Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need new clothes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by MPMD View Post

    let me ask you a more fundamental question.

    if you are trying to put together a few nice outfits for looking "presentable," why are you trying to do it super cheaply?

    having 6-8 nice button down shirts, 3 nice pairs of trousers (which do not have to scratchy wool), and a nice pair of timeless black/brown shoes will up your game by 100X based on what you are saying and if you spent $1500 on this project you would likely revolutionize the way you look.

    this system would last you for 10 years if you don't dress up much and buy simple, timeless things. that's $150/year.

    i am probably more partisan on this than the avg WCIF participant, i really think in a professional setting it's critical to look sharp and professional. you can accomplish this while never being uncomfortable and never wearing a tie btw.

    if you are someone who prides yourself on not caring about your appearance, i would challenge you to ask yourself if it's holding you back professionally. dressing nicely can NEVER hurt you, the opposite is simply not true.
    - this isn’t for professional settings. I don’t really care about professional advancement.

    - there’s a good chance I could gain another 25-30 pounds back - ESPECIALLY if I am in a hospital setting and garbage food is being shoved in my face all day long. Plus it’s too easy to spill spaghetti sauce or soda on a $100 shirt and then have to replace it.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by MPMD View Post

      let me ask you a more fundamental question.

      if you are trying to put together a few nice outfits for looking "presentable," why are you trying to do it super cheaply?

      having 6-8 nice button down shirts, 3 nice pairs of trousers (which do not have to scratchy wool), and a nice pair of timeless black/brown shoes will up your game by 100X based on what you are saying and if you spent $1500 on this project you would likely revolutionize the way you look.

      this system would last you for 10 years if you don't dress up much and buy simple, timeless things. that's $150/year.

      i am probably more partisan on this than the avg WCIF participant, i really think in a professional setting it's critical to look sharp and professional. you can accomplish this while never being uncomfortable and never wearing a tie btw.

      if you are someone who prides yourself on not caring about your appearance, i would challenge you to ask yourself if it's holding you back professionally. dressing nicely can NEVER hurt you, the opposite is simply not true.
      Yea. As above, I don’t dress up often, but I’ve started buying tailored clothes when I do. This way, I don’t end up buying something that I end up not liking later and it fits perfectly. If you shop the sales at high end men’s clothing stores, you can usually find pants for under $150, usually under $100 plus $20 for tailoring. I’ve bought about 2 pairs a year for the past 3-4 years and now have a really nice wardrobe. I buy high end dress shirts when they go on sale. They look better and last longer. Beyond that, as above, I usually just buy casual Patagonia stuff which lasts and looks good. Usually I buy the $35-$45 caplene cool shirts when they go on sale. Ive probably spent $500-1000/y on clothes and have a pretty nice wardrobe.

      Comment


      • #33
        How do ya’ll keep track of the sales at these stores? Do you get catalogs, subscribe to their emails, or follow deal sites?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Lithium View Post
          How do ya’ll keep track of the sales at these stores? Do you get catalogs, subscribe to their emails, or follow deal sites?
          I'd check out the subreddit called frugal male fashion. Link below:

          https://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmalefashion/

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Lithium View Post
            How do ya’ll keep track of the sales at these stores? Do you get catalogs, subscribe to their emails, or follow deal sites?
            Ha! Order something just once from J Crew Factory and you will get almost daily emails announcing sales, etc. In fact, that’s pretty much the case with any online retailer, in my experience.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Bmac View Post

              Ha! Order something just once from J Crew Factory and you will get almost daily emails announcing sales, etc. In fact, that’s pretty much the case with any online retailer, in my experience.
              LOL. Yeah, I’m wondering if anyone has a system down that doesn’t rely on getting spammed.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Lithium View Post

                LOL. Yeah, I’m wondering if anyone has a system down that doesn’t rely on getting spammed.
                Nordstrom has the same three sales at the same times every year.

                The "half-yearly" sale is going on now: https://www.nordstrom.com/?origin=tab-logo

                The anniversary sale occurs a little later each summer, and there will be a sale after Christmas.

                https://www.groupon.com/coupons/blog...sales-calendar
                Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

                  I'm glad it is okay with you! And you are right most people probably wouldn't notice or care. Unfortunately one of the people who would notice and care is my wife. And I do highly value her opinion of me.
                  That was mistake number one. When I picked up my wife for a second date, she claims I was coming from a rotation in one of the most wrinkled, unironed shirts she had ever seen. I told her that was entirely possible. She knew who she was getting. All future efforts at dressing me up have been futile.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I like Orvis, banana republic, Patagonia and some brooks brothers.

                    Usually browse the sale sections first. With returns so easy these days, I just order a few, try them on and if I don't like it, send it back. Simple.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Lithium View Post
                      How do ya’ll keep track of the sales at these stores? Do you get catalogs, subscribe to their emails, or follow deal sites?
                      I don’t. There’s just a nice mens store close to my house in an area we walk frequently. I’ll stop in maybe once a month and browse the sale rack.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Precovid I was shirt/tie/slacks daily. Since covid I’m rotating 10 golf polos and 5 slacks/jeans. Don’t think I’ll ever go back to precovid.
                        i may step it down a notch and go to daily scrubs...

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Have worn nothing but scrubs to the hospital since COVID began and it was mandated. But the clothes I do have are mostly from Brooks Bros, J Crew, Banana Republic, and random t-shirts from various companies. Also like Lee’s jeans. I subscribe to various mailing lists and have a BB rewards card. Never make a purchase that isn’t on sale or with rewards points.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            I'm a fan of the minimalist capsule wardrobe. Fewer decisions in the morning, less spending, and look at least decent. I've upgraded to designer jeans and nicer shoes but still spend less money than when I had a fuller wardrobe.

                            I'm wearing solid gray, charcoal, or blue t-shirts. Dark blue or black jeans. Couple button down shirts in light blue and gray. Gray crewneck sweater and hoodie. Wool coat in charcoal. Plain white sneakers or white Nike's (I like killshots). Navy and khaki shorts for the summer.

                            Stylistically, I look like the Everlane catalog. They're way overpriced for the quality IMO. In terms of value, I like Jcrew on sale, Jcrew factory, and Uniqlo. Banana republic is ok too but only at 30-40% discount.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              I think that quality and fit are the most important thing when choosing clothes.

                              Stores my spouse and I shop at are:

                              Brooks Brothers for dress clothes (alterations in store)
                              Lululemon for athletic clothes (alterations in store including for leggings)
                              REI for athletic clothes
                              Nike Online Store for casual and athletic clothes
                              Everlane for good quality cotton items
                              Nordstrom for dress and casual clothes (alterations in store)
                              Anthropologie for casual clothes
                              Old Navy for casual clothes

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Check out PrAna online for men’s shorts, and casual, active, and casual-business style pants/jeans. When you find what works for you from them, it may really work. They have good quality, decent stuff. I don’t own many of their shirts though, as I find them, and Patagonia, to make pretty boxy shirts, and I like shirts a bit more fitted.

                                I cruise REI, but I actually have better luck with Backcountry for online sale shopping for casual and outdoor stuff, from Patagonia, Arcteryx, Mountain Hardwear, stuff like that.

                                I’ve been a fan of all kinds of places in the past. Ive found, over the years, no place for clothing works forever. Eventually, they all start selling dated, cheap junk to boost profits, and you’ve got to move on after a while. Sometimes they crash and burn or turn it around again years later.

                                In person, I’ve had good luck at Nordstrom’s and Nordstrom’s Rack, but it’s got to be sale stuff. Macy’s in some areas is great (big cities), while Macy’s in other areas can be full of pure junk at the same time.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X