No announcement yet.

Second careers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assumed that after I retired from medicine that I would start volunteering but so far no. I seem to find lots of things to do. I am not sure how I had time to work.

Comment

I retired 6 years ago at 59. No license renewal, got my insurance refund for 20+ years, and never looked back. So today, I walked my 3 dogs for an hour. Coffee and the New York Times cover to cover. Went to Chautauqua and hiked for 2 hours.Then beer and bookstore on Pearl street. Home to practice guitar and again play with the dogs.
      Sure, I could be operating on ANOTHER facelift or breast augmentation, but why?
      Tried the volunteer route at a hospice and the spca, but just not me. Also their schedules don’t allow travel options.
      The world post medicine looks markedly different when you get older.

Comment

Originally posted by Auric goldfinger View Post
        I retired 6 years ago at 59. No license renewal, got my insurance refund for 20+ years, and never looked back. So today, I walked my 3 dogs for an hour. Coffee and the New York Times cover to cover. Went to Chautauqua and hiked for 2 hours.Then beer and bookstore on Pearl street. Home to practice guitar and again play with the dogs.
        Sure, I could be operating on ANOTHER facelift or breast augmentation, but why?
        Tried the volunteer route at a hospice and the spca, but just not me. Also their schedules don’t allow travel options.
        The world post medicine looks markedly different when you get older.
        I spend a lot of time walking my 2 dogs. In fact I am doing PT now because I think they caused me to injure my SI joint.

Comment

Since retiring 4 yrs ago my "job" is real estate investing and involvement on the board of a local landlord group. I find it fun meeting with other investors and learning other approaches. Had lunch this week with a guy who is successfully flipping farmland. I didn't know that was possible. Problem solving properties is stimulating and can be lucrative. I've been to state legislature committees testifying on anti-landlord legislation. There's a myriad of ways to occupy yourself and stay active outside of medicine.

Comment

I love just learning and would love to have more time to learn about things that I never got a chance to learn in college. I've just finished learning about the Special Theory of Relativity and was surprised that a basic understanding of it was within my reach. The General Theory of Relativity is more complicated and I'd like to learn the math behind it at some point. The fact that Einstein came up with all this with just a pen, paper, and his brain is amazing. Quantum Mechanics is just bizarre but I still find it fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by HikingDO View Post
              To each their own, but I can’t imagine after I retire and stop working to again start.....working. There’s too many things I’d love to do that don’t involve trading my time for more money that I don’t need.
              Exactly.

Boring people get bored. Find hobbies and enjoy them. Explore life. Play games. Get in shape. That is not purposeless. That is not selfish. That is just what it is... and that is what everyone wants to be able to do. Afterlife and karma and similar are total crap made up to make people okay with being relatively unhappy and having little control of their time. You only get one shot, so don't ever feel bad about taking it. That is why rich people set it up so their kids don't have to work. The enable the endless weekend with flexible and cheap travel, no pressure, and plenty of time to think and have fun and stay in shape. "Everybody's workin' for the weekend"... so they can not set an alarm, not hope their supervisor approves their vacation slot, not face pressure of deadlines or whiny clients.

There is nothing wrong with the "retirement job" in terms of a volunteer gig or something for 20hrs per week max if you want to meet people. That volunteer or high school type of job is more often for middle class old people who don't have much money for travel or dining or entertainment and need to fill up the time, though. If you're considering that, you are probably not as FI as you think? For most docs, that time could be better spent playing in adult sport leagues, game groups, etc and accomplish the same socialization effect.

The plain fact of the matter is that feeling overwhelmed, frustrated, unappreciated, etc are 99% due to being on someone else's schedule (usually a company), having someone else control your supplies or staffing, being forced to commute in rush hour, etc. Being an entrepreneur is often a lot better since you can control the schedule and many factors, but it's no picnic either... you still have major burnout potential and temptation to work 70hr weeks and DIY many things to make more money. Why would you opt back in for any of that if you didn't have to? And at much lower pay!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Taryn Rose - Ortho surgeon’s second career.
                https://www.enricocuini.com/about

https://www.google.com/amp/s/footwea...202694909/amp/

Pricey! Some FB female Ortho groups love it. Custom shoes . Niche market. But there is a market.
                Please don't tell me she is wearing those in the OR! As a female surgeon.... (although someone who do not wear high heels unless the occasion makes me), I would be worried about slipping, falling, and being able to cover them with shoe covers!

