No announcement yet.

I need new clothes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For button down shirts to wear out (not professional suit attire) I like untucked. J Crew online is good too for pants shorts shirts etc

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
      I've lost about 20 pounds over the past 6 months, would like to lose about 10 more but starting to get to the point where I think I can update my wardrobe.

I prefer to just wear t-shirts and gym shorts all the time, but I would like to sometimes be more presentable. Most of my t-shirts I've just gotten for free over the years, and many of them are dated over 20+ years ago. I've just been wearing scrubs at work for the last year, and before that I was wearing stuff that also was barely presentable (mostly a size too big, no additions in 5+ years).

So I guess I want to know where posters go to buy new button down shirts and the like, where they feel like they get the best quality and value, and the hit to the wallet is the least painful. Last week I went to Ross and TJ Maxx and determined I wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything in the aisles there. I am past the point of scouring thrift stores and yard sales.

Some of the options within a few miles are Old Navy, Dillards, Aeropostale, Burlington, JC Penney, Express, Target, Wal-Mart, Macy's, Nordstrom, American Eagle, Banana Republic. Which are the best, and which are the worst?

All opinions welcome... I think I'd rather work all Saturday at a cash only Adderall clinic than try to pick and try out clothes at all these places.
      congrats on the weight loss. That’s incredible.

buy quality not quantity. So avoid Ross TJ Max target. Costco. Etc. these clothes are made cheap and won’t last long.

bonobos, Nordstrom, uniqlo. all great and they last.

dont need to buy a ton. Just a few good pieces then mix and match.

Comment

wife buys all my stuff online. any reason to hit that purchase dopamine pathway.

congrats on the weight loss.

Comment

I have been buying the same pants on Amazon in 3 different colors the past few years. My wife jokes that I should sign up for subscribe and save. I really hate shopping and would wear the same thing every day like a cartoon character if it was socially acceptable

Comment

Knowing you, I think your best bet is to utilize a personal shopper at Nordstrom. I don't understand hating shopping but my neighbors do and this is what they do. It is free and they ask what you like and do a fitting. Then they can pick stuff out for you. You can look good without putting in much effort:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
              I have been buying the same pants on Amazon in 3 different colors the past few years. My wife jokes that I should sign up for subscribe and save. I really hate shopping and would wear the same thing every day like a cartoon character if it was socially acceptable
              Something to be said for a consistent wardrobe for business casual wear. Two basic colors for shirts and slacks. Mix and max.
              Think about it, a consistent "uniform classy look" is the "snobby prep school uniform". That is what dress uniforms are for.

Comment

Uniqlo

Comment

Oh man. I have a set of stretchy white dress shirts from Uniqlo and a set of brown dress pants. And I wear them every single day at work. It's great, and if someone thinks it's weird: *shrug*

Comment

I am needing some professional clothes as well. Aside from bonobos who else has free shipping/returns? Don't enjoy going into store and don't live near anything nice within close drive.

​​​​​​Some of the Amazon branded stuff is nice for the price. I like the slim fit polos

Comment

Originally posted by legobikes View Post
                      Oh man. I have a set of stretchy white dress shirts from Uniqlo and a set of brown dress pants. And I wear them every single day at work. It's great, and if someone thinks it's weird: *shrug*
                      The same pair every day? Or a set of 5

Comment

It’s okay with me if you wear the same thing everyday. I actually have a colleague that does this, and I’m a little envious. I’m sure after two weeks anyone that notices will no longer care

Comment

It's the "time" involved with all aspects (purchasing and maintaining) of clothes that is really the issue.

Find an online or box store that has easy returns and find items that fit and look good on you.

Commit to spending the time yourself rather than having a spouse or a personal shopper do the legwork.

You will look and feel great with the new clothes you purchase.

Donate the old and big clothes that no longer fit you.

Comment

Originally posted by pierre View Post

It’s okay with me if you wear the same thing everyday. I actually have a colleague that does this, and I’m a little envious. I’m sure after two weeks anyone that notices will no longer care
                            I'm glad it is okay with you! And you are right most people probably wouldn't notice or care. Unfortunately one of the people who would notice and care is my wife. And I do highly value her opinion of me.

When I was a med student one of my rotations with was with a neurologist who wore the same tie every day for the whole month. Me and the other students are trying to guess if he had different versions of that same tie or if it really was the petri dish we thought it was.

Comment

I'm glad it is okay with you! And you are right most people probably wouldn't notice or care. Unfortunately one of the people who would notice and care is my wife. And I do highly value her opinion of me.

When I was a med student one of my rotations with was with a neurologist who wore the same tie every day for the whole month. Me and the other students are trying to guess if he had different versions of that same tie or if it really was the petri dish we thought it was.
                              🤣
                              Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
                                I've lost about 20 pounds over the past 6 months, would like to lose about 10 more but starting to get to the point where I think I can update my wardrobe.

I prefer to just wear t-shirts and gym shorts all the time, but I would like to sometimes be more presentable. Most of my t-shirts I've just gotten for free over the years, and many of them are dated over 20+ years ago. I've just been wearing scrubs at work for the last year, and before that I was wearing stuff that also was barely presentable (mostly a size too big, no additions in 5+ years).
                                let me ask you a more fundamental question.

if you are trying to put together a few nice outfits for looking "presentable," why are you trying to do it super cheaply?

having 6-8 nice button down shirts, 3 nice pairs of trousers (which do not have to scratchy wool), and a nice pair of timeless black/brown shoes will up your game by 100X based on what you are saying and if you spent $1500 on this project you would likely revolutionize the way you look.

this system would last you for 10 years if you don't dress up much and buy simple, timeless things. that's $150/year.

i am probably more partisan on this than the avg WCIF participant, i really think in a professional setting it's critical to look sharp and professional. you can accomplish this while never being uncomfortable and never wearing a tie btw.

if you are someone who prides yourself on not caring about your appearance, i would challenge you to ask yourself if it's holding you back professionally. dressing nicely can NEVER hurt you, the opposite is simply not true.

Comment

Working...
                                X