I need new clothes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need new clothes

I've lost about 20 pounds over the past 6 months, would like to lose about 10 more but starting to get to the point where I think I can update my wardrobe.

I prefer to just wear t-shirts and gym shorts all the time, but I would like to sometimes be more presentable. Most of my t-shirts I've just gotten for free over the years, and many of them are dated over 20+ years ago. I've just been wearing scrubs at work for the last year, and before that I was wearing stuff that also was barely presentable (mostly a size too big, no additions in 5+ years).

So I guess I want to know where posters go to buy new button down shirts and the like, where they feel like they get the best quality and value, and the hit to the wallet is the least painful. Last week I went to Ross and TJ Maxx and determined I wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything in the aisles there. I am past the point of scouring thrift stores and yard sales.

Some of the options within a few miles are Old Navy, Dillards, Aeropostale, Burlington, JC Penney, Express, Target, Wal-Mart, Macy's, Nordstrom, American Eagle, Banana Republic. Which are the best, and which are the worst?

All opinions welcome... I think I'd rather work all Saturday at a cash only Adderall clinic than try to pick and try out clothes at all these places.

I also avoid TJ Maxx and ross - they feel like a garage sale. No selection in normal sizes, too much chaos for me. We like Banana Republic - they usually have big sales with 20-40% off so we stock up then. Their quality is fine for the price. Dillards is always good, but I no longer live in an area with one, but when I am near one I usually stop in. Nordstrom is great but gets pricey. Anything cheap at Nordstrom winds up being kind of cheap quality, in my opinion. Macy's is similar to Dillards, so it's pretty good. I hate Old Navy, nothing I've ever bought there lasted very long, so I haven't bought from them in 15 years or more. Aeropostale, Express, and American Eagle seem geared more towards the under 30 crowd in my experience. I like target workout clothes, I haven't bought anything else there. Burlington and penney's aren't ever on my radar for some reason. I always watch for sales, which are usually seasonal. I hardly every buy clothes at full price.

My brother actually buys tons of clothes on Amazon - I like to try my stuff on first, so that doesn't work for me, but you might check that out.

Comment

I can't say I'm known for my fashion as I'm a gym shorts and t-shirt guy myself (the lady who cut my hair the other day asked me if I had been painting my house. I hadn't and I didn't even have paint on me. Whatever, lady.) The few times a year I need to wear a nice long sleeve button down I'll usually wear a Brooks Brothers shirt. I have the same ones I've had for the last 5-7 years but they seem to be of good quality and fit well. I feel like Costco will have some decent clothes but my wife makes fun of me when I buy and wear Costco clothes (jealous much, babe?).

Comment

My wife buys most of my clothes for me online. I do have some pants from Express that I like. If you want more shorts I recommend Vuori.

Comment

Well was going to suggest TJ Maxx buuuuut...

Congrats on the weight loss though.

Comment

+1 on BB for work shirts. not the cheapest but good quality. last i knew they have a big sale once or twice a year.
            “. . . And the LORD spake, saying “First shalt thou take out the Holy 401k. Then shalt thou save to 20%, no more, no less. 20% shall be the number thou shalt save, and the number of the saving shall be 20%. 25% shalt thou not save, neither save thou 15%, excepting that thou then proceed to 20%. 30% is right out . . .””

Comment

For button downs/work shorts look up Charles Tyrwhitt. Great quality and fit, you can usually find coupons to get them for 3 for 100.

For T shirts and casual ware, I like Banana republic on the lower end (wait for sales) or Wings + Horns on the higher end

Comment

Nordstrom.
                Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried (many) bags for a lovely and gracious 59 yo Cyd Charisse. (RIP) Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

Comment

Banana republic and gap. Amazon good threads. JCrew, if that's still a thing.

Comment

J Crew online. Typically have lots of decent quality/reasonably priced things on sale. With the weight loss, you might like the slim/untucked style shirts and slim khakis. I’m pretty thin (5’ 8”, 135 lbs) but found the skinny pants to be uncomfortably tight.

Comment

I like Banana Republic. Reasonably priced, relatively fashionable...I think.

Comment

Originally posted by CM View Post
                        Nordstrom.
                        +1

Comment

Bonobos.

Comfortable, fashionable, good online return policy. Pricier than most options listed by others here but frequent sales make it more palatable.

Comment

I almost exclusively wear Patagonia stuff during the summer. My wife jokes that it’s my uniform. Their t-shirts and polos are super comfortable, last long, fit well and don’t cost an arm and a leg. We have a local clothing store that carries a lot, but REI usually has a good selection. I don’t wear much in the way of “nice clothes” since I’m usually in scrubs or doing casual stuff and my church is pretty casual. Don’t know if it’s available where you’re at, but the khaki shorts by Southern Tide look like nice khakis but feel like gym shorts. When I do get “nice clothes” I usually go to an upscale local men’s store and will just buy a shirt or pair of pants or whatever I need for a specific occasion, usually on sale. I have a couple pairs of nice pants and jeans I’ve had tailored. They usually end up costing $80-150 including alteration, but I really feel good in them. Lululemon has some nice casual/athletic clothes for men that hold up, but they’re a little pricey and fit small.

Nordstrom has a once a year sale that’s pretty good where my wife tends to load up on clothes for the kids or anything she’s been eyeing.

I find that when I buy gap, old navy, j crew, banana republic, etc they tend to look worn and pill pretty quickly. I like J Crew outlet for cheap stuff I want for a special occasion (think, need an obnoxiously loud beach shirt for a pool party). Aeropostale, Express and American Eagle are where high school boys shop.

Comment

Congratulations on your weight loss - what a success story!

I can’t imagine actually driving from store to store (or, worse, going to the mall - ugh) to try on clothes, haven’t done that in maybe 10 years? So much available to compare styles, prices, and deals online and the good companies make exchanges very easy. Or buy 2 sizes and send 1 back. Be sure to search for coupon codes for whatever stores you are considering, especially if you are a first-time consumer. Almost always can snag a 20% off deal on first order that way. You have a lot of great suggestions above - try a little online shopping.
                              Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
                              X