Comment

If you want to teach.... why do it in high school? Why not teach at the Medical School level? Or teach students at the free clinic? Or volunteer at the high school in their careers class and be the doc perspective? Just some other thoughts/ideas....

Podcast to listen to is Hippocratic Hustle. It is all about side gigs for docs and has great ideas on other careers.

Comment

Originally posted by SLC OB View Post

Please don't tell me she is wearing those in the OR! As a female surgeon.... (although someone who do not wear high heels unless the occasion makes me), I would be worried about slipping, falling, and being able to cover them with shoe covers!
                    Bling (with comfort) for clinic is what I have been told. I have no idea how that could be comfortable. Evidently they do custom sizing at the various profession conferences. It is what it is.

Comment

I'd like to do medicine as a volunteer, internationally or at home. Would also like to be a Zamboni driver.

Hubbie will garden and coach youth soccer full-time.

Comment

Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post
                        I am early in my second career, working as a medical director at a large healthcare company. I had a trial of (forced) retirement when I was furloughed from my two part-time radiology jobs last spring, and I did not like it very much. Admittedly, March/April/May of year one of COVID was probably not the best time to be a retiree!

That said, I enjoy the current job so far quite a bit. It is interesting, I am learning a lot about medicine and the insurance business, my colleagues are mostly intelligent and pleasant, and I work from my home. I take an hour for lunch everyday. Time goes by quickly, and I am hardly ever bored. The workload has ramped up and can be busy, but never stressful in the way that making tough medical decisions can be or dealing with complications from your procedures.

Of course, there is no fear of lawsuits. Some people worry about blowback from their superiors or the regulatory agencies, but from my perspective, the absolute worst thing they can do is fire me. When you are FI and doing the job just to have something productive to do, it is of little concern. I never thought that I could take to such a job, but I have, and it seems like the perfect Career 2.0 for me.
                        What does a medical director in radiology do?

Comment

Originally posted by SLC OB View Post
                          If you want to teach.... why do it in high school? Why not teach at the Medical School level? Or teach students at the free clinic? Or volunteer at the high school in their careers class and be the doc perspective? Just some other thoughts/ideas....
                          You mentioning those alternatives made me think that if someone wanted to teach then teaching GED classes would have the chance to be rewarding for someone wanting to get into the teaching profession. On the other hand, they may want someone with lots of teaching experience as I think that would be a pretty big challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by CrockettsRiver View Post
                            I'd like to do medicine as a volunteer, internationally or at home. Would also like to be a Zamboni driver.

Hubbie will garden and coach youth soccer full-time.
                            I used to drive a Zamboni and still have it on the CV!

Comment

Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

You mentioning those alternatives made me think that if someone wanted to teach then teaching GED classes would have the chance to be rewarding for someone wanting to get into the teaching profession. On the other hand, they may want someone with lots of teaching experience as I think that would be a pretty big challenge.
                              Wife did significant volunteer work for a homeless shelter. Counseling and GED classes were part of it. Being bilingual was a huge plus. The reality is understanding the conversations about whether the pimp will let them come to class and finish programs is pretty heavy duty. You basically are trying to salvage kids futures. Some don’t like the rules. No idea the success rate. If one was helped, that’s success.

Comment

I left medicine at 42, taught myself accounting, finance, and equity valuation, then started work as a healthcare equity analyst at 44. I earned the CFA designation after I started the job, then left for an MBA, then ran a hobby RIA before returning to practice cardiology after a 13 year hiatus.

I may return to active investing when I retire the next time. If so, I might create a blog to share/discuss ideas.

I might teach myself to code and see where that leads.

I never went to class during college (just crammed with the text the day before the tests, except for classes that came solely from lecture notes) or the first two years of med school (transcript service), and you can find anything you need online now. I wouldn't recommend a return to school unless you think you'd enjoy something about the school experience; it isn't necessary for anything you might want to do.

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Working...
                                X