Subaru. We are converts to Subaru from Honda in recent years.

Comment

Never had a Traverse but did have a Suburban for 10yrs and 180K miles and liked it. I've become a believer in Toyota products. They are so reliable and long lived. We only had 2 kids so never had to consider a minivan.

Comment

I would go with a minivan. We loved our Honda Odyssey.

Comment

When did Kia and Hyundai become nice vehicles? I remember hearing about them being junk when I was growing up, but I’ve never actually owned one

Comment

We have both a Highlander and MDX. While the MDX is nice, now that we've transitioned to booster seats, it's much nicer and easier just to have them all in the backseat and find carseats that fit all across. The 3rd row in these things just aren't for daily commutes it seems like. I wouldn't restrict yourself to 3 row SUVs.

Comment

I'm going to be a contrarian and say none of the above. The prices for these mid-size and larger SUVs has ballooned like crazy and the value for money isn't there.

If you want a mid-size 6 or 7 seater, buy a model y with the third row. Infinitely better performance then any of the above SUVs and surprisingly close in price if you don't opt for full self driving (don't). The only reason to avoid would be if you plan on frequent long trips and aren't near superchargers. Once you experience the torque on an electric, you will not want to go back. It is more expensive, but by less then you'd think. A highlander limited is 44k. Model Y 3 row is 53k before any tax incentives your state may have (federal have expired for Tesla). 0-60 is 7.2 seconds vs. 4.8 seconds. Even if you don't care much about speed, having the extra power on tap is nice.

If you want a true people/cargo mover. do what I did and buy a Chrysler pacifica hybrid. 30 miles of battery, followed by 30 mpg hybrid. Thus far for our daily use, that has translated to 16000k miles as an EV and 4000 as a hybrid. Easily hauls 8. Easily folds seats into floor (or remove front seats) and haul almost anything a pick up truck will. Easier to get kids into and out of due to sliding doors. Better acceleration and handling then most of the SUVs due to electric motors and batteries in the floor. Also a lot less wear and tear on the expensive part (the combustion engine) And it still qualifies for full federal incentives, so a loaded trim model cost me 32k new (before tax, but after tax incentives). If you can get over the mental hurdle that you're driving a minivan, and honestly imo the modern vans look just as good as the SUVs, you're making life a lot easier for yourself.
                        Last edited by TheTodd; 06-02-2021, 09:12 AM.

Comment

We've had an Ascent Touring for about 18 months. It's served us well. I know there have been some folks with issues related to squeaky brakes, transmissions, fuel consumption. I avoid buying first year new designs from Subaru. The model was released in 2019, ours is a 2020. 2022's should be out soon, so I'd expect most of the issues to be worked out.

Comment

A Subaru BRAT with a small couch in the back could fulfill all of your wants and needs.

Comment

anyone consider ford transit connect passenger version? looks like they are planning on an electric. VW is planning for an electric minibus.
                              “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice. My wife simply hates the honda minivan, so I think my thoughts have been colored by that. The Pacifica Hybrid with tax incentive is interesting - I will check that out, and independently evaluate my desire for a minivan or not. .

Comment

Working...
                                X