How to store gasoline??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to store gasoline??

I admit, I’m not much of a handyman but trying to learn some basics.

For storing gasoline for generators/small engines:
    -how long is stored gas(in a can) good for without fuel stabilizer? Google says 3-6mths. Can some comment if they have used 6mth old gas without a problem? I got 15gallons of 3mth old gas wo stabilizer that I’m trying to figure out whether to dump or try to salvage.
    - If I try to salvage my 3mth old gas, can I put stabilizer into a full can and expect it to work? Google says stabilizer should be added first, then add gas.

Why not put the old gas in your car and get some new gas?

I leave the gas in my snowblower every summer for 6 years now without an issue.

Comment

I would go with the expert advice, particularly for emergency supplies. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ele...-Gasoline.html

Comment

I go 6 months without even starting to think about it. 3 months is nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

Agree with the first line.

Shocked at the second!

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post

Agree with the first line.

Shocked at the second!
            Remember I am in upstate new York. Snowblower season is longer than lawnmower season
            I left gas in that too when I had one

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

car takes premium only. Gas cans have regular

Comment

Grocery bags ftw

Comment

I store it in 2 gallon plastic gasoline containers in my basement which stays cool with no direct sunlight. My local gas station has no-ethanol gas which I use for my lawn mower. Supposedly lasts longer than gas containing ethanol. I used to use Stabil but decided it was unnecessary. I keep gas up to 6-8 months and my lawn mower starts on the first pull.

Comment

If you use a laundry hamper you never have to worry about old gas. Few.

Comment

Originally posted by Dontgetthejab View Post

your car will not explode.

Lordosis, yes, I am familiar with Upstate weather. it also snows in other places! in the spring, I take great care to empty out the gas tank and then fill it with stabilizer and pull that a few times to circulate it. perhaps I don't need to baby it? but I figure the 30 min of time is worth it when my Honda fires up on the first pull.

Comment

Ok. But how about the scenario where I put the satabil into a 3mth old full gas can/generator . Will it still extend the life of the gasoline some?

Comment

Ok. But how about the scenario where I put the satabil into a 3mth old full gas can/generator . Will it still extend the life of the gasoline some?
                          Theoretically.

Comment

I admit, I’m not much of a handyman but trying to learn some basics.

For storing gasoline for generators/small engines:
                            -how long is stored gas(in a can) good for without fuel stabilizer? Google says 3-6mths. Can some comment if they have used 6mth old gas without a problem? I got 15gallons of 3mth old gas wo stabilizer that I’m trying to figure out whether to dump or try to salvage.
                            - If I try to salvage my 3mth old gas, can I put stabilizer into a full can and expect it to work? Google says stabilizer should be added first, then add gas.
                            For two-stroke engines that I use infrequently and require a fuel+oil mix (chainsaw, tiller/cultivator...) I use this: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/oi...-fuel/motomix/

I don't have an emergency generator, but if I did I would keep some of this around: https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/optima (lasts for years).

If you aren't going to do either of those, make sure you buy ethanol-free gas so it lasts as long as possible (it won't be as good as either of the above products though).

I don't know what to do with the old fuel. Don't ruin your machinery. The last time I had the carburetor rebuilt on a chainsaw it was $75 or so.

Comment

How many gallons of regular do you have? If you dump that in your car is unlikely to bring the entire fuel tank's octane low enough to cause problems if it is full. If it did lower the octane appreciably, unless your car is very old, it can easily adjust the spark timing to compensate. Plus you can always add some "octane booster" if you are really worried.

Plus plus unless you have a lot of regular gas, even though gas prices have increased, it is probably less than $20 of gas. Give it to someone to put in their "regular" car. ... Like me.

​​​
                              $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

Working...
                              X